Turbo Intake Pipe - K04-015 - TIP

YohanT

Reaction score
Hi All,

Ive looked all over the forum/internet / google / ebay and cant see any definitive answers on this, so would appreciate any help.

I have a K04-015 Turbo for my Audi A4 and understand from my mechanic that i need a bigger TIP, does anyone know where i can buy one, has anyone bought one that they can recommend? or does anyone have one for sale ?

I have a 2002 B6 but the TIP is the same as the B5 (4 connectors) from what others have said.

Thanks

Bigger isn't required as turbo inlet is same size, however you want a bigger bore tip as the stock 1 is very restrictive around the bend.

eBay has many for around £100 and more than suitable..

Bigger isn't required as turbo inlet is same size, however you want a bigger bore tip as the stock 1 is very restrictive around the bend.

eBay has many for around £100 and more than suitable..
I have fitted the turbo for yohan, the turbo is a FTG ko4 style turbo with a billet compressor wheel. The turbo intake is 60mm...

Hi All,

Thought i would report back after my hunt around the world for a TIP to fit. So yes as Chris said the Turbo is actually as Hybrid K04-015, so although its a direct bolt on for any K03 A4 it has bigger internals. One outcome of that is that the Turbo intake is 60mm.

Anyway, i searched high and low and made lots of phone calls today and only found 1 company in the US that makes these bigger TIPs, so i thought i would share to save someone else the headache. The company is 034Motorsport and they do (Intake) 2" > 3" (MAF) , 2.5" > 3" and also a 3" > 3" for the really big turbos. Since i had so much trouble, i wonder what you big turbo guys have been doing for TIPs ????

Anyhow, just a about to place the order for the 2.5" > 3" :

http://store.034motorsport.com/turbo-inlet-hose-2-5-silicone-longitudinal-1-8t-w-tt225-maf.html

When I've done larger hybrids and needed tips there's a company on eBay in China that has done them for $100 . Work perfectly well, good quality..its been over a year since then so no idea if they are still trading.

I don't believe though running a k03 hybrid with such a large compressor is a good idea as the 42mm k04 compressor flows far more than the k03 turbine housing can manage .. Bigger isn't better..

Hi Yohan,

Any pics of your car in situ when all done?

What BHP are you looking to run?

Hiya

Sure see some pics below. Ive also included my kit list and some notes below if you are thinking about the same.

Current Kit List:

1. K04 015 Billet Hybrid Turbo

2. 3" Decat Downpipe

3. 2.5" > 3" Turbo In Take Pipe (TIP)

4. 3" Metal MAF

5. Front Mounted Intercooler

6. Audi 710 P - Diverter Valve (DV)

7. Audi N75J Boost Valve

8. RAM Air 3" Air Filter Cone

9. Bosch 550cc Injectors (In The Post)

10. One very good mecanhic ( Chris Adams @adamss24 )

Problems

1. Intercooler - I bought a Direnza Intercooler that said it would fit my A4 and some other Audi's, however none of the pipe work fit and we had to fabricate nearly all the pipes to make it fit. So if you are thinking about FMIC get sound reccomemdations from other first , double check with the suppler that if fits your car and probably go for one that fits your car/model only not multiple cars.

2. TIP - If you have a stock K03, K03s, K04 the TIP size is standard and you should be able to easily get an upgraded TIP if you have a Hybrid with a bigger Turbo inlet you will not find a TIP in the UK. Order in advance from 034Motorsport in the US.

3. 3" MAF - The standard straight 3" MAF was too long and straight so we had to make a custom curved 3" MAF. Probably worth buying a MAF flange in advance just in case , again you can only get this from the US.

Next Steps

1. Custom Rollling Road Remap Tune
2. 4 Bar FPR

A big thanks to Chris Adams who worked on the car and did a great job , sorted out all the problems !

Attachments

• IMG-20150927-WA0007.jpg
    IMG-20150927-WA0007.jpg
    185.2 KB · Views: 616
  • IMG-20150927-WA0008.jpg
    IMG-20150927-WA0008.jpg
    193.4 KB · Views: 930
  • IMG-20151004-WA0001.jpg
    IMG-20151004-WA0001.jpg
    136.2 KB · Views: 487
  • IMG_20151005_180624.jpg
    IMG_20151005_180624.jpg
    824.7 KB · Views: 665
  • IMG_20151005_180615.jpg
    IMG_20151005_180615.jpg
    785 KB · Views: 768
Thank you for kind words Yohan ! Your car gave me a few headaches as i wanted to trim as little as possible yet still have a factory look from outside. As i told you nearly every bolt put up a fight and was either rusty or too tight- broke a few in the process. I had to use a few silicone reducers to get the passenger pipe to fit after cutting and welding so if someone elses thinks to buy direnza's "tailor made" intercooler i suggest you save yourself some money and buy a universal kit and get someone to weld the bends to fit your car.

Hiya

Sure see some pics below. Ive also included my kit list and some notes below if you are thinking about the same.

Current Kit List:

2. 3" Decat Downpipe

4. 3" Metal MAF

7. Audi N75J Boost Valve

Problems

1. Intercooler - I bought a Direnza Intercooler that said it would fit my A4 and some other Audi's, however none of the pipe work fit and we had to fabricate nearly all the pipes to make it fit. So if you are thinking about FMIC get sound reccomemdations from other first , double check with the suppler that if fits your car and probably go for one that fits your car/model only not multiple cars.

2. TIP - If you have a stock K03, K03s, K04 the TIP size is standard and you should be able to easily get an upgraded TIP if you have a Hybrid with a bigger Turbo inlet you will not find a TIP in the UK. Order in advance from 034Motorsport in the US.

3. 3" MAF - The standard straight 3" MAF was too long and straight so we had to make a custom curved 3" MAF. Probably worth buying a MAF flange in advance just in case , again you can only get this from the US.

Next Steps

2. 4 Bar FPR

A big thanks to Chris Adams who worked on the car and did a great job , sorted out all the problems !

Just looking at your setup did you port the manifold at all? the collector? as without that you're going to get misfire issues on the short runner ..

Hiya

Current Kit List:

2. 3" Decat Downpipe

4. 3" Metal MAF

7. Audi N75J Boost Valve

Problems

Next Steps

2. 4 Bar FPR

Thanks for sharing Yohan and the breakdown of what youve got.

Would love to see the beast with bumper back on and a mean looking FMIC sticking out.

What BHP do you think you'll hit? Any ideas?

Currently in a toss up between a 3'' downpipe vs a 2.5''. Due to back pressure, ive been told 2.5 is better as im not for 400+bhp

All of which is due to fluid/gas dynamics.

Great that Chris sorted everything out!

Hi Dan, " misfire issues on the short runner ." - Not sure what you mean can you elaborate pls?

Hi Dr, ha, not fully decided if im going to do the whole exposed intercooler look yet, maybe part exposed, we'll see. In terms of BHP no idea to be honest. This project all started as my Turbo was blown and i needed to get a new one, i found K03 turbos with a good warranty quite hard to find so ended up getting the K04. Once i got the K04 i thought it would be a bit rude not to do all the mods, so just decided to get everything done. Before my car was a totally stock 1.8T and TBH the performance was crap, so im just looking for this car to have some proper performance now and ill be happy. If i get a solid BHP that will be icing on the cake for me. That said, i am really interested to know what this K04 Hybrid can do as opposed to a standard K04 and if there is any difference at all. RE Downpipe everyone says its a mod worth doing so yeah see what others have done and follow suit . QQ - Did you have to do any mods to get your 20" rims to fit / Do you get any rubbing ? Do you have any pics, i have 19" and they look small to me, lots of room to play with.

Hi Dan, " misfire issues on the short runner ." - Not sure what you mean can you elaborate pls?

Hi Dr, ha, not fully decided if im going to do the whole exposed intercooler look yet, maybe part exposed, we'll see. In terms of BHP no idea to be honest. This project all started as my Turbo was blown and i needed to get a new one, i found K03 turbos with a good warranty quite hard to find so ended up getting the K04. Once i got the K04 i thought it would be a bit rude not to do all the mods, so just decided to get everything done. Before my car was a totally stock 1.8T and TBH the performance was ****, so im just looking for this car to have some proper performance now and ill be happy. If i get a solid BHP that will be icing on the cake for me. That said, i am really interested to know what this K04 Hybrid can do as opposed to a standard K04 and if there is any difference at all. RE Downpipe everyone says its a mod worth doing so yeah see what others have done and follow suit . QQ - Did you have to do any mods to get your 20" rims to fit / Do you get any rubbing ? Do you have any pics, i have 19" and they look small to me, lots of room to play with.

Hello Yohan,

Im pretty sure BBT - Beach Buggy Turbo's name isnt Dan as that's mine :p

Sure, that would make sense..keeping the intercooler hidden. It all depends on what look you're going for. Some A4's literally take out the lower grille portion so the intercooler can be seen in plain sight. Some others, powder coat it black so its less noticeable. Pick your flavour :)

In your case, its a pleasant upgrade then as you might as well go for a Ko4 or hybrid if the stock Ko3s on the BHP engine did blow. Glad that you went through with all of it. Very true, the performance side of our cars are rubbish. Stock 163bhp is not too impressive especially if you have a convertible like I do...and on heavy 20 inch wheels!

Mods wise, I think you'll hit an impressive 250-260bhp. BBT is obviously an expert so will be able to advise you. I'd be over the moon with that as its 100bhp improvement over stock!

Me, Im definitely going to be modding the performance of the car. Im still in a toss up whether or not im going the hybrid turbo route. Depends on budget etc. If I do, i'll probably choose BBT for this service. With regards to the size of the downpipe, its probably only wise to run a 3inch decatted if you are planning to run 400+ bhp. 2.5 - 2.75inch downpipe is probably better. Its important to keep some back pressure. No big deal though if you're already running your 3inch.

So, im going to get a straight through exhaust system (custom), with a DV, Silicone TIP and then a nice Re-map! I should see 220bhp i'd say.

Finally, yes im on 20inch wheels. Im running 235/30/20 tyres on 9inch thick RS6 Rep alloys. They are heavier than the stock 17's I used to have so the acceleration is slightly slower. The offset for my wheels are ET35 which are perfect for the A4 B6 and B7 as they sit flush with the arch. Basically in line with the arch not tucked in like my old ones. NO rubbing at all, even with 4 people in the car. I haven't lowered it as yet. if you're going for 20's you might want to run thicker tyres like 245 or 255's to give you a thicker tread. My tyres are quite thin on our sh*t UK roads.