Three days in

Vertigo1

Reaction score
Collected the car on Tuesday morning. A few potato quality pics here: http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/thread...a3-s3-8v-in-here.283950/page-134#post-3151185

Been out driving it and already managed to do over 400 miles so it's almost run in :) Been doing my usual run-in process of fully warming it through then loading the engine and varying revs a lot but keeping it under about 4k rpm for now. Once it gets to 500 I'll consider it done.

First impressions are that I love it. Bear in mind this is my sixth A3 and third 8V and my previous model was a saloon so this is very similar but with everything dialled up to 11. I think the three big differences from my current 1.4COD are performance, gearbox and technology.

Performance: I think the word which best describes it is 'effortless'. Just the slightest prod on the accelerator and it's alarming how fast it gathers speed. Even limiting myself to 4k rpm, it's seriously rapid and overtaking is hilariously easy.

Gearbox: All my previous A3s have been manuals. I tried an original DSG back in about 2005/6 and hated it but, as it's almost a no-brainer in an S3, I made a point of test-driving one and it's a world apart from those first boxes. I've surprised myself how much I've been using the different modes - drive/sport/manual. Paddle usage is mandatory for my running-in system as I need to accelerate hard to load the engine but short-shift around 4k rpm. They've really thought out the control system well and I find it very intuitive flicking between drive and sport and using the paddles to temporarily override or flicking the lever across into full-time manual.

Technology: I had the tech pack and connect on my previous car but it was a PFL. The new control interface on the MMI is taking a bit of getting used to but is far better overall. Two minor niggles are the voice control is far slower to respond than the old car and the wheel goes the other way!!! I know the wheel direction was a constant complaint on the old system but I was used to it - guess they listened and changed it but it's driving my bonkers right now. The virtual cockpit is awesome and I couldn't imagine going back to normal dials. Have to say I'm not very impressed with CarPlay at all and doubt I'll use it.

Negatives?

Well start/stop is driving me to distraction. I've had it on my A3s for the last seven years but they've all been manuals so the system only triggers if you put it in manual and let the clutch out. Obviously with S-Tronic it kicks in when you stop but it's very unpredictable. Sometimes it's possible to stop it by feathering the brake as you come to a halt but other times not. I've played with it a bit but I must confess I tend to just switch it off if I'm in stop-start traffic as it gets very annoying.

The only other thing I absolutely HATE is related to the hold assist which came with the comfort pack. This is actually a very useful system in the S-Tronic as it prevents creep without having to keep your foot on the brake pedal or flick the handbrake on but I'm livid that the brake lights stay lit when it's activated. I've ranted about this before and won't get into it again but, suffice to say, I was in stop-start traffic this evening on the M42 for about 20 minutes and started flicking the manual handbrake on when I stopped as I was conscious of blinding the poor guy behind me all the time.

Aside from those niggles it's all good so far :)

Reactions: Rob2k68, Audi Bairn, h5djr and 3 others
@Vertigo1 nice write-up

Just the slightest prod on the accelerator and it's alarming how fast it gathers speed

I sometimes feel like some sort of ballet dancer the way you have to feather the accelerator to keep at a road legal speed :)

Reactions: davc, Jassyo06 and oli356
Well, as I said in the pics thread, I've already had a close call with Mr. Plod :D

Reactions: Audi Bairn
Glad you seem to be enjoying it Toby. :) x

Collected the car on Tuesday morning. A few potato quality pics here: http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/thread...a3-s3-8v-in-here.283950/page-134#post-3151185

Been out driving it and already managed to do over 400 miles so it's almost run in :) Been doing my usual run-in process of fully warming it through then loading the engine and varying revs a lot but keeping it under about 4k rpm for now. Once it gets to 500 I'll consider it done.

First impressions are that I love it. Bear in mind this is my sixth A3 and third 8V and my previous model was a saloon so this is very similar but with everything dialled up to 11. I think the three big differences from my current 1.4COD are performance, gearbox and technology.

Performance: I think the word which best describes it is 'effortless'. Just the slightest prod on the accelerator and it's alarming how fast it gathers speed. Even limiting myself to 4k rpm, it's seriously rapid and overtaking is hilariously easy.

Gearbox: All my previous A3s have been manuals. I tried an original DSG back in about 2005/6 and hated it but, as it's almost a no-brainer in an S3, I made a point of test-driving one and it's a world apart from those first boxes. I've surprised myself how much I've been using the different modes - drive/sport/manual. Paddle usage is mandatory for my running-in system as I need to accelerate hard to load the engine but short-shift around 4k rpm. They've really thought out the control system well and I find it very intuitive flicking between drive and sport and using the paddles to temporarily override or flicking the lever across into full-time manual.

Technology: I had the tech pack and connect on my previous car but it was a PFL. The new control interface on the MMI is taking a bit of getting used to but is far better overall. Two minor niggles are the voice control is far slower to respond than the old car and the wheel goes the other way!!! I know the wheel direction was a constant complaint on the old system but I was used to it - guess they listened and changed it but it's driving my bonkers right now. The virtual cockpit is awesome and I couldn't imagine going back to normal dials. Have to say I'm not very impressed with CarPlay at all and doubt I'll use it.

Negatives?

Well start/stop is driving me to distraction. I've had it on my A3s for the last seven years but they've all been manuals so the system only triggers if you put it in manual and let the clutch out. Obviously with S-Tronic it kicks in when you stop but it's very unpredictable. Sometimes it's possible to stop it by feathering the brake as you come to a halt but other times not. I've played with it a bit but I must confess I tend to just switch it off if I'm in stop-start traffic as it gets very annoying.

The only other thing I absolutely HATE is related to the hold assist which came with the comfort pack. This is actually a very useful system in the S-Tronic as it prevents creep without having to keep your foot on the brake pedal or flick the handbrake on but I'm livid that the brake lights stay lit when it's activated. I've ranted about this before and won't get into it again but, suffice to say, I was in stop-start traffic this evening on the M42 for about 20 minutes and started flicking the manual handbrake on when I stopped as I was conscious of blinding the poor guy behind me all the time.

Aside from those niggles it's all good so far :)

Glad to that you enjoy your new car - just wait till it's run in! Regarding the two negatives - they can both very easily be sorted/disabled/changed through OBDeleven or VCDS as you may already know.

Glad to that you enjoy your new car - just wait till it's run in! Regarding the two negatives - they can both very easily be sorted/disabled/changed through OBDeleven or VCDS as you may already know.
I've also had a few chavs in hot hatches up my backside but none have actually had a go yet.

I'm aware that start/stop can be disabled but I'm happy doing that manually as and when.

Regards the brake lights though - can that be changed with VCDS? I've not read anything about that.

To stop the stop-start kicking in, just as you are coming to a stop flick the gear lever over to the left to put it into manual. It never kicks in with that engaged

Reactions: Audi Bairn, oli356 and Jassyo06
To stop the stop-start kicking in, just as you are coming to a stop flick the gear lever over to the left to put it into manual. It never kicks in with that engaged
Didn't know this, good to know! A it easier to flick the gear lever than press the button I guess..
Thanks!

Reactions: allanmb
What's in the comfort pack.....,? NA on my car... ie wasn't a option

I don't think it engages in Sport mode either.

What's in the comfort pack.....,? NA on my car... ie wasn't a option

B&O, parking plus (front sensors), hold assist and heated seats (standard on S3 anyway)

It's not available on the Black Edition as that already has B&O so two out of the four options are already there.

Reactions: Jassyo06
I've searched and can't see anything about disabling brake lights with hold assist via VCDS :( There's chat about it but no resolution.

It's annoying as apparently the Passat doesn't do this which suggests it is programmable.

I went for the hold assist on my A5 coupe, my brake lights don't stay on! Stop at lights, junction etc, press the brake firmly down and the green light comes on the dash to say that it's on....look in my rearview and no brake lights blinding the driver behind! Seems odd it doesn't work the same on the A/S3?!?!?

Reactions: Bristle Hound
I went for the hold assist on my A5 coupe, my brake lights don't stay on! Stop at lights, junction etc, press the brake firmly down and the green light comes on the dash to say that it's on....look in my rearview and no brake lights blinding the driver behind! Seems odd it doesn't work the same on the A/S3?!?!?

Very odd!

@Vertigo1 I'm sure @DJAlix will know if brake lights can be turned off in VCDS...

Additionally, I just pull the lever into S mode most of the time when I want to stop the 'stop-start' function.

I find the auto-hill hold annoying sometimes, because when the traffic moves, you can sometimes get an uncomfortable jerk as the brakes quickly release whilst you're on the loud pedal, but it's mostly ok. Not sure I'd spec it next time, but as it was cheap and can be turned off, I can live with it.

I'm glad someone else finds the HHA / brake light an annoyance. It must be dazzling for the car behind.

Reactions: Jassyo06
@Vertigo1 - I have a B8.5 S4 which has the s-tronic GB & HHA fitted
When the HHA is 'active' my brake lights don't come on

I also had HHA fitted to my manual GB B8 A4 & the brake light s didn't come on when it was active in that car either

Wonder if its a model specific thing

Stop/start ? I've enabled the memory function on the button via the Carista app
****** hate S/S me

Sooo glad l dont have hold assist....me left pussy finger is a lot cheaper....lol anyway glad your enjoying your car mate....the gearbox has sorted the car right out,the S3 is a great all rounder.....now very fast off the mark....vague steering but what Audi has'nt,it feels a bit more special now the S3 does,rather than it being a A3 with bigger engine fired into it

Reactions: Jcbmally

I also had HHA fitted to my manual GB B8 A4 & the brake light s didn't come on when it was active in that car either

Hmm seems to be - just wish I could change it via VCDS.

Maybe the systems are different - does yours use the regular brakes to hold the car or the handbrake? Mine just keeps the standard hydraulic brakes applied when holding it with the green symbol lit.

****** hate S/S me

Interesting, does that just remember you've turned it off between ignition starts?

Do tell more :)

Unmarked Beemer following me at 90 on the M6. Stuck his blues on then pulled alongside and gestured to cool it before taking off :)

Reactions: oli356
Hmm seems to be - just wish I could change it via VCDS.

Maybe the systems are different - does yours use the regular brakes to hold the car or the handbrake? Mine just keeps the standard hydraulic brakes applied when holding it with the green symbol lit.
@Vertigo1 - As far as I'm aware all Audi HHA works on the same principle
http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/hill-assist-hill-hold-assist.184536/
http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/thread...guides-on-the-8v-chassis.198794/#post-2286206

Interesting, does that just remember you've turned it off between ignition starts?
Similar to the HHA button, once pressed you'll never have to press it again, unless you want to switch it off
Doesn't make any difference how many times you switch the ignition on and off it will always remember the state you last left it

Reactions: sve170
Unmarked Beemer following me at 90 on the M6. Stuck his blues on then pulled alongside and gestured to cool it before taking off :)

Reminds of when I had just got my first 8V (150bhp 2.0 TDI) a few years back could not resist cruising well beyond 90 on an empty dual carriageway late one night when a car came flying down the slip road and put on its blues as it joined the dual carriageway, needless to say I slowed to the speed limit and it flew right past me, obviously on its to way to fry bigger fish, but it did make my heart skip a beat or two

Similar to the HHA button, once pressed you'll never have to press it again, unless you want to switch it off
Doesn't make any difference how many times you switch the ignition on and off it will always remember the state you last left it

I presume that's possible via VCDS too - hadn't seen anything about that setting, only the "tricks" such as the battery voltage one.

****** hate S/S me
lol it annoys me when on the odd occasion I forget to turn the SS off when I start the car, then when I stop at the lights it cuts off! It's a case of "f*** forgot to turn it off"...feeling annoyed with myself for forgetting and then press the off button extra hard :D

Reactions: Bristle Hound and Tom.H
I'm quite interested in this "memory" thing which allows you, via VCDS or similar, to program the S/S button to remember its setting between ignition starts.

I'd almost be tempted to buy VCDS for that alone but I can't find any info on whether it works on the FL A3. @DJAlix ? :)

@Vertigo1 - I've been able to the memory function on the stop/start button using Carista
This may be a much cheaper option, if you are able to do it on the 8V A3/S3's, than going down the VCDS route IMHO

Yeah I know it's possible using Carista, what I can't determine is if it works on the FL A3

@Vertigo1 I'm sure @DJAlix will know if brake lights can be turned off in VCDS...
The following is now activated by default from the factory:
  • ENG10575-ENG116593-Au¤enlicht_Front-Tagfahrlicht-Dauerfahrlicht aktiviert zusaetzlich Standlicht
Setting this to "not active" should turn off the rear lights as Daytime Running Lights.

Reactions: Mark_86
I'm quite interested in this "memory" thing which allows you, via VCDS or similar, to program the S/S button to remember its setting between ignition starts.

I'd almost be tempted to buy VCDS for that alone but I can't find any info on whether it works on the FL A3. @DJAlix ? :)
S/S Memory is not possible via coding on the Audi A3 and indeed Q2. You can "trick" the system in to staying off with VCDS and alike but then its off and cannot be turned back on should you want it, not on demand anyway.

Not to Hijack the thread but I have developed a S/S system memory module which remembers the system status between ignition cycles and therefore remains deactivated, but which can be activated again at the touch of a button should you get stuck in traffic and not want to make the world a little warmer :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Mark_86 and T-800
S/S Memory is not possible via coding on the Audi A3 and indeed Q2. You can "trick" the system in to staying off with VCDS and alike but then its off and cannot be turned back on should you want it, not on demand anyway.

Not to Hijack the thread but I have developed a S/S system memory module which remembers the system status between ignition cycles and therefore remains deactivated, but which can be activated again at the touch of a button should you get stuck in traffic and not want to make the world a little warmer :)

How much is your module and how is it fitted. I use thr VCDS always off at the moment but there are occasions when it would be nice to switch off the engine at the press of a switch and have it automatically start when I want to move again.

Reactions: Vertigo1
Interesting. I'll see how much the S/S ends up annoying me and maybe look at this again in due course.

What I really want is a module which kills the brake lights when auto hold kicks in :)

He said in the video - £57.50 delivered or fitted (if you come to him) for ASN members.

Reactions: T-800 and DJAlix