Timing chain repleacmen confusion??

LangChop

Reaction score
Hi all new to the Audi world after purchasing a 2009 A6 Avant Le Mans Edt in black... car is absolutely superb to drive. I’m just curious about the timing chain. It’s literally just hit 110,000 so I need to replace the chain and tensioner or just tensioner or neither lol. Yes I have searched the web but don’t get much of a straight answer. Can anyone shed any light on this for me.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Iirc chain is supposed to be a life part, but if replacing it I would do the tensioner and any rollers also. Think it is at the rear of the engine, but not too sure.

belts are every 60-80k miles

Chain is at the back, and at that mileage I would not touch it. My 3.0C6 had over 200K and was still on the original chain. The only issue I had was the top tensioners were starting to fail and there was a noise at startup, but went after a few seconds. You can replace the top tensioners without removing the engine. So unless your engine rattles like hell at startup I would leave well alone, just give the car regular oil changes at least one a year or every 10K miles.

Reactions: GetCarter
Thanks for that lads. Engine has no rattles so it will be regular oil changes. But I will be getting the gearbox oil changed soon, was gonna do it me self as I’m pretty good around a car but I’ve seen on YouTube that it’s better to be on a lift for room etc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk