Turbo replacement.... Again

goodbuzzman1

Reaction score
A year and a half ago I replaced the turbo in my s3 as when I sent the old one to be refurbed the turbine housing was cracked. I replaced it with a brand new borgwarner k03/024.

I noticed a whistling the last few days so I made a boost leak tester and everything was sealed perfectly. I then took off the tip and felt the shaft and it is moving in and out. Not good. A year and a half isn't great for an €800 turbo... However I suspect it's my own fault as I regularly forget to make sure my oil is topped up and my car loves to drink oil. So I'm going to send my turbo off to be rebuilt but I want to make sure I don't have to do it again. What reasons are there for my car to lose/burn oil? I know I have a small leak on the vvt gasket which I will replace but there must be something more serious going on.

I am no expert but why would you fit a K03 turbo to an S3 when they have K04 Turbos fitted and I thought small in/out movement is okay. its side to side which is a problem.

if you want a K03 you could get a whole Golf GTI or A3 1.8T for about £800

I lose oil too - but maybe 250 ml every 700 miles.

rocker cover gasket, vvt gasket, turbo seals (smoking when your toes down), stem seals (smoking when starting up indicates oil possibly lying on piston crowns), worn piston rings (smoking under load like uphill).....

Worlds your oyster

I have noticed that recently there has been a fair bit of white smoke coming out of the exgaust pipe especially when the car is just sitting in traffic or the likes

I had this

Is it using coolant? Mine was buring oil and coolant.
Head had cracked and the stem seals had gone.

However, even with a refurbished head and I know my engine is health after a recent trip to Badger5, when its cold the exhaust does pump out quite a bit of condensation at cold start.