Timing Chain Class Action Settlement

hartsy

Reaction score
Fyi good news for my Canadian Audi family!

The details of the settlement and approval process are now on this website: https://www.timingchainsettlement.ca/

The settlement approval hearing is now scheduled for Toronto on February 10, 2020. The Opt-out deadline (if you want to pursue the matter separately) is February 6, 2020.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

That’s a good deal for Canadian Audi owners. Won’t happen in rip off UK or other European countries though. here it’s the owners fault that the tensioner fails because oil wasn’t filled by a an Audi technician wearing Audi overalls.
I’m not aware of your story, can you enlighten us.

Reactions: hartsy
That's definitely good news, thanks for bringing it to our attention!

I had the tensioner replaced by an Indy VW/Audi mechanic to avoid bigger issues if it breaks. Don't know if that would be eligible for a reimbursement though, I'll contact them.

That’s a good deal for Canadian Audi owners. Won’t happen in rip off UK or other European countries though. here it’s the owners fault that the tensioner fails because oil wasn’t filled by a an Audi technician wearing Audi overalls.
I’m not aware of your story, can you enlighten us.
Yes, it's been a long time coming! They had it sorted out stateside in 2018.

My 2012 A3 experienced an engine failure on startup in 2018. Ends up that the tensioner had loosened and allowed the timing chain to slip. This caused an interference between the piston heads and the exhaust valves. It required a pretty extensive repair project. Sad day for my little car!

Were European cars manufactured with the same components?
f6114715537a91f19350f7a4575bc393.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Yes, it's been a long time coming! They had it sorted out stateside in 2018.

My 2012 A3 experienced an engine failure on startup in 2018. Ends up that the tensioner had loosened and allowed the timing chain to slip. This caused an interference between the piston heads and the exhaust valves. It required a pretty extensive repair project. Sad day for my little car!

Were European cars manufactured with the same components?
f6114715537a91f19350f7a4575bc393.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk[/QUOTE

Of course, the engines are all made in European factories and distributed to VW, Skoda and SEAT as well, with the same components.
Piston and ring faults are a plenty as well, causing excessive oil consumption.
Everyone in the Audi world knows about these defects—————————————————————————Except VAG themselves :whistle2: