Tyre inflation / pressure monitor

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
[COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.701961)]I'm going to inform you guys what I've been told today. I'm sure many of you are more than aware and some who know more than I do: I accept that, but this is in layman a terms for the majority.

2015 S3 has TPMS (or a version of) as standard. What I have learned today is that this system of monitoring a tyres inflation isn't in fact what I expected it to be. I got in my car yesterday and after driving 100m I noticed 'that puncture feel'. My car hadn't notified me of anything.
I fitted the space saver and my missus took the car to Audi today, where she works.
She explained about Mr Really Pi55ednof husband and his sh177y tyre pressure monitor and they informed her (roughly) the following.
The actual system is run through the ABS system and takes up to 15 miles to 'calibrate' itself. So if you're driving after 10 mins or so (15 miles) your ABS will be able to notice if a deflating wheel has a different rotational reading than its been used to. Only then will it ping up on your dash. The system cannot detect an under inflated tyre from startup.

That's about it really...

I understand there will be technical flaws in the above - please keep the rebuking comments within, this is purely FYI[/COLOR]

Reactions: Bandicoot51
Yes it is quite a basic system. I saw an advert in a car magazine the other day for a system that actually monitors the pressure in each wheel and transmits the information to a monitoring device which you have in the car. It actually shows the pressure in each individual tyre on the display. It does mean you can check you tyre pressures without have to use a tyre pressure gauge. It works by using a special valve cap on each wheel which constantly measure the pressure and transmits the results. The only slight problem is the price £179.99.

I installed a tyresure system on my TT after getting a flat in the first week of ownership. With no spare it was a real PITA. System had a steel valve with a sensor installed on the inside of the tyre. The sensors had a wireless connection with a display in the car that showed pressure and temp for each wheel.
System worked great for about 18 months, then started to drop the connections. Reconnection meant dropping pressure below 16psi to connect, then reinflate Support was appalling from the company so I eventually gave up on it.
Shame really, as it was great while it worked.
Had a Hyundi as a hire car from work last year and it had a similar system built in, with the display on the rear view mirror so you saw it every few minutes but wasn't intrusive. Shame audi have to be so cheap in this area

Reactions: sjbarneS3
I have just found the advert and the system is called TyrePilot by Snooper. It describes it as a wireless Tyre Pressure Monitoring System.

Their website is www.snooper.co.uk and their phone number is 0333 240 1000.

Reactions: sjbarneS3
Looks a bit like the tyre dog TPMS, which is about £120.
Was quite tempted to add this one to my S3 but can't find any info on it. May be worth a punt for £65

******, that link didn't work!! Search for the Carchet cigarette lighter TPMS on Amazon for the one I mean

I was peeved, as my 2014 S3 suffered flats with no tpm system, and when I can to order my new one I was chuffed to see they'd stuck it on as standard...
Audi have borne the costs from my flat tyre

TPMS is a legal requirement on all new cars (in UK anyway) so that is why Audi have it as standard now. I don't really know why people feel it's such a big deal. I have been driving for 50+ years and this is the first car that has had it. Haven't had many punctures at all in that time and when you do you know by the feel anyway.
I suppose if you are tanking down the motorway and the tyre starts to deflate it's nice to have a warning, but I don't think it's a big issue really.

When I had a puncture in a rear tyre at about 100mph on a German autobahn the first thing I knew was a horrible noise! When I stopped and looked round the car I noticed a split in a rear tyre. The only time the TPMS came on was when the space-saver had been fitted.

Actually just the same with me. Hit a pothole and after a very short distance it was obvious the tyre was shot. TPMS displayed after I had the spare on.!!

TPMS form my experience is great at detecting slow punctures I had one in the rear of my S3 and was alerted once tire pressure had dropped to about 33psi on a number of different occasions, once after only rolling about 200yards, it's a system designed to alert if tire pressures are low rather than an immediate large loss of pressure IMHO of course

I've been driving in Italy - 4,000 miles in 4 weeks so not been following the Forum. Now what was the question?

Reactions: Blackwhite
Hi glospete. In post #8 above,
veeeight mentioned that you had
a solution. Just wondering. I hope
you enjoyed Italy.

I used to work with TyrePal but I am now completely retired
However www.tyrepal.co.uk sell a very neat TPMS unit called the TB99 which can monitor 4 wheels plus a spare. You set your own warning levels and then it will warn you if anything is wrong. It is direct TPMS which means it reads the actual tyre pressures and temperatures. I use it on my TT (and did throughout Italy) and it gives you great comfort to know what is actually happening. The deal is probably no longer valid but my write up on the TT Forum is here:

http://www.ttforum.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=474257&p=3938369&hilit=Tb99#p3938369

Reactions: Blackwhite and veeeight