time to go maybe

I have to agree with @jassyo06 on demo car specs. They generally do not have the spec I want and have a lot of useless electronic assist baubles. The colour and wheels are the things I look at first. Frankly Dave, I would order what I want and not have the nagging doubts of only if I had waited for a factory order that may creep into your mind every time you open the door of the demo car you purchased. It is a lot of cash and another 10% or so for what you want, makes sense to me over the long haul.

Reactions: Rob2k68, Pook, Snake Pliskin and 3 others
I have to agree with @jassyo06 on demo car specs. They generally do not have the spec I want and have a lot of useless electronic assist baubles. The colour and wheels are the things I look at first. Frankly Dave, I would order what I want and not have the nagging doubts of only if I had waited for a factory order that may creep into your mind every time you open the door of the demo car you purchased. It is a lot of cash and another 10% or so for what you want, makes sense to me over the long haul.

Over the last 10/11 years or so have bought 8 new cars and don't usually compromise but a Cayman S factory order would not arrive until end 2Q2019 or more likely into 3Q

i could order a GTS now to get the performance which with the S spec on the ex demo would make it close on a £70k car so another £12-13k including first year tax burden

If I waited for the S it's maybe 8 month wait in which time the S3 looses another £2-3k, factor in a bit of a price increase next year and it would be close to £10k more cash I would need to find.

So best case £10k less cash now and car in a month instead of 8 months for waht boils down to a not having the lights I want as I can live with the colour...does really seem to be a good compromise for me

Reactions: Rob2k68, Rolly12 and Flying Scotsman
Over the last 10/11 years or so have bought 8 new cars and don't usually compromise but a Cayman S factory order would not arrive until end 2Q2019 or more likely into 3Q

i could order a GTS now to get the performance which with the S spec on the ex demo would make it close on a £70k car so another £12-13k including first year tax burden

If I waited for the S it's maybe 8 month wait in which time the S3 looses another £2-3k, factor in a bit of a price increase next year and it would be close to £10k more cash I would need to find.

So best case £10k less cash now and car in a month instead of 8 months for waht boils down to a not having the lights I want as I can live with the colour...does really seem to be a good compromise for me

Being serious here mate....lol there's a few for sale mate at around the £49k price point.l dont know your budget

But what baffles me more is you wanting to buy a performance rear wheel drive car in the middle of winter lol

Reactions: Rob2k68, Snake Pliskin and NevMan
Being serious here mate....lol there's a few for sale mate at around the £49k price point.l dont know your budget

But what baffles me more is you wanting to buy a performance rear wheel drive car in the middle of winter lol

Surely price wise, the best time to buy lol

If you are going to buy a Porsche you gonna have to drive it in all conditions, and getting a day handling course in a Cayman S at Silverstone thrown in (which is usually standard with a new car) and generally winters down sarf are a lot milder than in your part of the world

Yea fair few basic manuals around at the £49k mark if you want a 2 year old car. On a new build if you could get one PDK, chrono pack, sports exhaust and new car tax takes you to around £58k which is what I am paying. So in effect getting an additional £6k of options in exchange for taking a 6 months old car with 6k miles on the clock

Reactions: Jcbmally, Snake Pliskin, Jassyo06 and 3 others
If you are going to buy a Porsche you gonna have to drive it in all conditions, and getting a day handling course in a Cayman S at Silverstone thrown in (which is usually standard with a new car) and generally winters down sarf are a lot milder than in your part of the world

Yea fair few basic manuals around at the £49k mark if you want a 2 year old car. On a new build if you could get one PDK, chrono pack, sports exhaust and new car tax takes you to around £58k which is what I am paying. So in effect getting an additional £6k of options in exchange for taking a 6 months old car with 6k miles on the clock

It's a no brainer for you then mate..... just get resprayed lol

Reactions: NevMan, Daveotto and Snake Pliskin
To be totally honest, I think you are trying to convince yourself this is a good deal / car and I think the potential saving and immediate car availability is what is tempting you most.

If it was the right car for you I don't think you would need to ask the question, you would know.

But at £58k it is still a very expensive car and for me would need to be 100% perfect to justify spending that kind of cash.

If it is missing some important extras or has extras you would not spec yourself, then is the car really a good buy ?

This is the kind of car you could keep for years, so personally I would spec a new one up and endure the wait - hell I waited 7 months for my RS3 lol :)

The wait is not particularly great, but it will eventually come round and you would get exactly what you want.

Reactions: Daveotto, Jassyo06 and NevMan
To be totally honest, I think you are trying to convince yourself this is a good deal / car and I think the potential saving and immediate car availability is what is tempting you most.

If it was the right car for you I don't think you would need to ask the question, you would know.

But at £58k it is still a very expensive car and for me would need to be 100% perfect to justify spending that kind of cash.

If it is missing some important extras or has extras you would not spec yourself, then is the car really a good buy ?

This is the kind of car you could keep for years, so personally I would spec a new one up and endure the wait - hell I waited 7 months for my RS3 lol :)

The wait is not particularly great, but it will eventually come round and you would get exactly what you want.

Can’t argue with these comments, well said

Reactions: Daveotto and Snake Pliskin

I think l posted along similar lines as above mate, yeah l remember your wait on the RS3 Nardo v Floret lol, l waited something like 5 months, there's a real feeling of attachment to a car you've chosen/optioned by yourself my last S3 was a cancelled order although it was nice l did have a few regrets not having a couple of options l wanted.but if oor dave is happy then that's all that matters

I think l posted along similar lines as above mate, yeah l remember your wait on the RS3 Nardo v Floret lol, l waited something like 5 months, there's a real feeling of attachment to a car you've chosen/optioned by yourself my last S3 was a cancelled order although it was nice l did have a few regrets not having a couple of options l wanted.but if oor dave is happy then that's all that matters

Yeah the wait is double edged isn't it. Get exactly what you want and the anticipation is quite exciting, but the waiting can get frustrating at times.
If the car is perfect for Dave then yeah sure go for it, but I would just want to be certain it is a perfect fit before committing at that kind of money.
Whilst it is cheaper than a new order (like for like spec) at £58k the car is book value with no discount, so I would not want to make any compromise at all.
ps: yeah, the waiting at least enabled me to dodge a nardo bullet lol ... what was I thinking pmsl ? :)

Reactions: Jassyo06 and NevMan
All good comments guys

My max budget is £60k and only after driving both the Cayman and Cayman S I realised I would have to get the Cayman S with Sports Chrono to give me enough extra performance and feel good factor over the S3 to justify the cost. Cayman would not cut it even if handling and steering feel is far superior

Realise I would be getting the car at book value, (Porsche dont give discounts easily) but have negotiated the new car Silverstone driving day and full 2 years online services and repainting of the black alloys to platinum (all in worth about £2k?)

Would be happy to wait 7-8 months (waited 6 months for my first 8V A3) but with the spec I want I would be looking at an extra £10k cash (base price + new car tax + less for the S3) so puts it out of budget.

To be honest half this debate shows what a decent car the S3 Saloon is, the Standard Cayman is really not hugely better IMHO

Reactions: NevMan, jungle650, Flying Scotsman and 3 others
All good comments guys

My max budget is £60k and only after driving both the Cayman and Cayman S I realised I would have to get the Cayman S with Sports Chrono to give me enough extra performance and feel good factor over the S3 to justify the cost. Cayman would not cut it even if handling and steering feel is far superior

Realise I would be getting the car at book value, (Porsche dont give discounts easily) but have negotiated the new car Silverstone driving day and full 2 years online services and repainting of the black alloys to platinum (all in worth about £2k?)

Would be happy to wait 7-8 months (waited 6 months for my first 8V A3) but with the spec I want I would be looking at an extra £10k cash (base price + new car tax + less for the S3) so puts it out of budget.

To be honest half this debate shows what a decent car the S3 Saloon is, the Standard Cayman is really not hugely better IMHO
Don’t think it’s been mentioned but how’s the engine sound / exhaust note compared the S3, a lot was said when they changed the engine from the previous gen?

Don’t think it’s been mentioned but how’s the engine sound / exhaust note compared the S3, a lot was said when they changed the engine from the previous gen?
Exhaust sound is pretty frickin good one started up next to me in petrol forecourt

Reactions: Bells and NevMan
All good comments guys

New car tax you mean the £450 bangers one?

Reactions: NevMan
New car tax you mean the £450 bangers one?

There is an additional new registration tax based on emissions so for the Cayman Year 1 is £140 + £840 = £980

In the next 5 years after year 1 its just an extra £310 so £450/year

Better than the S3 but not a patch on the old 6 cylinder versions, but TBH I am not that bothered about how it sounds (strange as it may seem!!!)

All good comments guys

Dave, I follow your logic and justification on the car you are looking at and getting the wheels painted to platinum is a good choice...I am not a fan of all black wheels....enjoy that new toy and knowing your past car buying history that toy will probably be chucked out of the pram in a couple of years!!! :wink:

Reactions: NevMan, Sandra, Jassyo06 and 1 other person
Dave, I follow your logic and justification on the car you are looking at and getting the wheels painted to platinum is a good choice...I am not a fan of all black wheels....enjoy that new toy and knowing your past car buying history that toy will probably be chucked out of the pram in a couple of years!!! :wink:

18 months more like :)

Reactions: TYb, NevMan and Sandra
Deal done......and collection will be early December so still got 6-7 weeks to put up with me :)

Full spec below minus a few cosmetics like painting of vehicle designation and trim etc, wheels to platinum, full new car extras all thrown in
Spec

Reactions: Rob2k68, Jassyo06, Bells and 10 others
Deal done......and collection will be early December so still got 6-7 weeks to put up with me :)

Full spec below minus a few cosmetics like painting of vehicle designation and trim etc, wheels to platinum, full new car extras all thrown in
View attachment 168346
get on Dave! well done.

time to change that signature......Porsche on the way

Reactions: Rob2k68, Jassyo06, Flying Scotsman and 1 other person

View attachment 168346

Nice mate, going to be a long 6-7 weeks but made shorter by your trip to Aus

Reactions: Rob2k68, Sandra and Daveotto

View attachment 168346
:thumbs up::thumbs up::thumbs up::thumbs up::thumbs up:

Reactions: Rob2k68

View attachment 168346
Just for christmas...enjoy :). Out of interest, how does the insurance compare to the S3?

Reactions: Rob2k68 and NevMan
Just for christmas...enjoy :). Out of interest, how does the insurance compare to the S3?

Surprisingly cheap given the Cayman is 2.5x the cost of the S3.

Been quoted £700 compared to paying £550 for the S3 this year. Was expecting £1k+ So another factor that made the decision easier to justify

Reactions: Rob2k68 and S32B
Cayman looks nice and unless you need four seats then probably a no brainer. However they sound rubbish though and are expensive. Rather have my rs3 saloon than a Porsche Cayman. I was underwhelmed which the cayman I test drive a few weeks ago. Also test drove a Porsche 911 turbo but found that a bit underwhelming compared to the rs3 considering it was near double the cost and only has two seats and the interior looked dated and a mess.....oddest thing was the parking brake, start button and whilst foot on brake you then turn the embedded key in the dash..really weird. Dials looked so dated

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We put a deposit on a stock cayman 718 mid August with a list price of £53k which they were giving us for £48 so a 5k discount. Worked out at £5k deposit and £548 a month. Had to cancel as the wife’s company weren’t keen on her car allowance and fuel card on a perceived sports car. Not a professional look apparently. Still, nicest car I’ve ever driven. Still see pics I took of it on my phone and feel the disappointment all over again

Not a professional look? Wtf. Jealousy more like. What’s wrong with people in this country.

7 months for your rs3. I ordered my rs3 on June or July 17 and got it on 25th oct 17, 3 or 4 months. With the s3 though I had to wait 8 or 9 months as it was a launch 8v s3

There is an additional new registration tax based on emissions so for the Cayman Year 1 is £140 + £840 = £980

In the next 5 years after year 1 its just an extra £310 so £450/year

Cheaper than the rs3 first year though which is 1200 with the bigger wheels....though my Audi messed up on mine as the upgraded alloys failed to account for the tax change, so I paid £800 instead lol

Surprisingly cheap given the Cayman is 2.5x the cost of the S3.

Been quoted £700 compared to paying £550 for the S3 this year. Was expecting £1k+ So another factor that made the decision easier to justify

I’ve found direct line are the cheapest for me for the rs3 and s3. 640 and 340. Oddly both went down this year

Cayman looks nice and unless you need four seats then probably a no brainer. However they sound rubbish though and are expensive. Rather have my rs3 saloon than a Porsche Cayman. I was underwhelmed which the cayman I test drive a few weeks ago. Also test drove a Porsche 911 turbo but found that a bit underwhelming compared to the rs3 considering it was near double the cost and only has two seats and the interior looked dated and a mess.....oddest thing was the parking brake, start button and whilst foot on brake you then turn the embedded key in the dash..really weird. Dials looked so dated

Porsche lover then.....PMSL

Seriously can understand what you say about the Cayman being underwhelming that’s why I have gone for the Cayman S with Chrono pack which gives book figures very similar to your RS3.

The other suff like handing mid engine balance, lower centre of gravity and RWD v 4 doors and Quattro is down to personal preference ... IMHO I would choose the Cayman S over the RS3 saloon anyday, RS3 was not even on my maybe list TBH

Last edited:
Reactions: S32B, Jcbmally, NevMan and 3 others
Pathetic compared to the rs3 though.

Really not bothered about engine sound these days ... would drive a silent electric car if it gave the handling and performance I wanted.....

And everyone seems to forget that whether be Porsche, Beemer, Merc or Audi the engine sound is artificially attenuated by default these days with options to make it louder , I turn my engine note to the lowest setting on my S3

Reactions: S32B, Jcbmally and NevMan
Porsche lover then.....PMSL

Seriously can understand what you say about the Cayman being underwhelming that’s why I have gone for the Cayman S with Chrono pack which gives book figures very similar to your RS3.

The other suff like handing mid engine balance, lower centre of gravity and RWD v 4 doors and Quattro is down to personal preference ... IMHO I would choose the Cayman S over the RS3 saloon anyday, RS3 was not even on my maybe list TBH
It’s like comparing apples with oranges, one is a genuine sports car and one is a fast daily with a powerful engine.

^^
The S3/RS3 is a mass produced small car given a performance engine.
The Cayman is built by a renowned sports car manufacturer with decades of fast road cars, Cayman was designed as a 'sports car' from the outset and only 'compromised' by its bigger brother 911.
Lots of people appear to suggest the main reason for buying an RS3 is the noise, I couldn't give a rats anymore about noise (mid 40s :)), all about the go and how it handles the go.
No comparison, buy the Porsche, if you don't like it sell it and buy something else.

Reactions: Jcbmally, NevMan and TYb
The Cayman S was on Fifth Gear last night ... up against the BMW M2 :icon thumright:

The Porsche hammered the Bimmer round the track, albeit it had optional carbon ceramic brakes @ £5k fitted :moneybag:

^^
The S3/RS3 is a mass produced small car given a performance engine.
The Cayman is built by a renowned sports car manufacturer with decades of fast road cars, Cayman was designed as a 'sports car' from the outset and only 'compromised' by its bigger brother 911.
Lots of people appear to suggest the main reason for buying an RS3 is the noise, I couldn't give a rats anymore about noise (mid 40s :)), all about the go and how it handles the go.
No comparison, buy the Porsche, if you don't like it sell it and buy something else.

I think there are many of us who do not share your view on engine sound of the glorious 5 pot in the RS3.
It adds so much to the appeal / drama / occasion of the car IMO.
Performance wise, the RS3 is not that much quicker than an S3.

The Cayman is a totally different package / sports car & not really a comparison on any level to either Audi.
The Porsche is a stunning car full stop.

Reactions: NevMan, Flying Scotsman, Bells and 1 other person
I think there are many of us who do not share your view on engine sound of the glorious 5 pot in the RS3.
It adds so much to the appeal / drama / occasion of the car IMO.
Performance wise, the RS3 is not that much quicker than an S3.

The Cayman is a totally different package / sports car & not really a comparison on any level to either Audi.
The Porsche is a stunning car full stop.
And both horrendously overpriced especially the Porker Fred and Barney's brief had more options on it, up until MY18 model changes the 718/Macan came with halogen headlights lol and still comes with just aircon.. . I would have the Boxster though purely just for its looks as i think it's one the best looking soft tops out there especially in Voodoo Blue lol

Reactions: Jcbmally, NevMan and Snake Pliskin
Did not think buying a Porsche could be so contentious... cheers from 40, 000 feet somewhere over the Indian ocean

Reactions: S32B, NevMan, TonkS3 and 3 others