Traction light on

Mazi

Reaction score
My 2006 A3 3.2 Sportback Quattro has traction light on.
Garage told me to replace the battery as it was goosed but still the same.
It does go off but comes back on again, they now reckon its the DGS/S Tronic module/ECU.

Any ideas??

No one can say without a scan taking place. It could well be your haldex controller. I dont mean to scare you this assumption is based on no evidence at all. Has drivability been affected at all? you could try some tests at your own risk of course a friend of mine had a quattro with a damaged haldex if he tried taking a roundabout at speed the rear diff would lock up and cause him to oversteer. I dont know anymore tests but you should get it scanned indefinitely.

Get a diagnostic done on your car , plus find a better garage as i would have thought they would have offered that service first to give them an idea what it could be caused by.
An Autoscan can tell you a lot about faults in your car and as mentioned about it could easily be your haldex might need filter change or strainer cleaned so good to rule that out .

The garage did do a scan and found a gazillion fault codes which they said were nothing to worry about and probably historical ones.
They suggested haldex module as well which can be sent away to the likes of BBA REMAN to recon.

The strange thing is when I start the car the traction light is on but if I switch off and switch back on the light disappears and AWD works.
So on 2nd start the light switches off and everything works????

The garage did do a scan and found a gazillion fault codes which they said were nothing to worry about and probably historical ones.
They suggested haldex module as well which can be sent away to the likes of BBA REMAN to recon.

The strange thing is when I start the car the traction light is on but if I switch off and switch back on the light disappears and AWD works.
So on 2nd start the light switches off and everything works????
Defo got me there. I gather you have deleted all your faults but have kept the autoscan results then you can compare the results when you do your next scan and see if all your faults are historical or not .

Older Haldex controllers are well known for water ingress, also has the Haldex oil and filter been changed within the last 35k. Miles/2 years. May well be worth having a Haldex service first as it's the cheaper method of solving the fault.

Not sure when the last haldex service was done. I am leaning towards an electrical fault as when I start the car the traction light stays on indicating a fault but if I switch off and restart everything is fine. Every time, 2nd start and fault dissapears