Snub mount for a4!!!

so back to the subject matter, been out for most of the day in the old bus and there is most certainly no difference to my petrol avant, and the vibrations are really annoying me now, so its coming off in the next hour after I've finished my cuppa, like I said before ,it may be great and a wonder mod for others and that's great for them, for me a pointless exercise as nothing gained at all.
so good luck to everyone else with there bungs.

you are welcome chap and don't let me put you off swapping over your mount to the rubber flavour, give it a go and see what it does for you , i'm just reporting back on my experience of it , and like they what works for one may not work for another.
good luck.

can I ask a question

I have a 2006 a4 avant 3.0 v6 tdi trip tronic.

I have a green poly snub and a normal audi snub mount waiting to go on but I dunno what to fit from reading all this

Only you can answer that, since you got both mate, I'd try them out both and stick with the best one.

Yeah true I see your point. I got many things to do on my tractor need to pick a day or week

Mate just because your a audi technician that doesn't mean **** to me, if anything it's laughable, you all think you know best, the last 2 technicians I spoke to didn't know there elbow from their ********.

One tried telling me that the charcoal canister carried fuel to the engine on the 1.8t 20v and the other one argued to the bone that the tfsi engine doesn't Suffer from cam follower wear, so as you can see, clearly don't know what they are talking about.

In terms if how the snub mount has affected my car! I had no idea you had drove my car before and after the mount was fitted, really must check that I lock the front door at night.

dani, you need to chillout chap, now go and get a long cool drink and chill for a bit.....lifes to short .

Reactions: Dani_B19
Well sorry to hear the mounts been a waste of time in your setup rob. It's a shame that it's given should harsh vibrations into the cabin on idle.

The vibrations into my cabin are minimal. As you have said, with the car been an SE model it may help that it has softer suspension so absorbs some of the excess vibrations and this is why the handling could be noticeably better as the mount takes up the slack of the tired stock suspension where as yours is newer and has the firmer ride quality of the sline.

dani, you need to chillout chap, now go and get a long cool drink and chill for a bit.....lifes to short .
I'm fine mate, it just winds me up when you get some one who comes along and thinks they know best just due to their job title, I get it all day at work, I have to deal with trades who believe they are qualified and competent yet struggle with the basic fundamentals of their own trade but yet can recite a brochure word for word but have no idea how to implement it into real life.

I agree with Rob here Dani but also fully understand how you feeling, don't let it get to you. Enjoy the rest of your evening pal.

can I ask a question

I have a 2006 a4 avant 3.0 v6 tdi trip tronic.

I have a green poly snub and a normal audi snub mount waiting to go on but I dunno what to fit from reading all this
I agree with Nozrul here, it'll be trial and error, I know Carl has a poly mount on his 2.0tdi, I think it's Apr and he's looking to change it as the mounts been eaten away by the bracket.

For what it takes, try both and see which you prefer.

Guys, quick question... To undo the 6mm hex bolts I need to turn anti clockwise don't I? I tried this afternoon but it's not budging either way so wondering if it's seized or anything?

they are normal thread chap, and will be anti-clockwise to undo them, looking straight at the head of the bolt then turn backwards (anti clock), don't break them off thought as you'll be regretting it, take care.

Just replaced the snub mount though the existing foam one is in very good condition. Will test later on.

Reactions: Charlie Farley and Dani_B19
status report captain.......an no fibs either.....good , bad or undecided.

Well I drove for a brief moment, on dual carriageway and residential roads with lots of turnings etc.
I am not technically minded and did try my utmost to see if there was any additional vibration and I can safely say, there were none!
The car felt more tighter and solid.
Overall I am extremely happy, if the rubber is meant to get better by time then I look forward to that.
Thank God for that because I was worried might have to revert back to foam - phew!!

Reactions: Dani_B19, Gazwould and Charlie Farley
that's good that yours is ok nozrul, It must be my old bus that is a bit fussy then, maybe the lowered and uprated suspension is a factor , anyway glad your happy with it chap.

Well never one to be beaten by a bit of high impact rubber, I have a cunning plan and will put that plan into practise tomorrow.....you never know it may just work.

I have a mad idea dani, involving rubber and heavyduty waterproof grease.......

haha I think robs mixing up AS.net with swingers uk again.

Reactions: carlcall
oh er ......

nope , nothing weird i'm afraid this time, but all will become clearer tomorrow....

Well had a bit of time too spare today so went into plan 1B , refit the rubber bung with something extra and lt looks like my plan has been successful .
As many will know I wasn't 100% convinced with the A6 bung upgrade and that it was'nt really worth it and indeed the first fitting / trial didn't go aswell as I was expecting and I had to removed it very soon after fitting, not too be beaten by a bit of rubber I had a good old think on how best to refit it and get better results 2nd time around so here is you go.
What did I do that made such a big difference, well very simple, I greased the the bush inside and out and also packed the frount mounting section with grease and It has made a massive improvement frankly.
I was thinking about how the bush really works and what can be done to help it work better, the answer is lubrication and not oil or sprays.
As the bush is pretty rigid and doesn't allow very much movement in any axial plane it does however allow vibrations etc to be transmited through the unit as a whole, also the very snug fitting of it will also facilitate faster wearing of the rubber due to the nature of the bush and how its works when driving.
Therefore by adding a long term lubricant such as heavy duty waterproof grease into the bush and mounting assembly it keeps the bush more mobile and helps reduce any virbations that are generated and being transmitted through and by the bush/mount assembly.
The thick packing of grease lubricates and acts as a damper both at the same time.
I have been out in it for a few drives which I know will show up any nastys etc and all is fine thus far, I am hoping the grease packing will not need checking for sometime let alone repacking , i'll check it annually just for my own reference.
I used this to pack the bush.
Oil1

Anyway, works for me now so it was worth doing a second time.
rob

Reactions: Nozrul Islam, Dani_B19, carlcall and 1 other person
So what's your views on any improvements, yay or nay?

i'm off to somerset tomorrow for a day out so plenty of road time to make a full evaluation of the rubber bung fitment, thus far there is mostly a noticeble reduction of "dip and lift " when braking and excellerating , which is good but only longer behind the wheel and over differing road conditions will other improvement make themselves obvious, not sure if I will notice any other real changes in handling but the changes I have seen are good.

I wanna ask a stupid question but what issues would a worn snub mount bush cause ?

Well a few days into the refitted rubber bung and all seems to be ok with nothing untowards to report ,the grease method does appear to be very good , just need to see what the time frame is going to be before a repack will be needed.

have a good one chaps.

Well after you lot fitting your rubber mount I thought it only right to fit mine....especially after it sitting on my desk for I don't know how many months.

My poly one seems to have worn a little....not excessively and it's not due to the vibrations of the oil burner. I basically looks like it's been compressed a little under hard acceleration, partly on the top outer edge of it where it hits the top of the bracket on the chassis and on the inner edge where the engine bracket pushes up. It's hard to explain and I can't get a picture to show it as I need three hands.

Anyway back to the rubber mount....big thanks to @Gazwould for posting about this type of bush in an old thread I found and I'm glad I had a hydraulic press to remove the poly one off the bracket. As for getting the new rubber one on I warmed it up for a minute or two in some boiling water and applied a little silicone grease to the engine bracket to help it slip into the hole a little easier, I then smeared a little around the outside edge and front of the bush in case it was a little tight but that just slipped straight into place also.

Started the engine and not one vibration was felt in the can, in fact if it wasn't for the engine noise I would've thought it wasn't running at all.

But I am so glad I eventually got it done.....so smooth when pulling out of a junction or just pulling away from a stand still and talk about smooth when you put your foot down hard now....you can feel the bush taking the load gradually instead of all at once.

lubrication of the bush does make a massive difference carl...so you're a happy bunny now then...

Just been out to check fluids on the car and I noticed that the rubber mount has split on the engine side......it looks like I'm looking for another replacement as it just hasn't held up at all due to the torque I think.

I may try the old OEM type one or I may try a Powerflex one that looks the same hardness as one I put on the Mrs' gearbox mount on her Focus. You can very slightly feel it on idle but once you're moving it becomes nice and smooth. I've always found Powerflex to be softer than other manufacturers poly bushes.

https://www.powerflex.co.uk/road-series/product-details/Engine+Snub+Nose+Mount/12378.html

resize_image.php