Squeaking / Creaking bucket seats – FIX

DeanTTaylor

Reaction score
Hi,

Ever since I bought my new S3 I have had an annoying squeak / creaking noise in the drivers bucket seat. I noticed it would only appear whenever the seat height is fully down or most of the way down. It was most apparent when you were moving your body weight around in the seat (like when taking a fast corner or round about).

I had Audi look at it a few times, they just lube up the seat rails and the noise remained. I decided to have a look for myself over the weekend. I found that when you are in the seat two pieces of metal touch, one of these pieces of metal has the plastic side trim of the seat attached to it. When you move your weight in the seat it slightly moves the side trim, which causes this piece of meal to rub against the seat bracket, causing the noise.

So with the seat lifted up to full height, I put a squirt of lithium grease on my finger and wiped it over the point where the two pieces of metal touch. Haven’t had any noises since!

Here are some pics that show the point where the metal rubs, you can even see a wear patch.

Put some fabric tape in there, this will sort it for good.

So annoying mine do this 2,thought it was just mine as I'm not the smallest of people will try this.

My passenger seat does this when people who weigh over 13stone sit in it and have been waiting for my next service to get it sorted it is very annoying indeed.

not sure its something audi would sort although ive had much cheaper cars with seats in that dont rattle and squeek as soon as anyone that isnt built like side of a fiver sits in so suppose it is a quality issue on there part.

Thanks for this post.

My drivers seat has just started to do this in the last couple of months. It's so annoying.

I've also got something loose, a nut or stone maybe, within the passenger seat. (Thats were it sounds like its coming from). So everytime i go round a corner, accelerate or brake, this items rolls along.

Does anyone know how to get the rear panels off the Recaro buckets seats?

Cheers

AL

One of mine has developed an annoying metallic rattle/buzzing noise,which is almost certainly a nut(!) or something else in one of the runner tracks,but I'm damned if I can find it,and it's really annoying.

Anyway...it's going to get cured shortly with a new set of Tillett seats.

Hi DeanTTaylor,

Would by any chance still have the photos? i've just found this post, and the photos seem to be gone :(

Hi DeanTTaylor,

Would by any chance still have the photos? i've just found this post, and the photos seem to be gone :(