Stage 2 Questions

MikeCrum1996

Reaction score
So I’m looking to go stage 2 in the next month or so just have a few questions..
Would the stock side mount inter cooler be okay for stage 2 if so what results would I see?
Also if I go stage 2 now with a smic and then I upgrade to a FMIC would I need a remap again? Or would my car adapt?
Would the stock clutch be okay for now? I’m looking to upgrade to vr6 clutch with solid flywheel but not until my clutch starts slipping.

Current mods:
- Oversized Tip
- 3Inch Decat on standard exhaust
- Forge 007p ( yellow spring)
- updated dog bone mount
- n249 bypass

Can’t think of anymore of the top of my head
My goals are 230bhp / 270 ftlbs
Are these realistic or not?
1.8t Aum

Any help appreciated.

Waste of money going for a stage 2 map with a smic and then fitting a fmic you will be paying to map the car twice! Why not get the fmic done 1st ?

Looks like I’ll get fmic first then lol,, just wanted to see what people’s opinions were.
So you guys think after I get fmic it will be ready for stage 2?

AIR, FUEL, FIRE, TIMING

simples

Reactions: Tj 0785
AIR, FUEL, FIRE, TIMING

simples
I gotta say something about that thread and I'm not being funny to you, don't think I am,
First thing, sack of the stock airbox...why? No need and adds cost. And this
Modifications list for a "stage 2" A3 -

5.) Coilovers.
6.) Fast Road brake pads.
7.) N249 bypass and PCV delete.
8.) Front Mount Intercooler.
9.) VR6 clutch and ABF Flywheel.
10.) Rear ARB kit.
11.) Polybushed suspension arms and "dogbone" mount.
12.) S3/LCR Steering rack.
13.) Front ARB (at the same time as the rack)
14.) SAI delete (for AUM cars)
15.) Downpipe and decat or sports cat
16.) Exhaust.
17.) REMAP AGAIN!!!!!
What is that because you don't need most of it. To me it looks like a wish list made up by the op of that thread.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

So you guys think after I get fmic it will be ready for stage 2?[/QUOTE]

With the modifications you have already and FMIC yes you will be ready for stage 2. If money/time permits you should look into a complete exhaust system and think about replacing the clutch. It will probably starting slipping immediately after the remap especially if it is old and on its last legs. So maybe you should think about replacing it before the remap for a piece of mind as it is inevitable that it is going to need changing.

I gotta say something about that thread and I'm not being funny to you, don't think I am,
First thing, sack of the stock airbox...why? No need and adds cost. And this
Modifications list for a "stage 2" A3 -

5.) Coilovers.
6.) Fast Road brake pads.
7.) N249 bypass and PCV delete.
8.) Front Mount Intercooler.
9.) VR6 clutch and ABF Flywheel.
10.) Rear ARB kit.
11.) Polybushed suspension arms and "dogbone" mount.
12.) S3/LCR Steering rack.
13.) Front ARB (at the same time as the rack)
14.) SAI delete (for AUM cars)
15.) Downpipe and decat or sports cat
16.) Exhaust.
17.) REMAP AGAIN!!!!!
What is that because you don't need most of it. To me it looks like a wish list made up by the op of that thread.

Because the stock airbox is a limitation on all platforms, A3, S3, golf etc.

The thread is an opinion of the OP who had played around with an A3 for years exploring pretty much every option at that time.
The stage 2 engine modifications listed did/still do/always will stand. If you read the thread properly the additional non engine modifications are to take the whole car to what the OP would consider ‘stage 2’, modifications considered worthwhile beyond that of the basics.

Because the stock airbox is a limitation on all platforms, A3, S3, golf etc.

The thread is an opinion of the OP who had played around with an A3 for years exploring pretty much every option at that time.
The stage 2 engine modifications listed did/still do/always will stand. If you read the thread properly the additional non engine modifications are to take the whole car to what the OP would consider ‘stage 2’, modifications considered worthwhile beyond that of the basics.
Ask tuners about stock air box. Nothing wrong with it.

badger wagon has one fitted, what's that pushing again?

aa4f12319c891ec487284c7254b6faec.jpg

96ec6eb3f0056b798e69f50ecbe23133.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: xDaNx, GeorgieS3 and SamHendry
aa4f12319c891ec487284c7254b6faec.jpg

96ec6eb3f0056b798e69f50ecbe23133.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Oh OK but I'm sure I read somewhere he ran it with it at some point, maybe the lupo I don't know sorry. you like pictures?? I like pictures too. Here's some big turbo builds running stock box. Tbh I don't know why I did comment because the argument about CAI v's stock setup is pointless especially concerning stage 2 ko3/4 because neither can put out 400hp and out flow the stock box.
90e923301261d81016cc0dc890e2a481.jpg
7b1208c0a0e258733a067639b6b53f98.jpg
9d9b8ea50be321c6a0c647754c61ffd8.jpg

Absolutely this. Anyone who only thinks about upping the power without the relevant chassis/handling mods to compliment it clearly doesn't have the common sense I'd like to expect from folk driving a more powerful car.

stock air box has too small an inlet into it which is why its restrictive on power... wak box mod helps get over this as a panel like a green cotton one will flow decent numbers or what I did was remove the 'trumpet' and open the inlet to take a 4" CAI hose...
20091001_CRW_3791.jpg

20091001_CRW_3804.jpg

Nowadays my airbox is purely for show :)

28161361 10156263854699874 9149211310897530673 o

<tuffty/>

From what I understand from real world driving on a ko3/4 fitting a cone will reduce punch low down compered to stock box setup. Will rev and flow better up top with a cone yes but in the real world most people don't drive at 5/6k and the missing low down punch IMO would surely be missed.

why would a car with forced induction suffer from having an open cone on low down torque, especially when a silicon TIP improves torque? there is no back pressure or vacuum restriction impacting these turbo charged cars is there?

why would a car with forced induction suffer from having an open cone on low down torque, especially when a silicon TIP improves torque? there is no back pressure or vacuum restriction impacting these turbo charged cars is there?
Your almost always going to hurt low down torque at low rpm to gain at high rpm.
Low rpm I mean normal driving of 2-4k because most "normal" people don't drive at 6k. Some torque curves on maps I've seen just don't have that punch low down to gain high end...sacrifice daily driving for ragability imo. Having 250lb/ft at 3/3.5k again only in my opinion is better than waiting till 5.5/6k and having to drive it hard and still no punch/feeling you actually have a turbo charged car. If you want big boost/big torque/big rpm...go big turbo and depending on the setup you find a car that's pretty useless under 3k, but if you have gone BT or intend to then you know what's what.

not going to hurt torque from opening the flow into and out of the turbo... fitting intake and exhaust/DP almost always improves things across the board... changing the charge pipe/inlet mani/ports on head have a greater chance of affecting torque low down...

If the compressor has less resistance to pull air against and the turbine less resistance to push exhaust out against the turbo will spool sooner... this has been proven on the dyno...

<tuffty/>

Reactions: andrew_wright and Stuart B
Ask tuners about stock air box. Nothing wrong with it.

I AM a TUNER.. and compared to the open cone JR/BMC filters we make airflow and power gains over and above a std airbox, even one with free flow pane4l filter and peppered with holes.. 5-7 bhp gains on a stage 2 level of tune on k04, 19bhp gains including 80mm TIP.

Reactions: Tj 0785 and SamHendry
Oh OK but I'm sure I read somewhere he ran it with it at some point, maybe the lupo I don't know sorry. you like pictures?? I like pictures too. Here's some big turbo builds running stock box. Tbh I don't know why I did comment because the argument about CAI v's stock setup is pointless especially concerning stage 2 ko3/4 because neither can put out 400hp and out flow the stock box.
90e923301261d81016cc0dc890e2a481.jpg
7b1208c0a0e258733a067639b6b53f98.jpg
9d9b8ea50be321c6a0c647754c61ffd8.jpg

if you are going to quote me as a reference get it right... Not too much to ask.
Lupo has NEVER run a std airbox.
My ibiza did when new.. back in 2001.. lol.. Ditched many many years ago for Dynatwist .. Runs huge 4" filter these days..
Just "because" some "tuners" run with an airbox does'nt make it the best power method for filtration. It simply is'nt. Its adequate for std cars, 210bhp, those with more power will benefit from free flow intakes.. and thats not what the oe airbox does, less so as power climbs.

Reactions: SamHendry and Sandra
I AM a TUNER.. and compared to the open cone JR/BMC filters we make airflow and power gains over and above a std airbox, even one with free flow pane4l filter and peppered with holes.. 5-7 bhp gains on a stage 2 level of tune on k04, 19bhp gains including 80mm TIP.
You don't need to cap locks me mate, calling me a d!ck would of been a better response
if you are going to quote me as a reference get it right... Not too much to ask.
Lupo has NEVER run a std airbox.
My ibiza did when new.. back in 2001.. lol.. Ditched many many years ago for Dynatwist .. Runs huge 4" filter these days..
Just "because" some "tuners" run with an airbox does'nt make it the best power method for filtration. It simply is'nt. Its adequate for std cars, 210bhp, those with more power will benefit from free flow intakes.. and thats not what the oe airbox does, less so as power climbs.
I questioned myself because some guy posted a pic up that's followed you for years and years and really should of known it ran a stock box once upon a time, should never of questioned myself lol but I did...more fool me.
What was the output of the ibiza when you deicide to sack of the stock air box again? And why did you even run it in the first place if a cone is better?

Best of both world's lol.
040b2b9569b12df27e9f25451ee29ed7.jpg