Tyre noise

S3RTB

Reaction score
Has anyone had any issues with tyre noise on their Audi S3 8P? I've got a whining noise. When I drive down a fresh tarmac road and out the car into neutral and coast in neutral there is a loud whining noise. I thought it could have been the transfer box, rear haldex diff or a wheel bearing, but I've put the car up on a 4 post ramp today and while driving the car with all 4 wheels off the floor there is no noise coming from the drivetrain at all. This points me to tyres. I've got Michelin Pilot Sport 4 tyres on the car, loads of tread left on all 4 tyres and even wear. I'm hoping to try my mates wheels on the car the weekend. If it does turn out to be the tyres what tyres would people recommend as I haven't done much mileage on the pilot sport 4s.

Cheers in advance :)

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Are they fitted in the right direction?
If a directional tyre is fitted the wrong away around it won't operate correctly and could cause excess noise.

There are no markings on the side wall to suggest they are directional.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Bearing noise on the rear axle parts doesn't always show up, until there is some weight and stress on the bearings, so don't rule it out. You could swap the front wheels for the rear and listen for any difference.