Tyre pressures for comfort

macpdm

Reaction score
Morning all

I checked the pressures this morning on my 8P2 2.0 TDI and the fronts were about 25psi and 24psi on the rears. I checked the fuel flap and increased the fronts to 30 and the rears to 29. The ride is a good bit firmer now but to be honest I preferred the ride with the pressures as they were. The car rode a lot softer and the steering didnt feel any less direct but by running under the recommended pressures I assume this effects fuel economy but what about tyre wear etc ?

Thanks all.

Sometimes under inflated tires can cause wear on the outer edge, just something to bear in mind :)

It's also worse on your fuel economy. I do understand though, the roads near me are a shambles so does not help

I run my Sport on 31 all round and find the comfort fine. I'd rather protect the tyre wear and fuel economy.

It's also worse on your fuel economy. I do understand though, the roads near me are a shambles so does not help

Swerving potholes becomes impossible because the whole road is one continuous pothole?

Thanks all Ive dropped the fronts to 28 and the rears to 27 from the recommended 30 & 29 which seems a nice compromise.

I'm pretty sure my TDi Quattro says 36psi rear 42psi front, so that's quite a long way down from those values...?

Reactions: aar007
My S3 says 39psi front and 30psi rear. But the engine will most probably weigh more in my car than some other models.
I'm curious what the 3.2 v6 recommends for tire pressures.

You do realise you can be nicked for tyres lower than the recommended pressures?
And if you had to claim on your insurance?:redface:

I'd like to see the police try pull you for slightly under inflated tyres. I'd be willing to bet the majority of cars in the road aren't running the recommended pressures.

Running the pressures lower than recommended will cause faster wear on both shoulders of the tyre. Which at ~£100 a corner for decent tyres isn't fun.

I'd be willing to bet the majority of cars in the road aren't running the recommended pressures.

So would I, but that's no excuse!
Plus the extra stress on the sidewalls. Flexing causes heat build-up and degradation of the rubber.

I'm pretty sure my TDi Quattro says 36psi rear 42psi front, so that's quite a long way down from those values...?

No mine states 30 & 29 for lighter loads at most the car has 2-3 people travelling in it with little or no luggage. I think the pressures for heavier loads are similar to those you have quoted.

No mine states 30 & 29 for lighter loads at most the car has 2-3 people travelling in it with little or no luggage. I think the pressures for heavier loads are similar to those you have quoted.

It depends on what tyres you're running too of course, mine definitely states 42 and 36, here's my pressure sticker in my door... I'm on 18's so the values I use are at the bottom of the sticker:sm4:

I'd almost thought I'd misread it for a minute after reading this thread...

IMAG0068

You do realise you can be nicked for tyres lower than the recommended pressures?
And if you had to claim on your insurance?:redface:

Lol...think the tyres would have to be on the floor! don't know any police officer who carries a pressure gauge