Thoughts please; S1 or A5 (3.0 TDI Quattro)

Matty_S3&S5

Reaction score
Hello to all you wise people and I use that term loosely until you've commented below :)

Currently have a MY16 S3 SB and a company car that is a Toyota Camry Hybrid. My work are looking to move us all out of company cars and onto an allowance if we want something other than a hybrid Camry or a diesel Rav4.... (neither get any juices flowing)

So.... Do I opt for an S1 for some long overdue manual fun (been a long time since I had anything manual; 11+ years since leaving UK) or do I settle for a comfortable, yet not too shabby in a straight line acceleration A5 3.0 TDI Quattro?

I drive about 70(ish) KM round trip to work and back in Sydney's finest peak hour traffic that can either be 25mins to work or 1.5hrs of nose to tail stop start hell (think 8am on the M25 coming past the M4 to Heathrow!)

Yes the S1 would be great fun, but can I live with it as a daily driver which will make the S3 the more sedate alternative or do I get a quick armchair on wheels that economical in the A5?

Pretty friendly with the dealership and they have offered me a brand new incoming to Australia S1 (with all bells and whistles) for a little over the base model of the 1.0 A1... Tempting....

Cheers all for your feedback.

As much fun as the S1 is...I doubt I could live with it daily, particularly with the type of journey you describe!

The A5 is very comfortable and quiet. I test drove the S3 recently and getting back in the S5 reminded me how just that bit more refined the A/S5 is on motorways. Sound proofing is lovely and even on 19" wheels and whatever suspension setup the S5 has (same as S-Line?), it's a remarkably comfortable cruiser.

Not quiet A/S7 territory, but not far off.

You will probably regret not getting the S1 when you reach the B roads though...!

Reactions: Audi Bairn, Simon L and pburv
S1. You only live once.

TX.

Sent from my STV100-4 using Tapatalk

Reactions: sve170 and pburv
Sorry Terminator...I'm with the Doc on this one...The OP has already answered his own question....****** journeys going to and from work will make you fall out of love with the S1 very quickly....Stick with the A5 nice and comfy after a hard days work...:friends:

Reactions: Audi Bairn and Simon L
Sorry Terminator...I'm with the Doc on this one...The OP has already answered his own question....****** journeys going to and from work will make you fall out of love with the S1 very quickly....Stick with the A5 nice and comfy after a hard days work...:friends:
But don't get to comfortable...lol
Upload 2016 11 7 16 15 54

Reactions: CarloS3, SamR92, Scottyg and 1 other person
Chalk n cheese these 2 mate, but yeah I'm with Paul gotta be the A5 with your usage.

Reactions: Scottyg, Audi Bairn and pburv
Only 70km round trip ***!

TX.

Reactions: Audi Bairn, pburv and Jassyo06
So 40 miles a day in total?... I'd go manual S1 !:racer:

Reactions: pburv
S1...... with the deal your getting on it,no brainer.... ahh but wait,l do like the A5 with 20"s on a black edition..... both nice cars,win win either way

Reactions: Audi Bairn, Simon L and pburv
Only 70km round trip ***!

TX.

It's not about the distance it's the time the OP says he sometimes spends on his commute...lol

Reactions: Audi Bairn and Simon L
It's not about the distance it's the time the OP says he sometimes spends on his commute...lol

Exactly...if my daily commute is crawling stop/start traffic, even for just 10miles, then I would really regret not getting the auto...

In fact, that was a major reason for me switching to auto. I then found out that a decent automatic is also great to drive and have never looked back...

Reactions: Scottyg, Audi Bairn, Simon L and 1 other person
It's all subjective really, but has anyone driven the A5 bi Turbo on here????

Reactions: Simon L and pburv
Exactly...if my daily commute is crawling stop/start traffic, even for just 10miles, then I would really regret not getting the auto...

In fact, that was a major reason for me switching to auto. I then found out that a decent automatic is also great to drive and have never looked back...
Without turning it into the usual auto vs manual debate....Being stuck in stop start traffic is no fun in a manual car especially after a hard days work so logic says you are better off in an auto ......If the S1 comes in auto??? then yes I would choose that..:salute:

Reactions: Scottyg, Audi Bairn and Simon L
Without turning it into the usual auto vs manual debate....Being stuck in stop start traffic is no fun in a manual car especially after a hard days work so logic says you are better off in an auto ......If the S1 comes in auto??? then yes I would choose that..:salute:

S1 manual only

Reactions: WarwickL, pburv and Simon L
I would go for the A5, whatever the drive.

Can you not also choose from an A3 or A4?

I don't think it's a bi-turbo like l said more like the 218 bhp
Oh!...I'm right in saying the bi turbo is a powerful engine right?
300+ bhp??

Reactions: Jassyo06
I'm with most of the guys above in opting for the A5.
But I'm biased in having owned an A5 and currently an S5.
The S1 would be amazing fun, but too small for me and would detest the bumper to bumper traffic when compared with the auto.
I think your underestimating / doing a disservice to the A5 as the 3.0tdi is far from an armchair. It's no slouch.
At the end of the day we can tell you our thoughts but it's really personal taste and circumstances.
Good luck with whatever you decide and let us know how it's going.

Reactions: pburv, Jassyo06 and Simon L
Why don't you keep the S3?

Reactions: pburv, Jassyo06, musicegbdf and 1 other person
I think he's keeping the S3 as weekend car and buying a daily with his company allowance????
Is your S3 S-Tronic??
If it is one car you're buying and ditching the S3 it would be the A5 for me. As above, driving in stop start traffic in a manual is just something I have no inkling to do anymore!

Reactions: pburv, Jassyo06, Simon L and 3 others
Thanks all for the replies.

Keeping the S3 (S-tronic box as the wait for a manual was over 10 months!) as this is what the better half drives when she isn't on the bus into the city for work. Its only 5mths old anyway.

Had an A6 3.0 Tdi as a loan car for a couple of days when the S3 was in for new windscreen under warranty and that engine was lovely. Had the same power, but not the thirst of the S3 hence looking at A5 with the same engine; power and a lot more comfort than the S3, hence my armchair on wheels comment.

What I cannot go past is the fun factor the S1 will give me when I am not in the stop start grind of traffic. Yes, I do leave early already to avoid it, but its still not as clear as it should be and when some muppet has a bingle, all the rubber neckers turn a 60-70kph road into a 1-2kph road! :rage:

Will ask the dealer if I can nab the S1 for a 2 day test drive period so I can see if I could live with it as a daily or just leave it at home and take the S3 as a daily instead :)

Will keep you guys posted, but at the moment, its 50/50 until ive driven them for a couple days each really....

Reactions: Audi Bairn, pburv, Jassyo06 and 2 others
Thanks all for the replies.

Keeping the S3 (S-tronic box as the wait for a manual was over 10 months!) as this is what the better half drives when she isn't on the bus into the city for work. Its only 5mths old anyway.

Had an A6 3.0 Tdi as a loan car for a couple of days when the S3 was in for new windscreen under warranty and that engine was lovely. Had the same power, but not the thirst of the S3 hence looking at A5 with the same engine; power and a lot more comfort than the S3, hence my armchair on wheels comment.

What I cannot go past is the fun factor the S1 will give me when I am not in the stop start grind of traffic. Yes, I do leave early already to avoid it, but its still not as clear as it should be and when some muppet has a bingle, all the rubber neckers turn a 60-70kph road into a 1-2kph road! :rage:

Will ask the dealer if I can nab the S1 for a 2 day test drive period so I can see if I could live with it as a daily or just leave it at home and take the S3 as a daily instead :)

Will keep you guys posted, but at the moment, its 50/50 until ive driven them for a couple days each really....
Is it not possible for you to buy a used S1?..Don't know how common they are on the used car market in your 'neck of the woods' but here in the UK you can get a decent one from around £18k ...Just a thought...:friends:

Reactions: Scottyg and Simon L
I did think about the used market, but if I buy new, I can get the 3 years free servicing, 5yrs warranty and have the option to hand the keys back after 4 years no questions asked (plus cash my way if its more than the trade in value) even if I buy the car outright there and then without using audi Finance etc to get this deal.

Plus, Id rather have a new one :) hehe

Reactions: pburv, Simon L and Jassyo06
I did think about the used market, but if I buy new, I can get the 3 years free servicing, 5yrs warranty and have the option to hand the keys back after 4 years no questions asked (plus cash my way if its more than the trade in value) even if I buy the car outright there and then without using audi Finance etc to get this deal.

Plus, Id rather have a new one :) hehe

Yea but a 4yr PCP will cost you about £5k in interest...

Not sure servicing costs and repair bills will ever rack up to that amount over 4yrs...

Reactions: pburv and Simon L
Would not be financed, would be a cash sale.

Would not be financed, would be a cash sale.

Oh OK. Sorry was confused by the bit about handing it back and getting equity with trade in?

Yeah - should have been more clear mate. The dealer (have a great relationship) will give me the same deal as if going through their finance, but on a cash sale. Basically know I can return after 4 years and walk away without the hassle of selling privately or getting screwed on a trade in.

Reactions: pburv, Simon L and DrEskimo
I did the Sydney commute for 10 years - 1 1/2 to 2 hours each way (Hills District to Northern Beaches).

I'd go the S1. The Sydney traffic still gives you plenty of areas where you can have fun with the manual and the little S1 is so much lighter, more nimble and chuckable.

I had the GTI and then the R for that commute but the few times I took the wifes manual Fiesta to work, it was so much more fun. Even the daughters 1.4 manual Swift was more fun in that traffic.

Reactions: Simon L and pburv
S1 all day.
I sold my s1 for the latest mk 3 tts in April and the tts is completely dull dare I say it like the s3.
I'm going back to a s1 sometimes less is more.
You won't be disappointed with it.

Reactions: WarwickL and Simon L
S1 all day.
I sold my s1 for the latest mk 3 tts in April and the tts is completely dull dare I say it like the s3.
I'm going back to a s1 sometimes less is more.
You won't be disappointed with it.

Well that's put the cat among the pigeons ......S1 over S3 and TTS?? I'll have to give this bad boy a spin!! (way too small for me though)

Reactions: pburv and WarwickL
Well that's put the cat among the pigeons ......S1 over S3 and TTS?? I'll have to give this bad boy a spin!! (way too small for me though)

LOL. I'll take the TTS and S3 any day of the week but I'd happily have an S1 as a shopping trolley or commuter in traffic.

Actually, I'd probably buy a cheaper option like the Kia GT TBH - even more fun, better looking, better tech, better warranty and a ***** load cheaper ;)

Reactions: pburv, Audi Bairn and Simon L
LOL. I'll take the TTS and S3 any day of the week but I'd happily have an S1 as a shopping trolley or commuter in traffic.

Actually, I'd probably buy a cheaper option like the Kia GT TBH - even more fun, better looking, better tech, better warranty and a ***** load cheaper ;)

Only ever seen one S1, young kiddy local I think as seen it a few times................he drives it look a ****** maniac!! lol

Reactions: pburv, Audi Bairn and WarwickL
That's my opinion of the tts/s3 competent but boy are they dull.
I can only go on my experience having had both I'd choose the s1 every day over both of them having spent my hard earned money on both a tts and a s1.
I personally don't really care if some young ones drive them as I equally could say I know that some older people than me drive s1's.
But I'm not interested in image I'd rather have something that puts a smile on my face something the tts has rarely done.
I'm not trying to be controversial at all far from it.

Reactions: richinsoton, pburv and Simon L
That's my opinion of the tts/s3 competent but boy are they dull.
I can only go on my experience having had both I'd choose the s1 every day over both of them having spent my hard earned money on both a tts and a s1.
I personally don't really care if some young ones drive them as I equally could say I know that some older people than me drive s1's.
But I'm not interested in image I'd rather have something that puts a smile on my face something the tts has rarely done.
I'm not trying to be controversial at all far from it.

Your opinion is as valid as anyone else's mate, albeit in my opinion it's probably a minority one.

I think it's fair to say the S3/TTS are just too composed for some people, as in quiet for the most part with far less feeling of speed than you'd expect from the figures on paper. They are quick, just doesn't always feel like it. I like the smooth quiet side of things especially when I'm out with the missus who is no speed freak to say the least!! lol

The S1 is bound to feel a bit more agile given it's diminutive stature, but I'm sure it's great for bombing around town as Warwick said........in and out the Tesco isles, you'd get the shopping done in no time :)

Reactions: pburv, Audi Bairn, andy l and 1 other person
Your opinion is as valid as anyone else's mate, albeit in my opinion it's probably a minority one.

I think it's fair to say the S3/TTS are just too composed for some people, as in quiet for the most part with far less feeling of speed than you'd expect from the figures on paper. They are quick, just doesn't always feel like it. I like the smooth quiet side of things especially when I'm out with the missus who is no speed freak to say the least!! lol

The S1 is bound to feel a bit more agile given it's diminutive stature, but I'm sure it's great for bombing around town as Warwick said........in and out the Tesco isles, you'd get the shopping done in no time :)

Sounds like you'll be better suited to the S5 mate....! Sod it just get an S8 and stick your slippers in the boot ;)

Reactions: pburv, Simon L and andy l