Turbo Whistle

Adam-f

Reaction score
I know this topic has been mentioned many times before but im just curious,

My car is a 55 Plate 2.0 Tdi S-line Quattro A3 , when the engine is idle the turbo whistle on and off every few minites is this normall ??

Also when driving the whistle is queit loud and sounds alot like police sirens :L is this perfectly normall ??

Though the gears if you change just before full boost it also chatters/Dumps very loudly is this ok ??

Ive done some research and people say its perfectly normal and the turbo bearings in a PD140 can be noisey, theres no loss of power and the cars seems to drive find im just very curious because its still under warrinty with the garage so if the turbo is knaffed i want to get it sorted :)

Thanks Adam

A healthy turbo does not sound like a police siren.
Try and give it some beans in the 3rd gear up to the red line.
Do it a few times and if there is a turbo problem car might go into limp mode - will lose power. If it does take it to the garage and demand the turbo to be checked. Limp mode will go after you switch the ignition off and then back on.

A healthy turbo does not sound like a police siren.
Try and give it some beans in the 3rd gear up to the red line.
Do it a few times and if there is a turbo problem car might go into limp mode - will lose power. If it does take it to the garage and demand the turbo to be checked. Limp mode will go after you switch the ignition off and then back on.

Aww rite, Ok thanks will try it tonight, Ive had no trouble with it going into limp mode though ?

the dump before boost is normal on any turbo car. a turbo whistle is also normal. if its screamin then theres a problem

the dump before boost is normal on any turbo car. a turbo whistle is also normal. if its screamin then theres a problem

My 2.0l 140bhp BKD engine sportback doesn't make any noises like that.

It has had a new turbo and boost pipes though !

change gear just before the boost kicks in think its around 18 - 2000 rpm n u get a dump from the air filter. if you have on a cone filter the noise is alot louder. but even stock it can be heard.

Last edited by a moderator:
change gear just before the boost kicks in think its around 18 - 2000 rpm n u get a dump from the air filter. if you have on a cone filter the noise is alot louder. but even stock it can be heard.

Will check again in the morning but I can honestly say I have never had a sound like that on my car and I always change gear before the turbo kicks in !

Boring I know
ays

Last edited by a moderator: