Voided my warranty...

oli356

Reaction score
So my car was in for a service today with Audi

I got a call from them saying that there were 2 error codes relating to the engine and they asked if I had done any mods, I was honest and said what has been changed .. no point hiding it when they can clearly see its not stock.
  • Pedal box
  • Exhaust flaps permanently open (cable unplugged)
  • BCS res delete pipe
I get a call a while later once the service advisor spoke with the technicians and she confirmed that my warranty is now void. It expires next April I believe but kind of annoying that it is void, I've asked to see if they can give me any codes which might indicate what the errors were referring to, otherwise I have to pay for them to diagnose for me.

I know the exhaust flaps flagged up an error on Carista.
The res delete is just a pipe, so no errors here surely..
Pedal box, not sure if it would bring up an error or not...

I guess I should have removed the pedal box and connected the exhaust valve cable again before it went in but I thought it wouldn't matter and I was a bit pushed for time... my fault I suppose! It will not go in for a service again before the warranty expired, but hopefully no issues between then and now. On the plus side, this service is being paid for by Audi UK.

That must be the pedal box? The res delete is mechanical and may at worst void the warranty of the exhaust from the catalyst and back since Audi is providing a similar solution for American vehicles (part no. 8V5 071 904).

And unplugging a cable can't void any warranty, good luck trying to prove that 1. it makes any damage and 2. didn't do that by themselves.

I would've gone mad if I still got more than a couple of months warranty left.

Reactions: 4K
The lesson is there. Take time to take the pedal box off, and re-connect the gable.

You can't blame Audi. If you alter the car, and something goes wrong, why should they then fix it for free?

How come Audi are paying for the service?

Think yourself lucky you don't have a Porsche. I've heard stories of them voiding the warranty due to no OP Wiper blades. This is on cars that have had engine issues, so not related. None standard? Warranty void.

Reactions: 4K

I got a call from them saying that there were 2 error codes relating to the engine and they asked if I had done any mods, I was honest and said what has been changed .. no point hiding it when they can clearly see its not stock.
  • Pedal box
  • BCS res delete pipe
I get a call a while later once the service advisor spoke with the technicians and she confirmed that my warranty is now void. It expires next April I believe but kind of annoying that it is void, I've asked to see if they can give me any codes which might indicate what the errors were referring to, otherwise I have to pay for them to diagnose for me.

I guess I should have removed the pedal box and connected the exhaust valve cable again before it went in but I thought it wouldn't matter and I was a bit pushed for time... my fault I suppose! It will not go in for a service again before the warranty expired, but hopefully no issues between then and now. On the plus side, this service is being paid for by Audi UK.

Your Pedal box should not have been detectable unless it was faulty or unless a cabling fault was generated and then not cleared when you installed it, which would have prompted Audi to have a look under the dash.

Exhaust flaps permanently open (cable unplugged), this should not void a warranty as Audi should just plug them back in a clear the faults.

BCS res delete pipe Some dealerships will be ok with this, most won't. It should not have generated any errors though. Had mine on for a while now and nothing has flagged.

I would ask them to put the reasons for voiding your warranty in to writing but something to think abut in the meantime.... if you are on PCP you might get a letter asking for full settlement as mods like the res delete are against the T's and C's.

Reactions: Bristle Hound and Joe4842
Audi themself sells an oem res delete. so, don't think it's that. valve being open is no big deal. as people mention, it's the pedal box.

I think the problem is you openly admitted to them that you had modified the car.

I guess the next step is to argue that these mods do not justify voiding all warranty.

And if an issue should arise, it will be the case of you and Audi arguing whether or not these mods "could" of caused the issue.

I think the problem is you openly admitted to them that you had modified the car.

I guess the next step is to argue that these mods do not justify voiding all warranty.

And if an issue should arise, it will be the case of you and Audi arguing whether or not these mods "could" of caused the issue.

regardless if he told em or not. i had my warranty void on my old Allroad. i had the Revo software and it went in for warranty work. i never mention anything.

My car had decat rear pipes, upgraded rear ARB, MSS spring kit eg obvious mods to anyone looking at it. The Audi garage still replaced the front headlight cluster (LED) under warranty when it fogged up. Seems harsh to void entire warranty imho ... are you an ar*e with them when you go in ;)

TX.

Not many people realise this but Audi actually have to prove that the item you are claiming warranty works against has been adversely affected by a modification, not the customer. This is why I would want everything in writing. If its the pedal box they are moaning about then unless its created electrical issues and shorted something out there is not really any systems which it could affect as all said box is doing is taking the input angel of the vehicles pedal and adding X percentage to it. Cannot see how they can void a drive train or electrical warranty for that.

Reactions: KenL
Just got back from the dealers..
@wab172uk - Audi UK are paying for the service because it took them 4 months and however many people to determine that you needed a phone paired to the car (Bluetooth) to remain logged into Audi Connect. No where in user documentation did it state this, the dealership I bought the car from had no idea, Audi UK weren't sure, my local dealer had the car in on 2 occasions while dealing with Audi UK .... so service was for the messing around.

This was my 1st service (19k miles) so just oil / filter changes... the invoice says £470!!!!! Glad they paid.

-

I admitted the mods because I felt like denying them wouldn't help, especially when 2 out of the 3 (flaps/res delete) are obvious when standing under the car. The pedal box I admitted because if they had discovered it, I felt like I could have been in a worse situation after not declaring it and if they were looking for engine faults. Yes I have myself to blame for not removing it.

@DJAlix - interesting to hear what you say about the warranty and that they have to prove it. I asked if the warranty is void for everything or only things they consider related, so if my electronic handbrake failed, then it shouldn't be related. So things related to the engine/exhaust I imagine they will not cover, gearbox - who knows....

I did request the error codes (thumbnail below)... the exhaust flaps are obviously shown on there (21388 and 21399) but I'm unsure about the rest.
IMG 20180306 154811 01

The answer I was getting on what component exactly voids the warranty though was a bit unclear...

In 2 minds if I should just leave it and hope I don't have any problems, or try and do something about it. The car isn't on PCP though at least, so I'm pleased to do as I want with it.

Last edited:
Slightly concerned about this is as I wanted a res delete on my car but having purchased a 5 year warranty and with the car only being 10 months old I don’t want to risk voiding any warranty besides the exhaust.

I actually emailed Audi UK yesterday to get it confirmed in writing about what part of the warranty would be voided if I were to install the Audi American Resonator Delete Kit as it’s only about £140 online. Haven’t heard anything back from Audi yet but I’ll post on here when I hear back.

Reactions: S3GEEZER and oli356
Just got back from the dealers..
@wab172uk - Audi UK are paying for the service because it took them 4 months and however many people to determine that you needed a phone paired to the car (Bluetooth) to remain logged into Audi Connect. No where in user documentation did it state this, the dealership I bought the car from had no idea, Audi UK weren't sure, my local dealer had the car in on 2 occasions while dealing with Audi UK .... so service was for the messing around.

This was my 1st service (19k miles) so just oil / filter changes... the invoice says £470!!!!! Glad they paid.

-

I admitted the mods because I felt like denying them wouldn't help, especially when 2 out of the 3 (flaps/res delete) are obvious when standing under the car. The pedal box I admitted because if they had discovered it, I felt like I could have been in a worse situation after not declaring it and if they were looking for engine faults. Yes I have myself to blame for not removing it.

@DJAlix - interesting to hear what you say about the warranty and that they have to prove it. I asked if the warranty is void for everything or only things they consider related, so if my electronic handbrake failed, then it shouldn't be related. So things related to the engine/exhaust I imagine they will not cover, gearbox - who knows....

I did request the error codes (thumbnail below)... the exhaust flaps are obviously shown on there (21388 and 21399) but I'm unsure about the rest.
View attachment 150215

The answer I was getting on what component exactly voids the warranty though was a bit unclear...

In 2 minds if I should just leave it and hope I don't have any problems, or try and do something about it. The car isn't on PCP though at least, so I'm pleased to do as I want with it.
None of the DTC’s visible within your image would have been caused by any of your listed mods. I would be asking them to justify their actions.

Edit: and what I should have added was, the flaps related DTC’s would have cleared if reconnected, so actually used your mod caused them but they are not damaged or causing issues. It would be like saying I removed my TFSI badge from the back of the car, and as such have voided my paint warranty, or removed the cigarette lighter from my car and replaced with a 12v blanking plug and thus voiding the electrics warranty lol

Reactions: V6_Man
None of the DTC’s visible within your image would have been caused by any of your listed mods. I would be asking them to justify their actions.
Ok good to know thanks.... I feel like it will be painful to try and get in writing why they are doing this, but if something happens in the next year - then it will be worth the pain I'm sure..

-

Seems like my car went on a 10 mile drive while having its service done in dynamic mode too..... average speed showed 6mph but that was because trip was registered over 90 minutes. I wouldn't be surprised if a couple of miles was done to make sure everything was ok, but 10 miles?

Reactions: Rich345
Ok good to know thanks.... I feel like it will be painful to try and get in writing why they are doing this, but if something happens in the next year - then it will be worth the pain I'm sure..

-

Seems like my car went on a 10 mile drive while having its service done in dynamic mode too..... average speed showed 6mph but that was because trip was registered over 90 minutes. I wouldn't be surprised if a couple of miles was done to make sure everything was ok, but 10 miles?
lol At least your dealership took yours for a test drive. Last time mine went in for some warranty works, one being wind noise due to a known issue / TPI, they told me they took it for drive and found no issues. What they actually did was sweat FA as my Dashcam was recording the whole time Hatfield Audi had it lol

Reactions: KenL
lol At least your dealership took yours for a test drive. Last time mine went in for some warranty works, one being wind noise due to a known issue / TPI, they told me they took it for drive and found no issues. What they actually did was sweat FA as my Dashcam was recording the whole time Hatfield Audi had it lol
We can't win can we haha :)

Just saw your edits above about the flaps DTC - yup agree with you. But it sounded like Audi were saying, even if I plugged the cable back in, the fault might go .... but it's already been done.
If I stab you with a knife and remove the knife.. the damage has been done kind of thing. Pathetic argument though of course as its exhaust flaps....

At least from the DTC visible, are any of the others of concern? From a driving perspective, the car is fine ... =)

We can't win can we haha :)

Just saw your edits above about the flaps DTC - yup agree with you. But it sounded like Audi were saying, even if I plugged the cable back in, the fault might go .... but it's already been done.
If I stab you with a knife and remove the knife.. the damage has been done kind of thing. Pathetic argument though of course as its exhaust flaps....

At least from the DTC visible, are any of the others of concern? From a driving perspective, the car is fine ... =)
well kinda, but the faults would have cleared when plugged back in, the wound would have healed with no damage done. This is what I was saying about they have to prove issue. Now if the flaps had become seized due to not being moved or operated as intended after being unplugged for a prolonged period of time, well that could maybe attributed to the mod and Audi should charge accordingly but in no way void any warranty while doing so. The whole drive train / TD 1 warranty thing is primarily there to stop engine modification. If modded and producing more power then in theory you could be stressing the related components beyond VW Groups design limits and would therefore not be under warranty, totally understandable. Flashed back to stock? Well the warranty should still be void and like the knife wound damage or stress could / would already be done. Lets look at it another way, remove and unplug your MAF to clean it, plug it back in = void warranty? Remove engine cover, remove coil pack harness, remove coil packs and change spark plugs = void warranty? They cannot do that without unless you broke the sensor wire in the MAF or cracked a plug and have proved it was you who did it.

Edit: and lets say that they did prove it was you who broke the MAF sensor wire, well after paying for a replacement would they void your warranty? Don't think so.

Reactions: V6_Man, Rob2k68 and oli356
@DJAlix ....Spot on, you modify via software or other mods to increase engine power, your warranty is void. Res deletes and other mods to the exhaust system negate only the warranty for the exhaust. As one has mentioned the Audi res delete option is an Audi approved component in North America and Audi UK would have a hard time proving that would exclude the warranty. The only reason I think it is not available in the UK is for EU sound regulations and was not tested as a factory system upon receiving EU stamp of approval and therefore can not be supplied for use in the UK.

Reactions: Ormesome, Bells, Rob2k68 and 1 other person
I wonder what they could argue the pedal box could impact and void that warranty.

I've sent an email to Audi UK - FAO the only individual who was helpful during my issues which ended up with me getting the gesture of goodwill, provided by him. Possibly should have gone to the dealership first but based on the uncertain answers they were providing earlier, I think this might be the best way to get an answer in writing - before the end of 2018 at least :)

Wow this seems crazy. Hope you get a satisfactory reply.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Pedal box
  • BCS res delete pipe

My gearbox was replaced under warranty whilst I had my pedal box left in the car. The master tech even said it himself that he noticed the pedal box and said that it doesn’t affect the warranty as all it does is change the throttle map and nothing actually in the ECU.

Reactions: oli356 and Gazwould
My gearbox was replaced under warranty whilst I had my pedal box left in the car. The master tech even said it himself that he noticed the pedal box and said that it doesn’t affect the warranty as all it does is change the throttle map and nothing actually in the ECU.
Good to know.

I suppose Audi dealerships have guidelines on when they can not cover something under warranty and can't just make it up themselves....? Though between dealerships I'm sure it is different as it appears to be from yours to mine.. guidelines are one thing, interpretation is something else =)

Good to know.

I suppose Audi dealerships have guidelines on when they can not cover something under warranty and can't just make it up themselves....? Though between dealerships I'm sure it is different as it appears to be from yours to mine.. guidelines are one thing, interpretation is something else =)

I don’t understand what your dealerships, issue is ? It’s not the dealership who pays for the warranty work but rather Audi uk. And if Audi uk haven’t flagged your car with a td1 or alike since it hasn’t been ecu tuned then I don’t see what’s the dealership are trying to get too.

Since you told them it was modded, I’m guessing they have assumed it has been ecu tuned aswell and have blacklisted your car. a technician at my dealer asked if my car had be tuned for more horsepower which may have caused the transfer box/gearbox to fail. Told them no, if I was lying then it would have shown on the scans they sent to Germany to warrant my claim. (Yes they took a whole scan of the whole ecu and everything to be sent to Audi in Germany to be looked at). They claimed it was to see what the issue was for the 4wd not working but I knew what it really was for.

I don’t understand what your dealerships, issue is ? It’s not the dealership who pays for the warranty work but rather Audi uk. And if Audi uk haven’t flagged your car with a td1 or alike since it hasn’t been ecu tuned then I don’t see what’s the dealership are trying to get too.

Since you told them it was modded, I’m guessing they have assumed it has been ecu tuned aswell and have blacklisted your car. a technician at my dealer asked if my car had be tuned for more horsepower which may have caused the transfer box/gearbox to fail. Told them no, if I was lying then it would have shown on the scans they sent to Germany to warrant my claim. (Yes they took a whole scan of the whole ecu and everything to be sent to Audi in Germany to be looked at). They claimed it was to see what the issue was for the 4wd not working but I knew what it really was for.
Well it feels a bit strange because nothing apparent was wrong with the car but they just wouldn't even diagnose the engine faults it seemed .... which doesn't make much sense to me.

Diagnosing a fault should be part of the service/inspection surely. If they then discover that my engine is about to explode because I've tuned it (I haven't), that's when we need to discuss warranty. Surely diagnosing and replacing under warranty are different.

Will see what Audi UK say, if i get an email response - never are the quickest..

Warranty works are assigned specific procedures and time slots. In order to get paid for the works they need to present all the related documentation and evidence just like an insurance claim sorta thing, and then VW Group will pay out, but only up to the "max" amount of time allotted to the job eg if the fault has 45mins assigned to it by the factory but it takes 5 hours for the dealership to resolve... they will only be able to claim for the 45mins. The dealership can undertake works with mods in place but if VW Group notice this they can dismiss the claim, leaving the dealership out of pocket.

Well it feels a bit strange because nothing apparent was wrong with the car but they just wouldn't even diagnose the engine faults it seemed .... which doesn't make much sense to me.

Diagnosing a fault should be part of the service/inspection surely. If they then discover that my engine is about to explode because I've tuned it (I haven't), that's when we need to discuss warranty. Surely diagnosing and replacing under warranty are different.

Will see what Audi UK say, if i get an email response - never are the quickest..

Unless your not the first owner of the car, then it could have been mapped and then put back to stock. But I don’t see why they have said your warranty is out the window if you haven’t tried to claim anything against warranty.

Have you not got a claim handler from Audi uk. They assigned me someone who contacted my dealer on a regular basis to try to come to a solution to fix my issues, who then would keep me updated.

Unless your not the first owner of the car, then it could have been mapped and then put back to stock. But I don’t see why they have said your warranty is out the window if you haven’t tried to claim anything against warranty.

Have you not got a claim handler from Audi uk. They assigned me someone who contacted my dealer on a regular basis to try to come to a solution to fix my issues, who then would keep me updated.
Interesting point .. no I'm not the first owner, there was 1 before me. So who knows really what was done prior. But, it was purchased from Audi as Approved Used so comes with a 1 year warranty I think anyway (regardless of age?). So what would Audi do if they got a car in that was flagging an error because it was/had been mapped - I guess they send it to auction or something, unless they can put it back to stock and clear errors.

As for claim handler, no.

Had a call from the Audi UK exec office, they are going to speak to my dealership (service manager and service advisor who I was dealing with).

He clarified that they could investigate the issue but if it turned out my mods were causing the faults, then the time for the investigation I would have to pay for. But then also said what has been in this thread about it being Audi UKs decision whether a warranty claim is accepted or not.

Waiting to hear from him after he speaks with Reading.

I wonder what would happen if I took my car back in with the exhaust plugs in and pedal box removed ........ in theory, abracadabra, the exhaust flaps fault would go, if the peddlebox was causing a fault it should be gone (unless it needs to be cleared?) and don't think the res delete causes a fault anyway. @DJAlix - what do you think about this?

Last edited:
Interesting point .. no I'm not the first owner, there was 1 before me. So who knows really what was done prior. But, it was purchased from Audi as Approved Used so comes with a 1 year warranty I think anyway (regardless of age?). So what would Audi do if they got a car in that was flagging an error because it was/had been mapped - I guess they send it to auction or something, unless they can put it back to stock and clear errors.

As for claim handler, no.

Well that makes it abit more clearer then, about you not being the first owner. Can you confirm that the car has indeed been flagged with the TD1 flag ? If yes surely Audi can see when the ecu was modified right ? If it was prior to your purchase then I guess that’s your dealerships fault and you just so happen to be the victim unfortunately.

Well that makes it abit more clearer then, about you not being the first owner. Can you confirm that the car has indeed been flagged with the TD1 flag ? If yes surely Audi can see when the ecu was modified right ? If it was prior to your purchase then I guess that’s your dealerships fault and you just so happen to be the victim unfortunately.
Not sure about the TD1 flag, they didn't mention it. Just that the computer was giving engine related faults (their words).

Had a call from the Audi UK exec office, they are going to speak to my dealership (service manager and service advisor who I was dealing with).

He clarified that they could investigate the issue but if it turned out my mods were causing the faults, then the time for the investigation I would have to pay for. But then also said what has been in this thread about it being Audi UKs decision whether a warranty claim is accepted or not.

Waiting to hear from him after he speaks with Reading.

I wonder what would happen if I took my car back in with the exhaust plugs in and pedal box removed ........ in theory, abracadabra, the exhaust flaps fault would go, if the peddlebox was causing a fault it should be gone (unless it needs to be cleared?) and don't think the res delete causes a fault anyway. @DJAlix - what do you think about this?
This is what I was basically trying to say a few posts ago :) Historic DTC (diagnostic trouble codes) would need to be cleared but there should basically be no issues. Never known a res delete to throw a code, but then if Audi don't like it they can void the exhaust warranty and leave the rest intact. Pedal box might cause an issue with the pedal but if its busted they can charge you for a new pedal, warranty the replacement install and give you the standard 2 year Audi parts warranty etc

Reactions: oli356
Response I received from Audi UK for those interested, sounds to me like if I had a res delete and my engine went bang they’d still try to argue about warranty but maybe I’m just sceptical :whistle2:

I can confirm that the fit to your exhaust would not invalidate your overall warranty. However, any modification made to the vehicle will be thoroughly tested if the vehicle ever develops a fault which you want to claim for under the terms of the warranty. If it is found that the modifications influenced or caused the fault, the warranty will not cover any necessary work or repairs.

Reactions: wab172uk
I picked up my new S3 on Monday and the dealer actually asked if I would be modifying the vehicle in anyway - Never been asked that before

I did think that the mod had to effect the actual problem though for them to throw out a warranty claim although never modified any of mine

Waiting on my call from Audi UK today, I suppose though as the car has no apparent issues I just need to wait (and hope) that I don't have any... if a fault develops with the engine or whatever, then will need to battle with Audi then about warranty. But for now just leave it.

But as things seem to be running fine, I suppose I have nothing to worry about for now. Just annoying how Audi have said there are fault codes, so need to decide if I want them to look into them or not, and if they are engine related then will have to go through the process of them blaming my mods so that I don't have to pay for the time it took to diagnose.

I guess it sounds like you can’t even change the type of brand/tyres you put on the car without losing your warranty. I guess they can use that as an excuse to not pay out for example a suspension issue.

Stickier tyres have caused more wear on the suspension hence why it failed.

:blahblah1:

Reactions: josul and Bells
Waiting on my call from Audi UK today, I suppose though as the car has no apparent issues I just need to wait (and hope) that I don't have any... if a fault develops with the engine or whatever, then will need to battle with Audi then about warranty. But for now just leave it.

But as things seem to be running fine, I suppose I have nothing to worry about for now. Just annoying how Audi have said there are fault codes, so need to decide if I want them to look into them or not, and if they are engine related then will have to go through the process of them blaming my mods so that I don't have to pay for the time it took to diagnose.

I’ve just been reading this thread as I’m looking at getting a res delete. Was there a final decision by Audi UK or did you not go for the investigation?

I’m tempted to wait until my warranty expires having read the thread. I thought (as most others have) that a res delete or any bolt on small adjustment would only affect the warranty for that area of the car!

I’ve just been reading this thread as I’m looking at getting a res delete. Was there a final decision by Audi UK or did you not go for the investigation?

I’m tempted to wait until my warranty expires having read the thread. I thought (as most others have) that a res delete or any bolt on small adjustment would only affect the warranty for that area of the car!
I just left it basically. Whatever they wanted to diagnose (albeit not exactly sure what) but wouldn't because of the mods, I've ignored as the car drives fine.

As for the warranty well.. It still sounded very confusing. So yes it will void it for that part of the car, so the exhaust. That's clear. But then who knows how they will claim components are linked together...

Reactions: randy4
I just left it basically. Whatever they wanted to diagnose (albeit not exactly sure what) but wouldn't because of the mods, I've ignored as the car drives fine.

As for the warranty well.. It still sounded very confusing. So yes it will void it for that part of the car, so the exhaust. That's clear. But then who knows how they will claim components are linked together...

I’ve only just bought my S3 and thought that it needs the res delete as standard having heard it removed on another S3 8V. I think for the sake of 6 months or so I will wait.

I’ve only just bought my S3 and thought that it needs the res delete as standard having heard it removed on another S3 8V. I think for the sake of 6 months or so I will wait.
Code / unplug to open the exhaust valves if you haven't already. That makes a nice difference :)

Code / unplug to open the exhaust valves if you haven't already. That makes a nice difference :)
Is that not the same as running dynamic mode all the time but at lower revs? Or are the valves never truely open in dynamic?