Tyre question

dellboy

Reaction score
The time has finally come to get the winter wheels off my S3 and the summers on! :)

I have 2 half worn and 2 new tyres on TT 18 inch wheels, which should I put where eg new on fronts or rear?

Thanks.

I thought it was better to have the better tyres on the rear of the vehicle.

If i remember correctly its to do with having better traction on the rear, as if you were to get into a slide/spin you can control the fronts through steering but have no control over the rear.

But i might be wrong, trying to remember an old training session many years ago!

Put your best tires on the rear. Most drivers find it easier to control a car when the fronts slip than if the rears slip mid corner. Understeer easier to handle oversteer.

Another vote for the newer ones on the back. In your case I don't think it will make that much difference as you say they are only half worn but my rears were almost bald and the car was pretty much undriveable in the wet/slushy weather we had over christmas.
I think it's the law now that if you are having two tyres replaced they have to go on the back.

I always run the worst tyres on the front.

If you have your best tyres on the front, then you get no feedback when the rear tyres are about to let go. If the worse tyres are on the front you know that when they start to slip the rears still have a bit of head room left.

Its not just about tread either, a friend of mine baught a corsa, which had two almost new ditchfinders on the rear, and two nearly bald pirellis on the front. First time he took it out in the rain the back end stepped out without warning on a damp roundabout and after doing a 180 spin an astra crashed into him.
He repaired the damage and swapped the wheels round, and it was only then he realised how **** the ditchfinders actually were, because they were now attached to the steering wheel and he could feel just how little grip they had in the wet.

So grippiest tyres on the rear!

The only thing to watch is that most brand new tyres normally have really low grip for the first 100 miles or so.

Ok, thanks for all your helpful comments guys, all changed over... unfortunately shes got 4 chinese ditchfinders on her now (fitted by previous owner)... hopefully they wont last too long so that i can get some decent rubber fitted!

Also i noticed while i was in there ive got a split outer CV boot on the front :( has anyone fitted one of these, on the floor? What are they like to do? any special tools required? Thanks again!!