Steering wheel care

france71

Reaction score
I'll be getting my new A4 Allroad TFSi in December and something that was a problem on my present car ( A4 B7 avant 3.0tdi) was the steering wheel leather.

The sides of the leather showed micro splits that you can feel when driving - not caused by rings/watches etc as I don't wear them. For the leather interior I always used Autoglym leather cleaner followed by leather protector cream (or whatever it is called) and never had an issue. For the wheel I only ever used the leather cleaner from time to time - I heard that you should not apply the cream on the wheel leather.

The car lives in sunny part of France so clearly the sun is more of a factor than a UK car but saying that the interior seats have never suffered any serious wear.

So just wondering how everyone looks after (or not) the car steering wheel leather. I would prefer to have no issues with the new car.

Thanks in advance.

Thanks for that info. Swissvax certainly have a large gamme of products. At £36 I'll wait and see if anybody else has input on the question before adding this product to my Christmas shopping basket.

I'm a total donkey, I clicked on the swissvax link and missed the Amazon price....

Reactions: scotty76
As I said £18 on amazon.

I'm a total donkey, I clicked on the swissvax link and missed the Amazon price....

What Amazon price???

Amazon

Buy yourself some valet pro leather soap, plus the Swissvax leather brush, cheap at around £20 deliverd from ultimate finish or any other site that sells it

Err the bit where I said :D For the avoidance of further doubt it's here:

Amazon product

(if you have AdBlockers turned on you won't see the link which might be the issue)

I have this kit but it's not really for the leather on the steering wheel as would make it a bit slippery, ideal for the seats

I have this kit but it's not really for the leather on the steering wheel as would make it a bit slippery, ideal for the seats
Is it a replacement for the likes of Gliptone leather conditioner and cleaner, or more of a protective layer before they are needed?

Is it a replacement for the likes of Gliptone leather conditioner and cleaner, or more of a protective layer before they are needed?
It's a protector of the leather but what's really good about it is.
1.its ease of use, apply and let it dry no buffing etc
2.The finish it leaves, as new

It's a protector of the leather but what's really good about it is.
1.its ease of use, apply and let it dry no buffing etc
2.The finish it leaves, as new
OK thanks may invest, prevention is better than cure as they say :)

*Edit* Just looking on Amazon, half the price on there!!! Is it genuine???

Last edited:
Reactions: Jassyo06
OK thanks may invest, prevention is better than cure as they say :)

*Edit* Just looking on Amazon, half the price on there!!! Is it genuine???

It seems so mate,l paid £31 + vat from ultimate finish,you'll love it especially at that price but saying that l probably got it for less with discount and free delivery, but still far more than whats advertised on Amazon,grab whilst you can and report back

It seems so mate,l paid £31 + vat from ultimate finish,you'll love it especially at that price but saying that l probably got it for less with discount and free delivery, but still far more than whats advertised on Amazon,grab whilst you can and report back
I still have a load of Gliptone stuff left...or would it be a case of using:

1) Liquid leather GT12 intensive cleaner (obviously to clean)
2) Liquid leather GT11 leather conditioner (condition!!!)
3) Swissvax leather glaze (to protect)

????? :)

I still have a load of Gliptone stuff left...or would it be a case of using:

1) Liquid leather GT12 intensive cleaner (obviously to clean)
2) Liquid leather GT11 leather conditioner (condition!!!)
3) Swissvax leather glaze (to protect)

????? :)

l use Valet Pro leather soap to clean then add the Swisswax glaze,l dont use any conditioner in conjunction with the glaze mate,l have never used leather conditioner on my seats,l like the ultra matt finish

Reactions: S32B
l use Valet Pro leather soap to clean then add the Swisswax glaze,l dont use any conditioner in conjunction with the glaze mate,l have never used leather conditioner on my seats,l like the ultra matt finish
Made an excuse, I can use what I have for the lounge sofa :p

Swis

Got it today, came in a bag with what looks like all the proper labels etc (at least the German labels say what you'd expect them to lol) and 2 sponges.

Almost got it all over the alcantara!!! I didn't expect it to be like milk, thought it would be a thick cream. Went on easy enough and dries evenly...wait to see now.

Reactions: scotty76 and Jassyo06
Almost got it all over the alcantara!!! I didn't expect it to be like milk, thought it would be a thick cream. Went on easy enough and dries evenly...wait to see now.

Ah yes, glad I watched the man in the video applying it otherwise I would have done the same. :D

One of the easiest products I've applied. Just need to see how it works out now.

Ah yes, glad I watched the man in the video applying it otherwise I would have done the same. :D

One of the easiest products I've applied. Just need to see how it works out now.

I was lucky, it fell on my pants not the seat!

lmao I've just looked down!!! think I need to change/wash them...it looks like another type of stain if anyone comes here to visit! :p

IMG 4996

I have no doubt that the Swissvax stuff is excellent as are all of their products I've ever used.

For leather I am a big fan of LTT leathercare products and their website is excellent. Judy at LTT is a regular contributor on Detailing Word on all matters leather.

I have no doubt that the Swissvax stuff is excellent as are all of their products I've ever used.

For leather I am a big fan of LTT leathercare products and their website is excellent. Judy at LTT is a regular contributor on Detailing Word on all matters leather.

Well........ Hellooooo stranger....lol personally l woudnt put swisswax leather glaze on the steering wheel.....l use something a good bit cheaper,but its almost finished mate so l will have a look at LTTs kit

Reactions: sixlargebeers
hi Jassy - yep it's been a while - just been lurking and enjoying your banter on here chum :)

:tearsofjoy: all good with me Jassy - cheered up by your assessment that my lunar silver will survive better than black leather - will be applying my LTT auto maintain next weekend nonetheless !