Siren / Whistle Turbo Noise

aiwa_yamaha

Reaction score
Just clearing up a few things from the Audi Forum before i buy a complete new turbo. I have recently had a turbo noise problem when i drove home from work the other day. Driving to work was ok no (loud) siren noise at all. The drive home from the word go i had the problem. I recently had a new Throttle Body which was fitted tonight when my mate had a look at the turbo tonight he said when he put a screw driver to manually open the Vacuum Actuator the noise stopped. I want to clear up that i have no loss of power with the turbo and no black smoke coming out, i only have the noise. (whistle, siren).

If i replaced the Turbo Vacuum Actuator would this solve the problem? He checked the turbine and shaft for play and that was ok and says its boosting ok but the waste gate sounds noisy. Any help would be great

Thanks

Sorry car details - Audi A3 tdi sport 140 2005 BKD

Last edited:
Leave it alone until you end up going into limp mode.

Until then, turn the radio up

Reactions: DriverN00B
When i say loud its real loud like an actual police car driving on the road. With the limp mode i have that when i go on the motorway in 6th gear which is hardly ever. My mate said that replacing the throttle body and cleaning the EGR will stop it going into limp mode which i did tonight. I don't have limp mode in any other gears. Only when going fast in 6th on the motorway.

Sounds like you mate knows a lot.. (Detect the sarcasm)

You can waste your time cleaning bits and pieces if you want however, now you've mentioned vital things such as limp mode and the fact it's as loud as a police car, best solution is a new turbo unfortunately.

Ever thought about an upgrade such as a hybrid turbo? Nows the time to research, this topic is covered almost daily on here.