So...... Its October 1st

ESD1711

Reaction score
Who's all binned their tax discs?!?

Anyone for a ceremonial ASN tax disc burning gathering?!

Reactions: voorhees and Charlie23
Because I am sad, I have kept them all since i had the car in Feb 2003. Might put an old one in :p
Dave

Reactions: Andy Crooks
You have got to love these morons in charge,they say they are not making any extra money from this,wtf would you do this then !?

Quote from moneysavingexpert
  • From 1 Nov you can pay monthly - but it'll cost more. The ways to pay change on 1 Nov. You'll have the option of paying by direct debit annually (in which case the cost remains the same) or on a six-monthly or monthly basis (in which case there's a 5% surcharge). Or if you prefer, you can pay a flat fee for just one year or six months (if the latter, there's a 5% surcharge, down from the current 10%). Payments can be made viaGov.uk from Wed 1 Oct, or at the Post Office from Sun 5 Oct.
  • Road tax is no longer transferable. If you sell your car, the buyer will need to buy new road tax for it even if the existing tax hasn't expired. You'll get an automatic refund from the DVLA for any remaining full months of road tax (although if you paid in monthly or six-monthly instalments, you won't receive a refund on the 5% surcharge).

So you can remove your valid disc that you bought 3 months ago ?

Reactions: Andy Crooks
Any bets on how many car buyers will get caught out driving without tax?

You have got to love these morons in charge,they say they are not making any extra money from this,wtf would you do this then !?

Quote from moneysavingexpert
  • From 1 Nov you can pay monthly - but it'll cost more. The ways to pay change on 1 Nov. You'll have the option of paying by direct debit annually (in which case the cost remains the same) or on a six-monthly or monthly basis (in which case there's a 5% surcharge). Or if you prefer, you can pay a flat fee for just one year or six months (if the latter, there's a 5% surcharge, down from the current 10%). Payments can be made viaGov.uk from Wed 1 Oct, or at the Post Office from Sun 5 Oct.
  • Road tax is no longer transferable. If you sell your car, the buyer will need to buy new road tax for it even if the existing tax hasn't expired. You'll get an automatic refund from the DVLA for any remaining full months of road tax (although if you paid in monthly or six-monthly instalments, you won't receive a refund on the 5% surcharge).

Jokers.

Anyone know what they doing with profit from going paperless plus the above?

Dave

Any bets on how many car buyers will get caught out driving without tax?

Lots!

Wonder why they did that, used to be a selling point of a motor if you didn't need to mess about with sorting tax.

Why do they only refund complete months, surely the system can work out days ;)

Dave

I forgot about the new rules and am about to replace the car, so will have first hand experience of having to sort this out on my phone. I assume you cant drive the car until you paid the tax after completing the purchase? Anyway, I'm sure it'll be a right pain in the behind.

I wonder how well that refund is going to work. Having first hand experience with government IT projects, I will not be holding my breath for that one.

Would imagine the refund will be a cheque also as they won't have account details. Another profit scheme when people don't pay it in as no one uses cheques anymore!
Dave

Yeah or them sending it to the wrong address, hate how insurance does this too how hard is it for them to do a ****** bank transfer.