Turbo upgrade :)

My brother used TurboRebuild.co.uk for the garrett on his 320d.

Beachbuggy on here pointed me in their direction.

Reactions: Lee Goodall
Turbodynamics charge 195+vat for taking turbo apart, cleaning it and changing seals. Unfortunately mine needed a new core so it doubled up the price.

Turbodynamics did a pretty good job on rebuilding my turbo on a tdi a4. Not the cheapest though
Yeah, I've heard good things about Turbo Dynamics so I'll give them a call. They're selling new GT28R turbos for around £650 which seems reasonable.

what boost pressure you running the t28 at? what power you going for?

just read back there and realised id posted my setup a while back, basically i abused the life out of the t28 for 2 year and it was awesome, wound the boost upto 1bar and it made 275bhp/310ftlb on a standard golf agu ecu, no map no fooling the ecu just literally wound up the boost with a bleed valve. went slightly rich at about 5200 but never lean..

275 is waaay off the end of the stock maf scaling...

Its also waay beyond the stock injector flow rate...

Reactions: Broken Byzan
what boost pressure you running the t28 at? what power you going for?
I've only been running on actuator pressure (N75 unplugged), with standard injectors and MAF. The ECU I'm running has a custom map on for an old hydrid Scroll turbo so I didn't want to risk it. I'm aiming for a usable 290 ish HP.

was still making power when it hit the rev limiter, excuse the rpm as i was running 5 cylinder clocks so read lower, so the point it hit limiter is actually 6800rpm

I cleaned/dusted and vacuum cleaned the engine and engine bay over the weekend. I have also replaced the old throttle body as it was throwing up a code and idling badly.

I need to replace the cam tensioner gasket as it has started leaking since replacing the head and rocker gaskets, I'll hopefully get onto this at the weekend.

For a turbo rebuild (GT28R) the basic costs so far are:-
Turbo Dynamics - £195+VAT (as stated by slepy ^ ^)
Midlands Turbo - £250+VAT ( this includes carriage costs too)
turborebuild.co.uk - No reply yet

..also if anybody is interested I will be selling my green B5 A4 (AEB). The car has been used as a donor but has a low mileage engine (100000 approximately) with clutch, cam belt, oil pump and water pump fitted within the last few thousand miles. Fairly tidy set of 16" Sport alloys with Continental Sport tyres too.

I've been looking into tuning options and it appears that you can still get the Unitronic big turbo tune as follows..

STOCK POWER: 150HP / 155LB-TQ

UNITRONIC BT 440CC: UP TO 350HP

DESCRIPTION: Big Turbo Software Precisely Engineered to Run 20psi of Boost on a Stock Engine.

GAS TYPE OPTIONS: 91 Octane - 93 Octane

INSTALLATION: Ecu needs to be sent to the Head Office. The turnaround time is approximately 1-2 weeks from the receiving date. In some rare cases we may require a little more time. In any event we will keep you informed once we receive your ECU.

TURBO OPTIONS: GT28 Series Turbo or Similar Size

REQUIRED HARDWARE:

• Bosch 440cc Injectors
  • OBD2 VR6 Maf Housing (Keep Stock Sensor)
  • 3 Bar FPR
  • Upgraded Exhaust System
  • Upgraded Intercooler
  • Cold Air Intake / Short Ram
RECOMMENDED HARDWARE:

• Upgraded Fuel Pump (For over 300HP)
  • Upgraded (DV) Diverter Valve
  • Upgraded Rods (For over 300WTQ)
CAM FILE OPTIONS: Stock Cams Only

THROTTLE BODY FILE OPTIONS: Stock Throttle Body Only

DELETED EMISSIONS OPTION: NO

MAFLESS OPTION: NO

FEATURES:

• Engineered with Strict Industry Standards
  • Extensively Tested Under Various Driving Conditions
  • Optimized Responsiveness and Drivability
  • Power Delivery Perfectly Optimized Throughout the Power Band
  • Speed Governor Removed
  • RPM Limiter Increased to 7500 (With Stock Head)
  • Optimized for an Upgraded (DV) Diverter Valve or (BOV) Blow Off Valve
  • Ignition Timing Precisely Calibrated for Higher Octane Fuel
As this is almost the exact setup that I have (although I'll need a set of injectors to match) I'm tempted to give it a go.

I've contacted various tuners in the UK and to be honest nobody seems that interested.

I suppose I need to locate another ME3 ECU and just get it booked in somewhere.

Rick at Unicorn should do it.

Nick at RTech was another good option but i've been told recently that hes refusing to touch M3.8 stuff now. Worth asking i guess.

GT28R components ready to be packed up and sent over to Turbo Dynamics to be assessed.
IMG 20151021 162809

I've called RTech and Aragorn is correct, they won't touch it! They suggested Stealth Racing or Badger 5.

I'm talking to Unicorn at the minute by email.

Unicorn said no problem with 3.8 to me.

Didnt think Badger5 did M3.8, but i might be wrong. Not heard of Stealth Racing, but they must be decent if RTech are pointing you that way.

Rick @ Unicorn seems like a decent guy.

Unicorn will do it with ME3.8.3 ECU no problem but they are a considerable distance from me.

Stealth Racing will do either the standard ECU or ME3.8.3 and they are much closer to me.

Both companies seem very knowledgeable and willing to discuss options etc.

I think you are correct; I don't think Badger 5 do ME3 as I recall somebody inquiring previously.

I was really rushing to get it all done.. hence the jubilee clip being left undone but I'll try to get some more detailed photos.

I'd definitely recommend the Autobahn88 FMIC kit but make sure you plan it all out first as you will need to modify certain bits to fit. Had to relocate the horn too but that's not a massive problem.

Hi mate, Do you have a link to the autobahn kit?

I've been sorting out the intercooler on the wifes car just now. Its bigger than the kits designed for the A4, but its a universal one. I'll try and get some photos this weekend of the cooler and the parts required to make it fit.

Stealth Racing also suggest installing a manual boost controller too.

This rings alarm bells for me. It suggests they cant tune the cars stock boost control well enough. Theres no reason why the N75 and the ECU's standard boost control cant do the job properly. If they need an MBC, they're bodging around a bad tune.

Ive been looking at the ebay special-

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Intercool...267205?hash=item418bad56c5:g:-p8AAOSwiCRUfDAR

but would prefer to go with a kit that someone has actually used and give there opinion on..

That ebay link is basically the same thing as the autobahn kit. The core i used was 550x230x63 and i used 57 and 63mm pipework rather than the puny stock 50mm pipes.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Universal...645700?hash=item2ca14b9344:g:haUAAMXQ01dReszD

It really depends what your going for.

The "kits" are fine for a stock car or perhaps the K03S or K04-001 turbo upgrades. Anything more then its probably a bit restrictive.

This rings alarm bells for me. It suggests they cant tune the cars stock boost control well enough. Theres no reason why the N75 and the ECU's standard boost control cant do the job properly. If they need an MBC, they're bodging around a bad tune.

Yeah, I didn't really think much of it at the time as I was thinking that it just gives a bit of added control but looking at it that way you're probably right.

That ebay link is basically the same thing as the autobahn kit. The core i used was 550x230x63 and i used 57 and 63mm pipework rather than the puny stock 50mm pipes.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Universal...645700?hash=item2ca14b9344:g:haUAAMXQ01dReszD

It really depends what your going for.

The "kits" are fine for a stock car or perhaps the K03S or K04-001 turbo upgrades. Anything more then its probably a bit restrictive.

Aren't the connections to the intercooler matched to the 50mm pipework though? Surely this will be a bottleneck/restriction anyway?