Stage 1 and Exhaust recommendations

mango2.0T

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Could use some guidance if anyone is willing. I'm looking to get a stage 1 remap for my 2.0TFSI Quattro A3. I've heard good things about AMD tuning, REVO and APR from some of the veterans here on ASN. I'd love to hear from anyone who has personally experienced any of these remaps.

I'm also considering getting an exhaust at the same time. I've looked into exhausts generally (I don't know a whole lot about them) and think that for what I'm going for a Cat Back exhaust from one of the reputable companies like Milltek or Scorpion might be good. Looking for a quiet drone but something that sounds a lot meatier when I choose to boot it. I have heard of other companies but haven't seen as much praise for them as the these two. Also a big incentive is that AMD is currently offering a 50% remap when bought with either one of these brands of exhausts! Any advice from anyone whos had an exhaust on, I'd appreciate it.

Cheers all

On the remap side of things...perhaps to add to the options...
1. Where are you in the Country?
2. If answer to 1 is not too far from Hinkley Leicestershire pop R-tech into the search box. If answer to 1 is not too far from Stockport pop Unicorn into the search box.

Reactions: S3 AEX
I'm in the Bedfordshire area so not too far away from R-Tech. One of my mates mentioned them to me as well so will give them a look. Cheers.

On the subject of the exhaust I would recommend Milltek. I have a cat back non res exhaust on mine and its really nice. Quiet when you're driving normally or cruising on the motorway but makes a really nice noise when you give it some welly!

Definitely putting another Milltek on my next car!

With regards to the remap I have a Revo Stage 1 map and it's great! It all depends on who is giving you the best deal though and who is local to you should you need it tweaked for future modifications.

I started with a Milltek on mine,from AMDTuning,with a Revo Stg1 map.

I've had no issues with the exhaust at all,and the service and backup from AMD over the years has been excellent.

Reactions: Veedubnoodle
Cheers guys, this is confirming a lot of what I heard about Milltek! Seems like a good place to start. Revo also seems like a good bet but I will fish around for some bargains :)

Reactions: Veedubnoodle
If your in Bedshordshire and after Revo and Milltek TTS Roadsports (based in Kempston, Bedford) are dealers for both and will price match so long as you can prove it. Give Dave a call, might be worth a shot.

Errrr ... Exhaust there's only one option ... And it's not Milltek ...

The thing is...
There are a number of options now from BCS,Scorpion,Milltek,Nortech and a few others.

All are decent systems and all have their users.

I was very content with the Milltek,a good bit of which (mid section and back box) are still on my car now.
Even when the back box seam cracked after about 4yrs,they replaced it with no questions.

I think a lot now is individual choice.

I have a BCS Powervalve system myself. Fantastic piece of engineering but not cheap. Miltek would be ok as well, although I am unsure of where they currently sit with regards to quality. I do remember they took a dive here when they moved manufacturing, but they may well be back up again im not sure.

Im using Revo software. Cant say ive ever had a problem with it. However I believe that they have not developed the software in quite a while, wheras APR have. I dont have an opinion on AMD.

Reactions: mango2.0T and S3Alex
I have a BCS Powervalve system myself. Fantastic piece of engineering but not cheap. Miltek would be ok as well, although I am unsure of where they currently sit with regards to quality. I do remember they took a dive here when they moved manufacturing, but they may well be back up again im not sure.

Im using Revo software. Cant say ive ever had a problem with it. However I believe that they have not developed the software in quite a while, wheras APR have. I dont have an opinion on AMD.

Looking at the quality of the current back box I would say it's back to where it should have been.

Revo....I was a long term customer and had no real complaints other than that development appeared to stop about 4 yrs ago at least as far as the Stg3 and 4 maps went.

APR and some of the custom mappers such as Rick have kept going and bringing new products on stream.

Reactions: mango2.0T and s3_trev
Hard to beat a quality custom map. I would say I will end up getting one at some stage!

Reactions: S3Alex
Hard to beat a quality custom map. I would say I will end up getting one at some stage!

I can't exactly say that what I've got is a custom map but I can see the benefits of going the custom route.

Tough choice to go apr or let amd go at it see what they can do

Hey guys thanks for all the input. I'll be in touch with AMD as it isn't that far away from me and have some exhausts on offer. Will consider the development gap between Revo and APR as well. AMD are stating their tuning would give me +60bhp. Is that really realistic from an ECU remap?

I wouldn't overly concern yourself with chasing 60. Thats only at peak anyway. A good map will make a world of difference.
I got 50bhp and 75 torques on my (non Quattro) 2.0T from R-tech this month. Power feels linear and is very usable. They toned down the torques a bit to help prevent clutch slip. I only had the ECU map.

Reactions: mango2.0T
If your in Bedshordshire and after Revo and Milltek TTS Roadsports (based in Kempston, Bedford) are dealers for both and will price match so long as you can prove it. Give Dave a call, might be worth a shot.

Oh sweet, sounds good. That's even closer than AMD!

I wouldn't overly concern yourself with chasing 60. Thats only at peak anyway. A good map will make a world of difference.
I got 50bhp and 75 torques on my (non Quattro) 2.0T from R-tech this month. Power feels linear and is very usable. They toned down the torques a bit to help prevent clutch slip. I only had the ECU map.

Awesome. I would be over the moon with ~50. I'd probably be looking for something sensible in terms of torque. Still got to be my daily driver for now!

A 60hp increase is certainly achievable with an exhaust and good map but I'd say realistically you're looking at a 50hp increase.

Run it on super unleaded if you can. It does help a lot! I even get better MPG on super! :)

Reactions: mango2.0T
Moving onto exhausts. Just dont put BCS exhausts as I did last night. It may cost you some money!

Ooo they sound good! I'm neither made of money or am very knowledgeable about this currently so I'll probably stick to tried and true, reasonably priced...for now ;)