tyre suggestions

superkarl

MAN OF STEEL
Reaction score
can people post some suggestions based on experience, or even ones to avoid. should help alot of people decide, as i cant. stuck between fk452 and proxes T1R

cheers folks

Goodyear Assymetrics - it's what I have on all 4 corners (225/45/17). I don't think I'll get more than 18 months use out of them but they certainly grip very very well. Built in rim protector protrudes almost 10mm and have saved the rims edges from being scraped a hundred times over. Only negative point is:

A) price, they don't come cheap.
B) Snow? I haven't yet tried them in the snow but if they are anything like the F1's then expect the worst, the F1 felt like I was 'skiing' with the car, I know they're not winter tyres but you expect them to work a little better than that.

Also, have a look at the Vredestein Ulltrac Sessanta's (sp?), heard many a good thing about them but have no expereince to share.

LOL Im looking at them exact two tyres now. Im probably going to go for the FK452's. I currently have Falken 912's which I dont think are that great.

I had Goodyear Asymetrics - Awesome tyre but didnt last long.

Pirelli P6000 - Was past there best when I had them (came with the car when I bough it) was OK tyre.

Vredestein Ultrac Sessanta - Very good tyre for not a well know brand.

Falken 912 - Ok but not that great for fast roads or track driving.

Im going to go for 452's I think next and change the tyre size for a smaller side wall so not as much flex.

Nathan

I just replaced a set of Toyo Proxes4 with Vredestein Ultrac Sessanta.

Toyos were good in the dry, but wet handling was a bit poo - the car just under-steered badly. Once they started to wear, the grip went pretty quickly, even with quite a bit of tread. Not getting them again, as there are a few better alternatives for same money, like the Vredestein Ultrac Sessanta.

I never had Vredestein Ultrac Sessanta before, but they definitely do grip well in dry or wet (today was a nice test), but I'm not sure how they will work as they start to wear. A mate with a scooby recommended them to me and scoobynet users seem to rate them.

Tyretest.com - Tyre test reports by consumers for consumers is a good site for looking at alternatives

just put the 452's on the front of my 140 tdi mk5 and impressed so far, loads of grip. will be putting them on s3 next i think unless i can find some real cheap 070's!

I got the mag when EVO tested 10 best performance tyres at the time, these were the results for dry, wet, feedback, and track time;

1) Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric
2) Vredestein Ultrac Sessanta
3) Continental Contisport Contact 3
4) Bridgestone Potenza RE050-A
5) Michelin Pilot Sport PS2
6) Pirelli PZero Nero
7) Kumho Ecsta STP KU31
8) Dunlop Sport Maxx
9) Yokohama S.Drive

Heres a link to their 2010 test, havent read it though.

2010 EVO Tyre Test - tyre reviews, the online tyre guide

Nathan

I got my tyres from mytyres.co.uk, but you have to remember that fitting them will add 40-odd quid if it's not included. There are a few online places out there and I know that blackcircles.com are popular, but there are may more.

Vredestein Ultrac Sessanta and goodyear eagle F1 GSD are the best two tyres i have used so far. In the wet and dry they are both superb. Vredestein Ultrac Sessanta are slightly cheaper and i would put these on again without a question

first 3 sets of tyres i used Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 - can't fault them except for the price. Decided to swap to goodyear asymetrics and have stuck with them for the last 4 sets, they wear a bit quicker than the ps2s and are fairly loud, but are as good as the PS2s in wet & dry + cope with snow pretty well for a summer tyre.

For £100 a corner I wouldnt touch anything apart from goodyear asymetrics. PS2s aren't good enough to justify the price and I don't feel like crashing testing an unknown brand to save £15 a tyre...

My 3 would be:

1. Goodyear Asym
2. Mich PS2 (imo better than the goodyear, but not worth 30% extra £)
3. Conti sportcontacts - really good, just never tried on the s3.

Dont think I'd try another tyre from toyo, falken or yokohama again, no experience in the s3, but all were ***** on my last car.

Last edited:
Avon ZZ3`s run them on 3 different cars ,

Had a set of part worn ZZ3 that I put on the rears, they lasted longer than the brand new eagle F1's that went on the front, Unsure as to how well they cope under hard driving seeing as they were only on the rears but they seemed to do the job well and lasted ages compared to the eagle F1's. I now have F1 asym all round and they perform really well in all conditions. Prices seem to have gone up a bit recently, they use to cost me £90 a corner fitted, but last time they cost me closer to £100 a corner fitted. I think the F1 Asym wear better and last longer than the V tread's

I got my eagle F1's from camskill for c. £85 a corner - Full of win!

GY Eagle F1 GSD3 on the back and Bridgestone Potenza RE050s on the front, very impressed with both.

i've got potenza re050 all round and really not impressed with wet weather performance, and toward the end of there life they deteriorate quickly! my mrs has eagle F1 assymetrics on her focus st, they feel awesome on a front wheel drive car. they do seem pricey though. i was considering getting some 18's fitted but the price jump from 17 inch tyres to 18 seems quite a bit.

id like to try either the eagle f1's or the vredestein if i can find a good deal.
otherwise falken fk452, which im impressed with, seem a bargain.

michellin ps3's based on audi driver testing they did on them. improved grip in the wet. just not as good looking as ps2 and expensive. i got mine from blackcircles.

FK452 £79, T1R £83.10, F1 ASY £90.90 going by mytyres.co.uk for prices, best thing to do is phone about local garages and see what prices you get for fitted with the makes your after and compare them against the prices on sites like mytyres. If you can get F1's fitted for less than a £100 a corner i'd say thats a good deal.

Camskill do some good deals on tyres as well...so well worth a look in.

I have a set of Goodyear eagle F1 225/40/18. Done about 6k on them. Plenty of tread left if anyone is interested PM me.

thanks for advice guys, its just such an important part of the car i dont want to be dissapointed, and want to see an improvement over my re050 bridgstones. i can fit them myself so that will bring price down abit. going to my mates garage tomoro with a list of tyres you've suggested to get some hopefully unbeatable quotes.

I'm getting 4 new boots for my car, I'm going to avoid the Proxes after I've read wet weather grip isnt that great and they wear quick.

I've had F1's and they were brilliant but didnt wear very well.

I'm going for Uniroyal Rain Expert 2's next month x 4 from Camskill as you wont beat them on price. I have a mate who's going to fit them in return for a beer so happy days. Heard really good reviews about them so I'll be giving them a punt.