Transmission overhaul - possible?

Adam Madrid

Reaction score
So my automatic gearbox is on the way out. It slips gears when going up hills, going round roundabouts. I have tried replacing the fluid and filter but it sadly had no effect.

I have been told that I need a new transmission and torque converter but the cheapest quote hovers around the 3k mark which is probably more than the car is worth. Also, I dont have 3k!

My question is: "Is is possible to get a reengineered torque converter and a transmission service kit with all the plates and seals then swap out the torque converter and take my transmission apart and replace all the servicable items myself?

Is this too much to do. Can I do it in my own garage with axel stands and a jack?

I think I'm pretty competent when it comes to cars and engines as long as there is some sort of a guide for me to follow. I replaced my timing belt, water pump etc in a car park over a week.

is this a project with a realistic chance of success or is taking a transmission apart only a job for the pros?

Thanks!

it wont be everything. The torque converter and transmission are seperate and do different jobs.

Transmissions are fairly complex. The torque converter is the equivalent of swapping the clutch, It sits in the bellhousing, between the engine and transmission, and i'm sure you'd manage to swap that out yourself with appropriate lifting equipment. Stripping the transmission itself requires various special tools and is fairly complex.

If you look on SRS, Jockthedog did a write up on stripping a 5HP24 from an A6 V8. yours will probably be the 5HP19, but similar enough to get an idea of whats involved.

Personally, if you want to keep the car, i'd just be buying a good used transmission and swap the whole thing over complete.

possible, sure.

I've always preferred to remove the engine, as the thaught of lying under the car, trying to manhandle 100kgs of gearbox around doesnt fill me with joy. Getting the box onto the engine is usually a big enough ballache when its all out in front of you, as it needs to be perfectly aligned or it wont push together.

My view is, if you have a car lift and transmission jack, then drop the box out on its own, otherwise, use a crane to remove the engine and box together.

I did a transmission replace on my quattro 2 years ago in my garage with axle stands and floor jacks. It can be done without pulling the engine but I would never do it this way again. As aragorn suggests pulling the motor and replacing it with the engine is likely easier, safer and will not cost all your friends.
To answer your first question this transmission is very complex and the chances of rebuilding it successfully the first time are low You are better off getting one from a wrecker and replacing it. Make sure that the transmission code matches you transmission or you will be looking to reflash the computer possibly. I walked away from a couple of cheaper transmissions before I found one with the correct code so did not have any problem with the computer recognizing the replacement transmission.
Some hints:
You will want to use truck jack stands to get your car about 2 feet (60 cm) in the air.
You will need to pick up a triple square 10 for one bolt and torx drivers for most of the rest.
you can unbolt the sub frame and leave it hanging but it is easier to remove it completely].
The transmission is really heavy. You will need a jack to lift it in, I used a floor transmission jack with adjustment screws to get the angle correct and it went in easily.
This job took me 37 hours under the car, I can pull the transaxle and replace the clutch in my toyota echo in 6 hours,,,
You will want friends to help with some of the heavy lifting, the transmission is a brute.
Do not use your torc convertor in the new transmission. it is likely filled with metal from your failing transmission.

Good luck with this repair.

UPDATE!!

I have been searching around for a gearbox from a scrap yard the same code as mine. No luck finding one and I wasnt looking forward to doing the work myself as it's 38C here most days in the summer.

I got a few quotes from local garages and went driving around industrial estates to get an idea. I got a good price of 1800 euros inc VAT and with a 1 year guarantee and they'll strip the gearbox and sort the torque converter too. It seems like a good price and their garage is busy, big and looks clean and businesslike with office staff etc. So I'm going to go for it!

I'll let you know how it goes.

Symptoms have gotten worse over the summer so it's about time..

Hi friends I have an Audi A3 2002 1.6L 8v Automatic Transmission and the Drive gear is not engaging anymore.
do you know where to find info about gearbox swap code related?
or which model can fit my cars engine?
I heard that the gearbox from the VW Golf 1999 manual tran could fit in but I not 100% sure.
I want a Manual Transmission swap
Thanks for any help :)