Thoughts on Bose?

Just to clear up a few things here:
1. All A3's have a sub behind the passenger side boot panel, regardless of Bose or non Bose
2. Unfortunately they share the same cheap plastic enclosure, so I guess Bose have done the best they can given the constraints Audi put on them for cost and having to share this feeble sub enclosure.
3. By disconnecting the Bose EQ wire on the back of the HU you are not disconnecting Bose, merely taking off the flat EQ the Bose system provides as standard and getting back a smiley face EQ of the non Bosed HU. You still have the Bose amp, speakers and sub.
4. The Bose welcome on startup is a setting via VAGCOM/VCDS and is purely cosmetic, it means nothing.
5. The pic posted above is a stealth sub in an A4 Avant. The A3 stealth sub is below and the amp is hidden behind the rear speaker panel.
Plastic tupperware Bose sub
BoseSub.jpg

18mm MDF Stealth sub enclosure, 6.5" JL Audio subwoofer powered by 300wrms Alpine V12 amp
AMSS8Pfitted.jpg

All details are here:
http://www.dizzythedog.com/index.php?f=data_audi_a3_stealth_sub&a=1

Last edited:
Offtopic, but I don't think my car has the soundproofing piece in the wheel well; does that foam sit below the spare wheel?

Just to clear up a few things here:
1. All A3's have a sub behind the passenger side boot panel, regardless of Bose or non Bose
2. Unfortunately they share the same cheap plastic enclosure, so I guess Bose have done the best they can given the constraints Audi put on them for cost and having to share this feeble sub enclosure.
3. By disconnecting the Bose EQ wire on the back of the HU you are not disconnecting Bose, merely taking off the flat EQ the Bose system provides as standard and getting back a smiley face EQ of the non Bosed HU. You still have the Bose amp, speakers and sub.
4. The Bose welcome on startup is a setting via VAGCOM/VCDS and is purely cosmetic, it means nothing.
5. The pic posted above is a stealth sub in an A4 Avant. The A3 stealth sub is below and the amp is hidden behind the rear speaker panel.
Plastic tupperware Bose sub
BoseSub.jpg

18mm MDF Stealth sub enclosure, 6.5" JL Audio subwoofer powered by 300wrms Alpine V12 amp
AMSS8Pfitted.jpg

All details are here:
http://www.dizzythedog.com/index.php?f=data_audi_a3_stealth_sub&a=1

Where is the amp mate??

Picture would be great. Also how do you manage the wiring between the Bose system and this? Just an output feed from the Bose to the Alpine sub channel and then put conventional power cables through to the Alpine amp?

Shame my old sub is too big (Alpine 12" R type closed box dual voice coil jobbie).

I ordered my 2008 2.0 tdi s-line new with Concert 6cd changer and Bose, and at first it sounded great. Somewhere, and at some time, the sound experience was not as good as new anymore; stereo channel separation was suddenly rubbish (tested with radio, CD and external source), humble bass and a bit of treble and mid-tone distortion at mid-range volume, and the speakers were NOT blown, I took them out of the car and checked them connected to my home stereo.

All this happened at the same time as the Gala-function did not work as usual before, the speed-controlled volume did not work at normal low speeds. After a service done by Audi Zentrum Flensburg Germany the good old Bose sound came back with full force, they did not tell me what they did with the setup, but it still works 100%

I'm not quite sure what to think of this - either there is a software bug in the headunit communication with the Bose Amplifier that they reset on service, or, there is a physical connection error somewhere that they can fix if notified, and provided that you are lucky enough to get in touch with a mechanic that knows this kind of error? Or, maybe the amplifier was the problem and was replaced? (It sits in the trunk on the right hand side)

Last edited:
You can fiddle with the EQ slope on the HU which can dramatically effect the Bose sound, maybe this got altered on battery disconnect for the service, might be why some people's systems sound a bit flat also:
"To access the EQ all you have to do is turn off your car and remove the key. Then hold down the number '5' on your CD changer/Radio preset control and power on the head unit.
You will see '55555555' if your radio is in stock form. These numbers represent 4 EQ settings each for front and back. They are, in order from left to right (courtesy of LCP on the AudiWorld forums):
1. Front low bass
2. Front mid bass
3. Front midrange
4. Front treble
5. Rear low bass
6. Rear mid bass
7. Rear midrange
8. Rear treble
To adjust the settings, use your volume knob to change the flashing digit to a value from 1 to 9 (1 being the lowest level, 9 being the highest) and press P.SCAN to go to the next digit. When you get to the end it will wrap back to the first digit.
The most popular settings for bose seem to be 88698869, however after a bit of testing with my favorite music, I found that to sound boomy and hollow and have since gone with 76567656. My next task will be to increase the directional (midrange and treble) sound on the front speakers only to bring the Bose sound stage back towards the front without sacrificing bass out of my rear speakers.
The best setting that I have heard for the non-bose system is 38679657. It still doesn't sound like bose, and certainly not like a good after-market setup, but it's a major improvement for those that wish a simple change to improve their overall sound and reduce distortion"

Well done AndyMac, sound advice as always!

How do you enter those Bose settings on a new Concert HU, I don't have a number 5 button or a p.scan button...or am I being a numpty??

No idea, just quoting something I found on audiworld. I neither endorse or take responsibility for anything I say.

No idea, just quoting something I found on audiworld. I neither endorse or take responsibility for anything I say.

Ahhh....I suspect that as the Concert III has Bass, Mid and Treble adjustments in the menu that it doesn't require the hidden features on the previous model, well thats what I thought when sitting in the car on the drive earlier anyway!

Are you still producing your sub enclosures?

Well done AndyMac, sound advice as always!

How do you enter those Bose settings on a new Concert HU, I don't have a number 5 button or a p.scan button...or am I being a numpty??

I had the same dilemna. It appears you access the Bose EQ settings on the latest HUs via VAG-COM, not using the method above.

No it doesn't fit the sportback, would you believe Audi redesigned the sub just for the sportback so that you have the benefit of the slightly sculpted boot panels? (a stupid little indent at the top of the panel which provides no usable increase in boot space but probably adds some vital cubic cm's to the spec sheet). On all other A3/S3's the boot panels are flat. This unusable space on the sportback means the panel will not fit over the stealth sub. Can't redesign it as there is barely enough room for the standard stealth enclosure, plus there's nowhere to hide the amp.
Cheers, Andy

is there no way of mounting the amp on the other side of the boot (drivers side) where the original Bose amp is supposed to be?
i want to keep the stealth sub feature as i use my boot on a regular basis, and dont really want a big box in the boot but the bose system is crappy on most songs and fails to deliver decent quality of music on most songs.
i admit it is better than the OEM speakers but not worth its money.

No the Bose amp is tiny, a proper amp will not fit and you still need the Bose amp for the cabin speakers unless you go aftermarket HU and new speakers all round.
Boseamp.jpg

My S3 bose sound is really good. I understand that the bass isnt particulalry powerful and high-pitched sounds can sound a bit 'peaky', but you can have a conversation in the car with the music turned up quite loud. I think that that's a sign of a well-judged in-car music system.

I think the BOSE is brilliant, sounds so much better than any other audio set-up ive heard. Granted im only 22 and my last 2 cars were a clio and a Astra sport hatch but yes very impressed. Deadmau5 album + BOSE + Full Volume, no distortion = audio heaven for me. Wonder if they'll start doing the B&O system in the A3...:drool: