Stage 1 VS Stage 2 and losing BHP and Torque

DAZMC

Reaction score
Hi i am looking to find out who has actually lost power going from stage 1 to stage 2 and what peoples thoughts are on stage 2 waste of money or not ?

Thanks

well i think i did, but then apparently it as the dyno and i had the car re-tuned and it made about the same it used to make with increased torque...

well i think i did, but then apparently it as the dyno and i had the car re-tuned and it made about the same it used to make with increased torque...

What figures did the APR dyno put out for the most recent stage 2? And which apr dealer was it ??

Thanks

I know Dan did on beta files, which I believe fixed now. I know of 1 in Aust too. Trouble is many don't bother to have dyno done at each stage and very few are on stage 2 at this point of time.

There is only minimal gains in peak numbers stage 2 over stage 1. If you're just chasing number against cost just do stage 1, panel filter and modify stock intake. That's clearly best bang for buck.

Stage 2 with intake and eith DP or full exhaust will get you gains across the board, better response as turbo spool earlier so high torque from just over 2000rpm compared to say 2600 on stage 1. You will also get nice induction sound from intake and better, deeper and louder exhaust note.

If you're happy with stage 1 and not interested in spending lots more, don;t do it. If you have come from having stage 2/3 cars in past and want more of that again you will go that way.

There must be decent gains with recent 1/4 mile times of stage 2 down to 11.5 and most stage 1 11.9-12.1. Thats significant difference.

Reactions: Rob2k68
^^ That's good advice.

Think I'm sticking with stage 1 and looking at a TCU tune next or maybe Eibach anti-roll bars and some slotted rotors.

What figures did the APR dyno put out for the most recent stage 2? And which apr dealer was it ??

Thanks

I didn't save them :s
There were about 20 pulls on the dyno, one of them surpassed stage 2 by a large amount but was suffering with surge so it had to be tapered down a little.
I all I know is that it was faster when I drove away then when I drove it in!

Stage 2 really isn't worth it, consider it a stepping stone for a hybrid turbo.
Unless of course new tunes come out that differ dramatically to what is out now.

Reactions: Rob2k68
So are we saying best bang for buck is stage 1 tune with intake?

Defintitley stage 1 tune. Then panel filter, remove snow grate and cut open direct path into intake. Will get same results as upgraded intake at 1/5 of price. That's the cheapest way to get best performance for $.

Based on stage 1 bringing 70bhp, and intake 12bhp and stage 2 maybe 20 costs are :-

Stage 1 £7.85/Bhp
Intake £24/Bhp
Stage 2 £52.50/Bhp or £72/Bhp with I/C.

Coming from an mk6 R APR stage 2+ I need a little more from the S3 but not wanting to spend thousands on this one was looking for the sensible money wise option

Thanks mate. Any links to modding the oem intake/grill?

Reactions: D1309
Haven't had an EA888 mk3 myself yet but the advertised figures I see just confirm my experience on other TSI engines: Stage 1 is by far the best bang for buck. Great, noticeable gains with little cost that take the car to the next level performance wise. It's one of the strongest selling points of the 2.0 TFSI in my eyes. Stage 2 costs big money and only ends up in minor improvements over a specific rev range which may not even be noticeable unless pushing hard up to the limiter. Not to mention the introduced noise of lesser exhaust systems when flooring it. If you don't want that then you really have to pay silly money for a complete turbo-back system for the same gains. Unless you can only upgrade the downpipe for a reasonable amount of money I would stay away from it. I've learned my lesson and it's either going to be stage 1 or If I want to go silly power at some point it's a proper BT setup. Going stage 2 on the 1.4 TSI was the worst money I've ever spent, don't even feel the difference almost and my highway cruising is pretty much ruined.