Spacers and bolt sizes

stevewushu

Reaction score
I've got 12mm spacers for my S3. Would these be best fitted to the rear or front? And if rear, what size for fronts?
I can't try them yet coz I don't have extended bolts!
So what size bolts do i need? I know they'll need to be 45mm threads but are they M14x1.5?

it can also depend on what ET your wheels are? do you have different wheels to standard? As on mine they have a higher ET and so I might need to go as far as 15-20mm on the rears... haven't had a play yet though.

I see. Yes I have RS4 reps. I fitted the standard bolts from the original 17" alloys and the thread goes into the hub approx 15mm. The spacers are 12mm so I'm assuming I need 15mm + 30mm (the total thread length) = 45mm.
But are they M14? Bolts?

also worth noting that you need to make sure you have the correct heads on the bolts too.

your OEM 17'' S3 wheels will have a radiused bolt seat, your RS4 reps will almost certainly have a 60 degree tapered seat, so chances are you're actually running the wrong bolts at the moment, which isn't great news!

Generaly speaking, factory fit wheels will have Radius seats, and aftermarket wheels (including reps of OEM) will have taper seats. Make sure you get this right, as it's pretty important!
Sadly, there are HUNDREDS of people rolling around with the wrong bolts in their aftermarket wheels.

Thanks for the info guys!
And the bolt head type, damn I never knew! Gonna look into this ASAP!

Recommendation of company to purchase correct bolts?

I've only got 1 set of 12mm spacers for the rears, so will need the 14x1.5x40mm bolts with 60' taper seat.
If I'm using 12mm on the rear, should I use the same pacers on front? Or thinner?