Switching air on on / off stinks!

N

Nick Sutton

As per the title really guys, literally smells like a dead squirrel is in there somewhere...

I'm assuming / hoping this isn't the case, although I'm no fan of squirrels actually.

Turning the Aircon on stinks the car out for a good few minutes, I have to endure the same again when turning it off... As summer has been so crappy it's not been much of an issue, but I have a few days off so thought I'd see if it's a quick and easy fix that I've overlooked, or if it's back to dealership before warranty runs out!

Cheers,
Nick

This happened on my Dad's A6 (2006 model). Audi said it was because AC was kept switched off too much.

Essentially they expect AC to stay on even if it's just maintaining 23 degrees - it keeps the fluids moving. They said something along those lines anyways.

They changed the fluids, the smell went and from then on we kept AC on all the time

Maybe you are getting bad smells as you do not use aircon regularly so there is a build up of odours in the ducting from the rubber/plastic parts

Rubber seals can often smell of rotting fish and ABS can give off formaldehyde etc. etc etc.

To be honest not sure why you dont just leave the aircon on auto but suggest as a minimum in the short term (4-5 days or so depending on mileage) you leave it on permanatly to see if this flushes out the system

I used an aircon bomb on my S4 to rid it of the nasty smell when I got it.

worked a treat.I have AC on all the time so no issues anymore

It's probably just something many are used to. In the past you wouldn't switch on AC unless you needed cool air, however these days it's kept on all the time.

I guess as it's got efficient enough to keep on all the time...the downside is that it HAS to be kept on otherwise you get smells/issues.

Huh, I'm a stickler for economy so always keep it off, I'll leave it on for the next few days.

What's an Aircon bomb by the way?

Your AC needs regassing. £80 from Audi, £50/£60 at a garage.

Not sure it does because it's still freezing cold, just smelly!

This sort of thing: Amazon product

You basically turn the aircon on full blast recirculate, depress the locking nozzle open and then leave it inside the car. It produces a deodorising fog that gets sucked through the system to sterilise it.

Reactions: Snibo and xpoweruk
Its not regassing, its a build up of bacteria afaik, audi would use aircon bombs & if this did not cure, they then basically fumigate it with there own system to kill any lingering, you can buy bombs online, Wurth make them & they're cheap.

Huh, I'm a stickler for economy so always keep it off, I'll leave it on for the next few days.

Could be a false economy!! Air con likes running as it helps lubricate seals and gaskets. Leave it off and coolant is likely to leak earlier compared to a system that is permanatly on consequently needing an earlier regas

Just back to add that leaving it running solved the problem! Cheers guys.
No noticeable effect on fuel consumption either!

I always thought the point of climate control (or auto) ac, compared to the manual ac was to keep it on all the time. Certainly the weather in Sydney. means the ac is used predominantly for cooling, for about 9 months of the year.

After 11months, the car is starting to smell in heavy traffic (exhaust fumes ) so probably a new filter is due. My old GTI did the same thing, the original pollen filter lasted about 12months and the 2nd one was still ok, when I sold the car 4 years later.

Its not regassing, its a build up of bacteria afaik, audi would use aircon bombs & if this did not cure, they then basically fumigate it with there own system to kill any lingering, you can buy bombs online, Wurth make them & they're cheap.
Thanks. Will give it a try. I've got this odor in my car at the moment.

The smell is bacteria building up.
Normally occurs with those too tight to use the air con..
Why though? It saves very little in economy when your driving around in an expensive Audi!
A pollen filter change may help slightly but ultimately just leaving the air con running all the time in Auto mode is my input on this matter! You ever had a courtesy car that smells? No, it's always got the AC on..
Least then the compressor is running and not left to fail as they ultimately do with Audi's in later life when not used...