TDI oil temp question

sleep envy

Reaction score
on the back of this thread

http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/showthread.php?t=41310

it's mentioned that the DIS has an oil temp gauge

unfortunately my car doesn't have it so I'm constantly guessing at the oil temp when driving the car when cold

could anyone be kind enough to give me some indication as to how long it roughly takes for the oil to get up to temp when the water reaches normal operating temp of 90 degrees

that is an interesting question....

I would assume that oil reaches temperature much faster than the water that cools the engine... I mean that for the water reach 90, the oil has to be there before.... but really don;t have a clue...

Pedro

I *think* the water gets up to temp before the oil as most engines have a thermostat which stays closed until it's at normal temp - it also helps to warm up the matrix on cold, winter mornings

not sure there's a thermostat for the oil system

it's a PITA as my commute is mostly A road so I have to drive at a slow pace until I'm definite the oil is up to temp

off course there is a thermostat but for the water to warm up there has to be a heat transfer... which will be from the hottest part to the coldest... so I was assuming that the oil had to warm up before the water...

Pedro

but there is also the heat generated by the combustion it self so the oil might not warm up before the water!! I said it was an interesting question.... lolol

I guess tomorrow I will let you know.... will drive my S3 and see which temp gets sorted first.

Water temperature is lower than oil temperature... I think in my S3 normal oil temp is around 95-97

Pedro

cheers but a weasle takes far longer to get up to temp as it's a far more efficient engine than a petrol burner - need confirmation from a TDI driver

as an aside - what temps do you get on the motorway?

got oil temps of 105 sometimes but motorway pushing hard 100.... pretty stable the oil temp

Pedro

also the water temperature is not accurate! the dial is not accurate its positions are average... I would like to have real time water temp on the DIS as well...

don't know but if it was something interesting I could use my go kart datalogger and get all the tempreatures that I wanted, even exhaust gas temps! (important in go karts to know what is happening in the combustion chamber...)

But that would require some wiring and can'te really be bothered...lolol Let's hope someone in the forum either with VAG-COM or not give us an hint!

Pedro

The oil takes a lot longer to get up to temp than the water. Water will be showing 90 and oil will still only be showing as 50ish.

It takes about 10 miles for my oil to get to 80 degrees. Highest I've seen it is 89 degrees after pushing it a bit and then it cooled down to 82 which is generally where it sits once its warmed up.

Matt's right.

Oil takes a lot longer to warm up. Once my water temp gets to 90, my oil is at 55ish. I do a lot of motorway mileage and the oil when warmed up to it normal temp reads between 87~89 degrees. Havent really timed how long it takes to get there tho.

Coss

found the same today... oil takes longer...

I guess one must be carefull and wait a little bit more even if water temp is at 90C as oil temp not yet right and oil not working 100%...

Lesson learned... will be even more careful before giving the S3 the beans...

Pedro

If you buy the expensive long-life oil it will work to some extent from the moment you turn the key and will have achieved most of it's required properties by the time it reaches 50 degrees - so probably about the same time the water guage shows 90.

Incidentally has anybody ever been in a VW that was healthy and not been at 90 degrees when warmed up? I've had a Seat Ibiza (first VAG version), Mk2 Golf GTi, Mk3 Golf TDi, 8P A3 TDi which have all sat bang on 90. My dad is like a stick of VW rock - apart from his first car - a Mini, he's only ever owned VW's. Beetle (old school), Mk1 Golf, Mk2 Golf, Mk2 Golf GTi, Passat GT (the last Passat which looked good), Mk4 Golf TDi, Passat TDi, Mk1 Bora TDi and now has a Touran TDi - all of which have all sat at 90 degrees (or so he tells me).

I think the water temp needle is not actually indicating real temperature... it stays at 90 mark for a temperature range... what I mean is that it will stay at 90 if temp is 85 or 95...

I read this somewhere... but I might be wrong...

Pedro

Yes it will remain on the 90 spot once up to temp and only go outside of it when the temp is outside the normal range.

Not sure what that range is but basically there is a window of temp where it will sit at 90. Personally I'd prefer to see it fluctuate with the temp.

Paul

I find it takes between 15 and 20 mins to get the oil up to 90 degrees.

Anyone knows what is the optimum temperature for the oil? I understand that is different from the water temperature on the radiator...

cheers chaps - will need to take the long way onto the A1M before I give it some welly

don't know what the exact figures are but oil has a range depending on the type of driving you are doing

on motorways the engine will run far cooler than sitting in traffic or a slow 2nd gear crawl up a mountain on a hot day

have seen a 25% difference in temp on my air cooled flat six which has a mega accurate guage (for obvious reasons)