Virtual cockpit...honest opinions

Masslob

Reaction score
Hi all

I originally ordered my daytona s3 with the tech pack and the cockpit. But when I read up that it actually did nothing extra and just looked cool af I thought it an expensive luxury and blapped it

Now after seeing that literally everyone on here has ordered it, i got non-buyers remorse (want to be like the cool kids!). Phoned the dealer but its too late to change , as it's starting to get built on Monday :(

Now those who have it and have played with it please tell me it's an expensive gimmick so I feel better ;)

But honestly..do you regret ordering it or are proud?

Reactions: illingworth22 and Audi Bairn
I have it on the TT, although don't have the Tech pack for Sat Nav. It was the first option I ticked on the options list of the S3... it just makes the whole dashboard really flexible and you have lots of choice on what you want to display. I think on the A3/S3 its even better as you have 2 displays and can choose where you want to show certain bits of information.

Reactions: Audi Bairn and Rob2k68
I have it on the TT, although don't have the Tech pack for Sat Nav. It was the first option I ticked on the options list of the S3... it just makes the whole dashboard really flexible and you have lots of choice on what you want to display. I think on the A3/S3 its even better as you have 2 displays and can choose where you want to show certain bits of information.

Thanks that's made me feel even more gutted lol :)

I had it on the TTS loan car I had last year and would defo spec it on any future order if it were available

Reactions: Rob2k68
I originally didn't spec it, then I used it (in a TT) and thought about the fact that at some point in the not-too-distant future, VC is going to become more prevalent across the Audi range (offered as standard perhaps in some cars/trim levels), so from a future-proofing and residual value/ease of resale point of view, I thought I'd best ring up and add it, for the sake of the £400-odd quid difference over the tech-pack I was getting anyway.

Reactions: Audi Bairn
Sorry- I think it's great. Not sure I'll use much of the Audi Connect, but the dash makes me smile.

Mine is a lease for 2 years so it's not that big a deal. But for those two years I wanted something state of the art (don't see bmw or merc with a virtual cockpit hah)

I'm hoping the lease company ignored my updated order and processed the original one with the VC but I know I'm not that lucky lol

I love it! But I'm a tech-geek. There is so much more information on the screen and it makes the car look much more modern. Everyone I have showed has said Wow and want to see it in operation. Also, I think it will help re-sale value.

Sorry, were you hoping to hear it was a load of old cack? ;)

Reactions: ItsStando and Gordo77
I love it! But I'm a tech-geek. There is so much more information on the screen and it makes the car look much more modern. Everyone I have showed has said Wow and want to see it in operation. Also, I think it will help re-sale value.

Sorry, were you hoping to hear it was a load of old cack? ;)

Yup I was hoping to hear. It's a pile of pants and you made the right choice :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:

Seems the leasing company has ***** up the colour and it's silver and not daytona grey. My day just keeps getting better lol

Reactions: richinsoton and Rob2k68
Yup I was hoping to hear. It's a pile of pants and you made the right choice :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:

Seems the leasing company has ***** up the colour and it's silver and not daytona grey. My day just keeps getting better lol

Arghhhh... I guess it might look like Daytona on a dark night!!??? :)

Can you not cancel and try and get a stock car or one which is already on order?

Upload 2016 9 15 17 20 40
...lol
On a serious note I would try what Gordo has suggested and cancel the order and try for one that might be in stock/pipeline??

I am not a tech geek, don't have it now and wouldn't spec it in the future :)
Just imagine the repair cost a few years down the line..............

Does that help ?

Reactions: richinsoton and WarwickL
That's like me when I equipped my car without Bang and Olfuson.

If you ask me, Audi should be selling this as dealer install accessories to take-in money they might end up being spent on aftermarket.

How much is it £400 about £10 on to your monthly ............naw............

Reactions: Rob2k68 and pburv
You won't be disappointed in Floret Silver. It's a stunning colour and changes constantly with the light. Keep it and you'll love it.

Still to see the VC in the flesh. I'm not a tech-geek so it wouldn't bother me. Although it would be nice if this becomes a standard feature across the range in the future.

Reactions: Snake Pliskin, Jassyo06 and pburv
Wonder how many Virtual Cockpit...guys will use the excuse, l was too busy looking at my cockpit when l rear ended you sorry.......:blink:

Reactions: richinsoton, Rob2k68 and pburv
Wonder how many Virtual Cockpit...guys will use the excuse, l was too busy looking at my cockpit when l rear ended you sorry.......:blink:
I suppose that depends which nightclub they frequent..lol

Reactions: Rob2k68, lfcrule1972 and Jassyo06

Does that help ?

Ohhh, will there be a repair cost down the line? ;) It's powered by Nvidia hardware... and yes things can go wrong, but it adds a lot of value to the car and driver.

Love the VC and don't find it distracting at all, not as bad as the pop up screen.
Love the big REV counter display..

Reactions: Rob2k68 and Gordo77
Ohhh, will there be a repair cost down the line? ;) It's powered by Nvidia hardware... and yes things can go wrong, but it adds a lot of value to the car and driver.

Bollards...it wont add nowt value to the car..residual wise....but it will add a lot pleasure to the first owner...Tech pack will ..........add some ££ to the residual,You'll be amazed at how the value of your car plummets........in the first year............Audi offered me £24k...that's £11k....less than l got it for...after discount...

Reactions: richinsoton, Rob2k68, pburv and 1 other person
Bollards...it wont add nowt value to the car..residual wise....but it will add a lot pleasure to the first owner...Tech pack will ..........add some ££ to the residual,You'll be amazed at how the value of your car plummets........in the first year............Audi offered me £24k...that's £11k....less than l got it for...after discount...

:readit: You can only get the VC with the Tech pack tho...The option is Tech Pack Advanced. :)

Trust me, I know how much the TT has plummeted in its first year! Just the way of the market right now I think.

Reactions: pburv, Rob2k68 and Jassyo06
:readit: You can only get the VC with the Tech pack tho...The option is Tech Pack Advanced. :)

Trust me, I know how much the TT has plummeted in its first year! Just the way of the market right now I think.

TT has it standard though...kinda...lol,the TT's residuals are worse than the S3's...trust me...lol...the worst S3 for residuals is a manual 3 door....but @Gordo77....who gives a Fu Manchu....about residuals...YOLO

Reactions: Rob2k68 and pburv
Indeed all the above points made me decide to lease rather than buy.

For the price of a new specced up s3 (38k) I can drive a brand new specced up s3 for 6 years (it's costing me 11k over 2 years) and be able to change the latest model every 2 to 3 years.

Sure I'll never own it but will have had so much fun and not worry about resale for 6 years

I'll speak to the guy tomorrow but tbh colour and vc are bonuses. I can live without them and just remember for my next car

I'm hoping they say "we can change then colour and the vc but will charge you a couple of hundred" I'd do it haha

Thanks for all your comments guys you have truly made me realise what a doofus I am ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: Jassyo06 and pburv
Arghhhh... I guess it might look like Daytona on a dark night!!??? :)

Can you not cancel and try and get a stock car or one which is already on order?

Cancelling when it's already been teed up for build on Monday will incur a charge. If I have no choice so be it. As long as I have the engine the leather and the handling I'll be happy.

Reactions: pburv
I love it but imagine how slow and old it will look & run in a short period of time. New tech, such as screens and so on, are only just coming to cars, so imagine the pace of development. Is the A3 the first mainstream-ish car to run this kind of tech? I imagine that it will look outdated within a few yrs and there will be nothing you can do about it. I had an A1 as a courtesy car recently (Sline 2016) and couldnt believe the low res, crappy quality of the central display of it. It was all pixelated and looked like an old Windows 2000 graphics!

Reactions: Jassyo06, pburv, richinsoton and 1 other person
I haven't seen it in action yet but the VC ended up being the only reason why I stuck with Audi and went for the S3 instead of the Golf R! I'm all about the tech!

Reactions: Jassyo06 and pburv
I haven't seen it in action yet but the VC ended up being the only reason why I stuck with Audi and went for the S3 instead of the Golf R! I'm all about the tech!
It will be on my spec sheet if I order a new S3 in the future...A lot could happen in 12 months or so :shrug:

Does that help ?

Just looked it up on ETKA, £1916.78 inc VAT :scared2:

Reactions: pburv and Rob2k68
I love it but imagine how slow and old it will look & run in a short period of time. New tech, such as screens and so on, are only just coming to cars, so imagine the pace of development. Is the A3 the first mainstream-ish car to run this kind of tech? I imagine that it will look outdated within a few yrs and there will be nothing you can do about it. I had an A1 as a courtesy car recently (Sline 2016) and couldnt believe the low res, crappy quality of the central display of it. It was all pixelated and looked like an old Windows 2000 graphics!

Depends how far down the line you mean. My A4 had a 4 year satnav and it still looked better than a lot of other car's satnavs. In 7-8 years maybe but I'll only have this for 3-4 ;)

Reactions: pburv
Well they fixed the colour. Back to daytona grey but I've had to admit defeat on the cockpit :)

Reactions: Rob2k68, pburv and WarwickL
I have Tech Pack High on my current car and without a doubt would tick the V/C box if ordering now - love my tech !!

Reactions: SpeedyFrog, Jassyo06 and pburv
Personally I like the whole minimalist style of the 'normal' cluster & dashboard in general without the VC.

Reactions: pburv, SpeedyFrog, Rob2k68 and 2 others
VC - what a waste of space and development time.

I love my tech, if it does something useful and doesn't regress to pretty

That was my original opinion. It added nothing practicalike. But after having to sit with a bunch of gushing bmw drivers I wanted to rub how much cooler audi are in their face and decided I wanted to showy gimmick back lol

Reactions: pburv, SpeedyFrog, Rob2k68 and 4 others