Supplying own oil for service

Garreth64

Reaction score
I thought there may already be threads on this but having searched I couldn't find any.

Anyway, just called my dealer to arrange an oil service and for me to supply the oil, only to be told that 'we don't do that sir'. I then reminded them that they did exactly that 12 months ago, so off to speak to his manager, and came back with the reply - 'we no longer do that sir as we can't guarantee the quality of the oil'. BS

Have Audi recently changed their policy on this, or is it at the local dealers discretion?

I told them to stuff it and would take my business elsewhere, so need to find somewhere that will do an oil change only now. I'll try a couple more local dealers, but what is the view of using independents? Can they update your service history? Car is still under warranty until Sept 17.

Reactions: pburv
Lol... Audi Stockport without saying me anything they quote me a 2nd year full service inc oil and another providing me the oil... sooo not true what they are saying to you ;)

Reactions: pburv
A quick phone call to Audi UK will tell you what you need to know.:yes:
Clearly your local dealer is trying to:sex: up your rear lol...
As has been said on the forum quite often now....If you use VAG approved parts and have the work done at a vat registered garage you shouldn't have any problems....You need to check with your indy garage whether they can access electronic service record before they work on your car..Failing that make sure you keep all receipts for future reference.:salute:

Reactions: Jassyo06 and KenL
Would be saddened if that is the case. I'm not a fan of the oil any dealer has used on my cars.

I'm a big advocate for Millers Nanotec

Would be saddened if that is the case. I'm not a fan of the oil any dealer has used on my cars.

I'm a big advocate for Millers Nanotec

Tell us more. Why is it good? What evidence do have that it might be better than the likes of Castrol Edge?

Dealers near me won't let me use own oil either.

TX.

Sent from my STV100-4 using Tapatalk

In case there is an engine issue when under warranty, unlikely one hopes, is it worth the risk of giving Audi a get out of jail free card by using, even via a dealer, non approved by Audi oil just to save a few quid? In Audi's eyes oil quality is vitally important. How and why an Audi dealer gets away with non Audi oil is beyond me and leaving themselves vulnerable. Get it done by a non Audi garage yes, but keep the Audi oil/filter etc receipts.

It will probably be only a couple of oil changes and then, after the warranty ends, any good quality oil that meets the specification is good to go.

Audi don't make oil. As long as you use oil that is to the correct spec there can be no get out clause.

We cannot allow them to hold a gun to our heads with regard to warranty.

Reactions: davc
Nor does BMW/Mercedes/GM etc but I bet they impose the same requirements. They may not make it but they test oil and put their name behind their selection.

Audi oil is just re-branded oil.

Open a MINI (BMW?) and there is a MINI recommends Castrol sticker, but you can still buy "MINI" oil.

Tell us more. Why is it good? What evidence do have that it might be better than the likes of Castrol Edge?

When I had an EVo IX MR 360 a few years back it was running on Castrol Edge (or the version about at that point) and the car made 360hp on the dyno as you would expect. After an oil change to Millers Nano it ran 367hp. At first I though meh its just because it was fresh oil. But 6 month later when I went back for another dyno run it ran 366hp. Also during that 6 months I also noticed the engine used almost 50% less oil.

The evo was my daily driver as well as being used for track days

6 months with Castrol - 300ml used 1 track day
6 months with Millerss - 200ml used 3 track days

All this was enough to sway me.

Reactions: Gazwould, pburv and KenL
I told them to stuff it and would take my business elsewhere, so need to find somewhere that will do an oil change only now. I'll try a couple more local dealers, but what is the view of using independents? Can they update your service history? Car is still under warranty until Sept 17.
Yes the right indy CAN update your online records. This is my reply from Audi UK when I asked them about using an indy garage for my second service and if it would have any affect on the warranty. The indy did my oil/filter/pollen filter and inspection for £220 and updated it online. They also gave me a paper service history book with their stamp in it, I then took that book to Audi who did my 1srt service and got them to stamp it as well.

audi-jpg.117763

Reactions: Raul_sbd