Suspension

oufc1976

Reaction score
I know there are a million threads and opinions on this subject but I wanted to start a thread to help prospective buyers make an informed decision.

In my time I've owned a dropped Fiesta RS Turbo, 205 GTi, Impreza UK300 and currently have a MKIV Golf GTi running on 18s

And I can assure you, the standard Sports suspension on the A3 is like driving on pillows in comparison.

I can only assume that those who have deemed it too hard and deselected it have previously driven Maybachs!

If I had my chance again I would definitely spec the S-Line suspension but Sport is a great compromise between handling and comfort.

Don't believe the bad press!

Reactions: dieseldoug and McAudi
I can only second this! I came to my A3 on sports suspension from a Fiesta S1600 and it's like flying on a cloud in the A3 compared to the skeleton shaking ride in the fiesta at times!

+1

I find the ride and suspension in my S3 to be excellent and just right for uk roads. Far superior to our mk5 golf gti, my z4 and our previous MINI Clubman

Almost all the reviews mention the suspension. They all agree that the standard suspension is the best balance of comfort and handling.

My wife has a very comfortable Mk5 Golf Match on 15 inch tyres. I have firm sports suspension on my Mk6 Golf GTD. It is fine for short journeys on good roads. However, my firm suspension gets tiring at the end of a 12 hour day with over 5 hours driving on bumpy B roads. I just get fed up getting jiggled all the time.

We test drove 2 A3s both on sports suspension. We found them firmer than my car. We also test drove a Mk7 Golf SE. It was a very comfortable car. The comfort was most noticeable when driving over cats eyes. I could have driven the Golf over cats eyes all day. There was very little sensation from the cats eyes felt through the steering or the seat in the cabin. With the A3s sports suspension each cats eye was very noticeable and it soon became uncomfortable.

We collect on Friday. Standard suspension on 16 inch alloys. I just hope the Audi is as comfortable as the Golf SE we drove.

Edit to add: People have to consider the roads they drive on, miles they do and they way they like to drive. But the only way to know which suspension is right for you, is to test drive them.

Last edited:
+2 I am very pleasantly surprised by the standard sports suspension of my S line. I test drove a S line with S line susp and even that wasn't as firm as has been claimed and certainly not as firm as my previous 8P S line. I only didn't spec it because we live in a very rural area with rough roads and I was afraid the extra 10mm lower susp might caused it to bottom out... As it is I love the compromise of the standard sport. Perfect balance between ride and handling.

Just back from a few days in France and the Sports suspension on s-line 18's is a great compromise, firm enough to give you a good "feel" of the surface you are driving on without shaking you to pieces on the rougher sections.

By way of contrast I had a Ford Focus (brand new hire car) on 17's on the same journey a month agao and whilst I was pleasantly surprised by the 1.6 Eco boost engine (even if a little underpowered for the car) the overall ride was so soft and squishy that I felt physically sick whenever I got out of the car after a 2 hour or so stint at the wheel.

I found the sports suspension slightly harder that my Focus with 18" wheels, but not too hard for my taste. However once I had corrected the tyre pressues it was better, they were 4psi up...

I drove a MK 7 Golf 2.0 Tdi SE (16” wheels) back to back with my new A3 SB 1.4 Sport (17” wheels) on SE suspension at the weekend.

In summary I found that the Audi has a better primary ride (ie. over big bumps) and slightly worse secondary ride (ie. over small imperfections).

I found the Golf a little too floaty at times. It seemed to take a little too long to settle after turning the steering wheel or when coming to a stop. It almost felt like kind of side to side movement you get in some tall cars like 4x4s. I also drove a 1.4 TSI Golf in December which felt the same. Over big bumps there was more of a shock and thump from the suspension than I expected but it was very compliant. In summary, it’s good but not as good as I expected over big bumps. This never happened in the 1.4 Golf, so it must be due to the (105kg!) heavier diesel engine. The car certainly feels heavier to drive and the setup does nothing to encourage fun driving through twisty lanes. After all the review I’ve read praising the ride, I was slightly dissappointed.

The A3 feels more tied down, with less roll and pitch which makes it much more fun to drive. On smoother roads the A3’s ride has a slightly harder edge to it which is probably due to the 17” wheels. What I didn’t expect was how good the car is over bigger bumps. You don’t get a thump from the suspension, yet you get the same compliance as in the Golf and as a result the Audi feels much lighter on its feet.

The comparison isn’t exactly a fair one. It’s unfair on the Audi because it has 17” wheels and unfair on the VW because of the heavy diesel engine up front. I’m sure the secondary ride (eg. over cats eyes) on the Audi will be improved with 16” wheels.

For me it’s a win for the Audi, which is good because that’s what I’ve bought! It seems to have the best of both worlds with body control nicely tied down, fun to steer yet it’s nicely compliant over bumps. I wonder how much stiffer the A3’s Sport suspension is? I drove a SB 1.4 S-Line back in December which never felt uncomfortable.

I test drove a 1.4 S Line back in Feb and the ride was smooth. I am not sure what suspension that has though.

Today I test drove a 1.6 TDI S Line with sports suspension. It confirmed my decision re suspension, I am going to deselect the sports and go for SE. Comfort I think rules this decision. I am coming from a MINI Cooper though with sports suspension so anything feels like a magic carpet compared to that!

I know there are a million threads and opinions on this subject but I wanted to start a thread to help prospective buyers make an informed decision.

I have a simple question - if the sports suspension is as comfortable and smooth as some here are trying to make out - then why do Audi have an option to delete it?

I must have read and watched about 20 reviews of the new A3 - if the sport suspension is so smooth and comfortable - why do all the motoring press recommend the standard suspension?

Having test driven the A3 with sport suspension - I know why!

I have a simple question - if the sports suspension is as comfortable and smooth as some here are trying to make out - then why do Audi have an option to delete it?

I must have read and watched about 20 reviews of the new A3 - if the sport suspension is so smooth and comfortable - why do all the motoring press recommend the standard suspension?

simply...... one mans medicine is another mans poison - QED

Because the press get to drive different cars and more of them, thus they have a greater comparison...

Because the press get to drive different cars and more of them, thus they have a greater comparison...

And due to their heavy workload (bad cars, bad roads, bad driving) they perhaps tend to have sour backs? :)

I have only driven the SE suspension 1.6 Tdi (replacement car, for a week), it was truly really great and almost perfect most of the times, however not perfect at high speeds, a bit jumpy when manoeuvring. As I prioritise control and do not have a sour back I chose sports suspension. But it was one of the hardest decions for me when ordering the car, Se or not SE; having read all the (albeit usually louzy) revíews.

Whatever a sour back is and whether motoring journalists have them I don't know. But, like you, I decided I wanted sports suspension as I like my cars to handle properly, stay flat and not have body roll around the twisty bits. Although the A3 makes a good job of this it isn't anywhere near what my Mk3 Focus could do. That car was far more engaging to drive and it responded to input even at the highest speeds and went where I pointed it.
However the overall package of the Audi is far better...

Reactions: GreatBallsofFire
I think it all depends on your age, road surface quality in your area,driving style and your attitude.
Personally with crowded roads,speed cameras,traffic congestion,road works etc were all reduced now to very limited speeds on our roads.Now a days your constantly scanning the road for pot holes,cameras,watching for complete idiots and people who possibly are using our roads that have no idea on the UK rules and regulations in this country.
Therefore I have a much higher desire for comfort to help smooth our crap surfaces on our roads.
commuting is a regular 45/55 MPH Max drive,so I see no advantage for huge performance.
My lower suspension big wheel days are over, as are pushing handling capabilities and testing a cars limits.These days are gone.
Oh yes,I chose SE suspension and 16inch alloys.(just goes to show how much wheels have grown in size,I had a BMW E46 328i not that long ago and it came with 16 inch alloys)
Our roads will never match the billiard board quality of some European roads.You can thank you ignorant /uninterested Gov for that.

Last edited:
Reactions: Daz Auto and GreatBallsofFire
+1 holly

So many people buy cars for the way they want to drive - rather than real roads and way we really drive.

Real UK roads are full of bad repairs, man hole covers and pot holes. Most of my time is spent in traffic - rather than enjoying empty twisty roads.

Reactions: cemerson and Rexus
I have the sports suspension with 19" wheels and find the ride much more comfortable than the A1 with s-line suspension. We did want the s-line suspension but was told it wasn't available with the wheel selection.
Rich

Standard S-line wheels and standard (i.e. Sport) suspension in a 184 with DTUK box so fairly nippy :) Very happy with the ride - although I might like it to be slightly tighter at times (i.e. s-line). I also have a 30 mile, 50mph commute. Whilst most of it is behind traffic doing under the speed limit, I want to be able to enjoy and feel in control of the 3 or 4 lots of 30 seconds where I can push it every day :)

As, being retired, I no longer have to do a day commute I am more interested in the comfort for my 700 mile round trip I will be doing to the Mosel Valley and the the 1500 mile round trip to the Hamburg area I will be doing later this year. I go to Germany on holiday at least once a year, quite often twice.

This is why my 2.0TDI-184 will have the same combination as my existing 170. Standard suspension and 17" alloys. Personally this gives me the best compromise between long distance comfort and good handling through the lanes, especially as my new 8V will be a quattro as well.

Reactions: andy203 and GreatBallsofFire
As, being retired, I no longer have to do a day commute I am more interested in the comfort for my 700 mile round trip I will be doing to the Mosel Valley and the the 1500 mile round trip to the Hamburg area I will be doing later this year. I go to Germany on holiday at least once a year, quite often twice.

This is why my 2.0TDI-184 will have the same combination as my existing 170. Standard suspension and 17" alloys. Personally this gives me the best compromise between long distance comfort and good handling through the lanes, especially as my new 8V will be a quattro as well.

Depends how fast and (possibly furious) you want to drive your car while in Germany? :) Those non-speed limited autobahns are fun, and you have plenty of horse power :eyebrows:

On the other hand, you do mention comfort is prioritized.

Last edited:
Would be interesting to know if like me it is the older generation that have opted for the deselected sports suspension on the Sport/S Line variant's? Suggests a Poll?

I deselected sport suspension, I don't think I'd call myself old! Just realistic :p

Reactions: Daz Auto and andy203
Would be interesting to know if like me it is the older generation that have opted for the deselected sports suspension on the Sport/S Line variant's?
I'm 50..... and have sport suspension on my sline and nearly bought an S3.... Looking at possibly an S6 or biTDI A6 in a year or two.

Depends how fast and (possibly furious) you want to drive your car while in Germany? :) Those non-speed limited autobahns are fun, and you have plenty of horse power :eyebrows:

On the other hand, you do mention comfort is prioritized.

I can assure you, despite my age (66) I still like to drive 'fast'. 130mph on the autobahns and generally a 'little above' the speed limits in the UK both on motorway and some county roads, especially the ones I know very well. I still enjoy this type of driving which is the reasons I wanted a 184 and quattro. My last four A3 have been 170s with the standard suspension and 17" wheels. Also one of the reasons I prefer my TomTom that can be loaded with the PGPSW speed camera database to the Audi Sat/Nav :)

Would be interesting to know if like me it is the older generation that have opted for the deselected sports suspension on the Sport/S Line variant's? Suggests a Poll?

Depends where you think 'older generation' starts. Some of my friends are quite a bit younger than me but don't drive anything like as 'spirited' as me. Younger in age but older as drivers!!

... it was not an age thing... my wife wanted a red Audi, as comfortable and economical as her Mk5 Golf. I knew from my Mk6 Golf that sport suspension would not be comfortable on our roads.

Though I suppose we are old/experienced enough to know the difference.

Edit to add: my wife just read this and says she is a young thing. LOL

I'm coming on 59, so I must still be part of the younger generation then....

I'm 36 and not a boy racer, but the sport suspension is ideal - comfy but you can feel the road in a good way!

I am 41 and have the lowered S-Line suspension on my current 8P Black Edition, however we have decided on the std sports suspension on the new car (picking up in 50 hours time) as dealer said that the 4 he had sold with the additional lowered 10mm have all come back looking to have it raised + our 4 yr old son didn't really appreciate the extra firmer ride.

I'm 50..... and have sport suspension on my sline and nearly bought an S3.... Looking at possibly an S6 or biTDI A6 in a year or two.

I'm approaching 54 and have kept sports suspension selected on my sportback - I will really have to stop reading these threads until the car arrives. I am becoming a nervous wreck..........please stop! :banghead:

Reactions: amped2
I'm approaching 54 and have kept sports suspension selected on my sportback - I will really have to stop reading these threads until the car arrives. I am becoming a nervous wreck..........please stop! :banghead:
What happened to the "I am now in high state of Zen - I have achieved this by deciding not to look at anymore updates on this thread. This has given me a higher level of calmness and I have now entered a almost trancelike state, I will remain like this until my dealer contacts me and confirms that my car is ready for picking up and letting me choose a date when this is suitable for me. I will not chase them or customer services for threads of comfort as to where my car is / was or likely to be."
Obviously the ZEN ran out did it|???????>????

What happened to the "I am now in high state of Zen - I have achieved this by deciding not to look at anymore updates on this thread. This has given me a higher level of calmness and I have now entered a almost trancelike state, I will remain like this until my dealer contacts me and confirms that my car is ready for picking up and letting me choose a date when this is suitable for me. I will not chase them or customer services for threads of comfort as to where my car is / was or likely to be."
Obviously the ZEN ran out did it|???????>????

Unfortunately I am an addict and I am unable to kick the habit - I blame you all. :slapped:

^ short lived zen !!!!

This waiting business really sucks, doesn't it !!! Never been quite so impatient for anything else !!

Now, go back to posting in BW 10,11,12,13 !!!

:lmfao:

^ short lived zen !!!!

This waiting business really sucks, doesn't it !!! Never been quite so impatient for anything else !!

Now, go back to posting in BW 10,11,12,13 !!!

:lmfao:

OK - junkie back on line!

The s line sports suspension is also like a dream for me. Used to have a Mini Cooper s and their sports suspension is a helluva lot harder than audis. People who moan about audis suspension are softies IMHO ;)

Reactions: PilotAudi and Daveotto
*** bump ***

The s line sports suspension is also like a dream for me. Used to have a Mini Cooper s and their sports suspension is a helluva lot harder than audis. People who moan about audis suspension are softies IMHO ;)

... maybe people who complain about Audi suspension have smaller b*****s.

I feel a song coming on... fat bottomed girls, you make the rockin' world go round :)

Last edited:
Reactions: PilotAudi