k04 turbo upgrade????

97_A4_1.8Turbo said:
Wat wold i need ifi were to get a ko3 turbo for my a4 1.8t??
Guess by your title you really mean K04?

You would need the right K04 (K04-15) not the ones from the TTs or A3s. It'll fit straight on, although you will need to have it mapped otherwise you won't see any hp gains.

If I was going to do it, I would get a hybrid version (good for around 280-290bhp I think), replace the manifold with a high flow item from ATP and put in larger injectors and a new diverter valve. Then I'd have it mapped to around 260-280HP (hoping not to over stress any components).

I would also replace the clutch and fit big brakes to save taking the car off the road (or the car taking me offroad) at a later date.

However, if I was going this far (and I'd like to), I would seriously have to consider if just buying a faster car would be a better idea.

N

thanks sorry i gavent been on in a while so if i were to get ko4 i need turbo manifold injectors and get it mapped
wat does getting it mapped nesicarily mean?

Mapping is basically changing your ECU's fuel/boost/timing at various loads, RPM's, etc. It's also known as 'chipping' (this is when you actually buy a chip which already contains a non-standard map).

There's no point in changing you turbo if you don't get i mapped. Also, if you change the injectors without a remap, your car will run badly.

You don't need manifold as the K04 will bolt straight up to the stock unit but there are some better following units out there.

Now deppending on what level of boost and power you want to run will depend on if you need FMIC and what size injectors and MAF you will need to get but read through that link and it will help you and yes you will need a remap.

k thanks
but i have to put it on hold cuz i need to buy some other stuff so i dont have enough money to do the upgrade might end up doing it in the spring

I would not bother with the manifold the smaller unit is fine and less laggy than the larger units. Unless you want to see much bigger gains and running the hybrid turbo its not necessary.

I have just put one on my car the only thing i added was a front mount intercooler, and will be getting the mapping done later this year.

Apart from the increase flow you get by using an aftermarket manifold, I was worried the standard unit would start to fall apart under the increased power - or is that just an issue with early S4s?

Cheers

N

Increase in flow means possible more lag becasue of the pressure difference.

The manis on these are fine not heard of any falling apart.

if you are in the states it is just as cost effective to get a Gt28 and parts from Arnold at PAG parts.