Standard S3 8V. Wheel advice 18-19"

nicks260

Reaction score
[photo=medium]6815[/photo][photo=medium]6770[/photo][photo=medium]6778[/photo]

Currently have standard Audi 18" (225/40R.18.Y) Really want to put some 19" on my car. I don't know first thing about it and all these numbers are messing with my head. I've been explained countless times but don't understand so if someone could just tell me what they think that would be great. I'd rather not lower the cars suspension. Ideally, I'd like to close the gap as far as I can between arch and the wheels/tyres as much as I can without it becoming impossible to drive.... I like the look of 19" black wheels with little tyre showing. I'd like the tyre to stick out a bit if possible?? Again, don't know much so any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks :) nick

You want a good set of 19s, design you like
5/112 bold pattern
8.5inch wide, also written as 8.5J,
with offset/ET between 45 to 50,
and you will need 235/35/19 tyres to go with those.
If they don't seem to be sticking out enough then you can add some spacers.
And that will be your best look if you don't want to lower suspension etc.

Quite few wheel threads here for A3 8V wheel fitment that have photos as well as technical info. Check them out.

The difference in comfort between 18's and 19's is quite considerable on stock suspension.

Having ran 19's on mine, I even went as far as changing the dampers to Koni Special Actives to cope with the disgracefully hard ride the 19's bring. It helped, but wasn't enough. This was on standard springs, then on Eibach Pro's. No issues with scraping with the Pro's but you do have to be careful with some kerbs when parking.

I went back to 18's in the end - the 18's with the Koni/Eibach setup is bliss. Granted the 19's looked better and the handling was improved, but I couldn't live with the back breaking ride day in day out. I do live in an area with more speed bumps than not, which probably didn't help, but I won't ever run 19's on a non-Magride A3/S3 again. Theres a reason why Audi didn't offer 19's without Magride.

Only you can tell if you can tolerate the ride or not...so you'll probably have to buy a set of 19's to trial.

In terms of arch gap - as you have an S3, it wont look too bad as it already has a factory drop over standard suspension. but the gap isnt going to change per say as you're only replacing rubber with a tiny amount of wheel.

This is a useful site.

Seriously consider the Eibach Pro's to get it sitting just right. You wont feel any increased harshness other than speedbumps, that initial 'hit'.

19s without lowering make the arch gap stand out too much in my opinion, if you want it to look lowered (slightly) then go for Eibach Sports, Pros dont look lowered much so depends how you want it too look but they will give a OEM + look,
If you go with 19s and 35 profile same as me then shouldnt notice much difference in ride quality over the 18s with a 40 profile ( I had Continentals on the 18s and P zeros on the 19s and there really wasnt much difference at all- I also didnt notice much difference with Eibach sports either on normal roads. then again I avoided anything like pot holes like the plague.
Speed bumps were no issue either with the sportlines and I never hit a kerb with my bumpers etc. if your going with 8.5J width rims dont go under 45 offset as the fronts will poke beyond the arches (assume you have a hatch car)

Some photos on this thread when I ran the 19's with Special Actives and Eibach Pro's..

(I have reverted back to 18's now as the 19's were far to harsh)