TT RS BBK Squeal Help!

Rob C

Audi Owner
Reaction score
So I recently upgraded to the TT RS BBK to find they squeal horrendously between 10 - 0 mph.

I knew this was a common issue on the TT RS\RS3 but thought it was due the the OEM Audi pads which is why I bought Ferodo's.

I fitted anti vibrate pads to the back of the brake pads and this solved the squeal for about a week but it is now back to how it was.

Does anyone know what Audi's solution to this problem was? or any recommendations to how to fix it?

Hi Rob, have you seen these threads?

http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/thread...onse-to-8p-rs3-low-speed-brake-squeal.256725/

http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/ebc-redstuff-ceramic-brake-pads-for-the-rs3.217570/

I believe most people have fixed the issue by buying EBC Redstuff pads, braking hard to remove any pad material build up, audi's 'solution' was some anti-vibration mounts new pads and discs which solved it for about 100miles, be worth checking your vibration shims to make sure they have not worn through or moved into the incorrect position. Copper slip grease can be a solution but it can also make a mess once warm.

Last edited:
Reactions: 45bvtc
P1020012xxx_zps3adbab07.jpg

EBC Redstuff, Rob, and bye bye brake squeal...

EBC DP31210C on the front and you'll need to modify the brake sensor cable and if you want to go front and rear EBC DP31518C on the rear: I run my RS3 on these and am 100% content and as said elsewhere will never again use the OEM Audi/Brembo/Pagid front brake pad on my car.

Thanks for the replies.

EBC Redstuff was one of the options I was considering but just wanted to eliminate all other possible causes before I chuck more money at fixing it.

Has anyone had experience with the Brembo metal anti vibration shims? As it would be a waste of brand new Ferodo pads if I went down the Redstuff route.

@45bvtc The part number you gave 'EBC DP31210C' seems to come up for a Mitsubishi Evo X. Just checking they are cross compatible before buying some.

Also where did you buy yours from/best place to buy from?

Thanks

@45bvtc The part number you gave 'EBC DP31210C' seems to come up for a Mitsubishi Evo X. Just checking they are cross compatible before buying some.

Also where did you buy yours from/best place to buy from?

Thanks

Yes Rob for the EVO X the only difference being the brake warning cable that you'll need to modify - an easy mod.

I purchased mine direct from EBC on-line

Reactions: Rob C
Reactions: DJ_26
Which ferrodo pads were you using?

Thanks for the replies.

EBC Redstuff was one of the options I was considering but just wanted to eliminate all other possible causes before I chuck more money at fixing it.

Has anyone had experience with the Brembo metal anti vibration shims? As it would be a waste of brand new Ferodo pads if I went down the Redstuff route.

Consider: If the cause of brake squeal came from the interface of brake pad to brake disc why is it that the producers of ant-squeal remedies be it a compound or shim place either between the brake pad(s) and the brake piston(s)

To test: Apply a coat of Copperslip or CeraTec between squealy brake-pads and pistons and you'll get an immediate albeit temporary cure; fit a stainless steel shim as marketed by Brembo -Brembo 98.5032.40 (Mitsubishi MR475618) - and you'll have a permanent resolution

Alternatively: Fit EBC Redstuff pads

Ate pads and copper grease on mine since service, no issues at all. And they work with pad wear sensor.

For the Brembo 98.5032.40 (Mitsubishi MR475618) ones talk to Camskill: last time I spoke to Camskill they said they could sell nme a cheap set of brake pads but with the shims included so go ask

I actually purchased mine off eBay but they're not listed at date and they fit like so:

P1000475_zps0sxp6tkx.jpg

Please note that the shims are 'directional'

AND: while the fitment of these shims resolved the low-speed-brake-squeal issue for me with the STD 47i6 brake pads it was the damage caused to the brake disc by the 8-rivets (holding the friction material to the brake pad back-plate) that caused me to source and alternative brake pad and the EBC Redstuff pad is the one I now use, it's certainly brake-disc friendly...

P1000398x_zpsae70nmro.jpg

Reactions: swatchuk and S.
Like the shims that come with these on eBay? Item number 350932902966
Ttrs rs3 calipers use the same pads as evo 10 don't they? So these should be the right ones?

I found with my pads they were a really tight fit where the pad runs up and down the caliper so took a little off with a file and put copperslip everywhere it contacts the caliper never had and brake squeal even on oem pads, no shims used either, like previously mentioned why would you put shims in when the source of the squeal is contact between the disc and pads, the pads aren't releasing properly make it easier for them to move and it should solve it

Cheers
Dave w

Reactions: S.
Like the shims that come with these on eBay? Item number 350932902966
Ttrs rs3 calipers use the same pads as evo 10 don't they? So these should be the right ones?

Yes swatchuk, them's the ones...
I managed to purchase mine separately but have't seen 'em listed like that for some time...

I found with my pads they were a really tight fit where the pad runs up and down the caliper so took a little off with a file and put copperslip everywhere it contacts the caliper never had and brake squeal even on oem pads, no shims used either, like previously mentioned why would you put shims in when the source of the squeal is contact between the disc and pads, the pads aren't releasing properly make it easier for them to move and it should solve it

Cheers
Dave w

Had the same experience with the pads seized in the caliper on my RS3 and seriously had to 'force' them out; to my amazement when I complained of this to Stafford Audi they were not at all surprised as they'd seen it themselves, however, freeing off the pads did not resolve my low speed brake squeal but: 1) Copperslip between pad and piston did temporarily and then 2) Mintex self-adhesive anti-squeal shims did 100% and my brakes were then ace!

Unfortunately I was persuaded to have the 47i6 upgrade and so with new calipers, discs, and pads the low speed brake squeal came back: checking I found the 47i6 pads 'free' in the caliper but with the same wear pattern of the brake piston wearing through the anti-squeal material on the back of the pad so fitted the Brembo solution (it always amazes me that Brembo sell an anti-squeal shim solution) and the low-speed brake squeal disappeared completely and am still using those shims.

Along with the 47i6 upgrade came a long pedal travel due in the main to the cut-outs in the back of the pad, tsk... Then, fitting Redstuff with a full-flat back face the pedal travel is minimal, yea...

And I've been using similar shims in Girling calipers since the late 60's as brake sqeal came about with the demise of asbestos in the friction materials

All said I genuinely hope your solution works for you but if not then do consider Copperslip and/or CeraTec as a temporary fix or anti-squeal shims whether self-adhesive or stainless steel for a more permanent fix

PS: I've sorted some 20-RS3s now with the Brembo shims and nowt else...

Last edited:
Just a quick update on this. Just fitted some EBC Redstuff pads. I've only done a few miles and so far no squeal but still early days. One thing I have noticed is the EBC Redstuff pads give a much spongier brake pedal than the DS2500's. If they no longer squeal it will be a great short term fix bit I think I will look to see if I can get some of those Brembo shims from somewhere and go back to the DS2500's.

Reactions: 45bvtc and swatchuk
I emailed that company I posted the eBay link for, to see if they could supply the stainless shims separate.
They can do but had no stock last week but said they'll be getting some in over the next couple of weeks if that's any good to you? I'm waiting for them to let me know when there in

Reactions: 45bvtc
Just a quick update on this. Just fitted some EBC Redstuff pads. I've only done a few miles and so far no squeal but still early days. One thing I have noticed is the EBC Redstuff pads give a much spongier brake pedal than the DS2500's. If they no longer squeal it will be a great short term fix bit I think I will look to see if I can get some of those Brembo shims from somewhere and go back to the DS2500's.

Make sure you do a full bedding in procedure:

The purpose of the brake pad and/or brake disc bedding-in procedure is to gradually increase the temperature in the components without thermal shock and to mate the brake pad and disc friction surfaces, generating a uniform transfer layer: and here's how it should be undertake:

• Perform 20 (ish) brake applications slowing from 60mph to 20mph

• Allow 15-20 seconds between each brake application

• Use medium deceleration - approximately 60% of maximum

• DO NOT brake to a stop as friction deposits are likely to 'bond' to the brake disc and you'll believe you have a warped brake-disc (and this is what I believe you have, Kev...)

When completed, drive the vehicle for at least 5 minutes with little or no braking allowing the brake discs and pads to adequately cool

• The system is now ready for normal use

My Audi RS3 brake pedal is short and rock solid with Redstuff....

Reactions: Rob C
I emailed that company I posted the eBay link for, to see if they could supply the stainless shims separate.
They can do but had no stock last week but said they'll be getting some in over the next couple of weeks if that's any good to you? I'm waiting for them to let me know when there in

Yeah that would be good, if you could let me know when they get back to you saying they have stock I will order some also!

Just a quick update...

So the few miles mentioned previously were from the garage to my drive under very steady braking (only had to brake twice). So last night I thought I would go through the bedding in procedure as mentioned above. After 40 mile of steady driving after completing this process the dreaded brake squeal was back...

Another update in case anyone is referring to this in the future...

So after having the frustration of the Redstuff squealing as bad as the DS2500's, this only appeared to continue for a couple of days. Since my last post I have covered just over 400 miles and they now seem to be 99% squeal free. I do occasionally get a little eeek just as I come to a halt but this is a drastic improvement over the DS2500's.

Although I haven't done any heavy braking with the Redstuff yet, they don't seem as solid as the DS2500's from a day to day point of view but I am happy to have this drop in performance than have the dreadful constant squealing.