Show us ya oil coolers!

VAG-Slag

Reaction score
Berkshire, Surry, Hampshire tri-intersect
I picked up a 16 row Greddy oil cooler for next to nothing, obviously going to plump it in with thermostatic sandwich plate and that but where have you guys mounted your coolers?

Only thing is I understand most others are using a mocal 16 row cooler which is 124mm high where as this is 210... Which will obviously be good for heat transfer but may mean I struggle to find some space for it!

I've got a 13 row which is going behind the upper grill above the fmic. Same as where Westy fitted his.
Ive had it well over 2 years just never got round to it but I will do sometime this year

Yea, i've seen a few like that but they all look like pretty short coolers, I'm not sure mine will fit there... Also, I'm sure I recall someone (possibly Bill?) saying that there's no point in anything smaller than a 16 row cooler? . .

This is mine (16 row Mocal), on a Cupra R (I have aerocatches though...the stock bonnet catch would interfere if it was there). Places it perfectly central in the top grille

2014 12 14 123052

2014 12 14 132753

2014 12 14 132737

Last edited:
No chance. You might get 50mm or so more if you mounted it at an angle, but not 90mm.

Is there space in the wing where the SMIC normally sits? Would seem to be a fairly logical place to have an external cooler to me if you cant mount it front and centre. Other option would be to sell it on and use the funds to buy something that's not as tall I suppose.

I'm currently looking at getting an oil cooler.
I am going to use this thermostat http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/231475966166?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT (unless people have horrible things to say about it) so now I just need a sandwich plate.

Does anyone know if this one will fit? It comes with the correct thread but I think it might be too small for the oil filter?
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/321362797677?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Save your self the cash and engine bay space and just go for a thermostatic sandwich place like this one:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mocal-Oil...005&rk=3&rkt=6&mehot=lo&sd=371081454390&rt=nc

I'd have to double check that M20 is correct though, perhaps someone here can confirm...

Last edited:
Is there space in the wing where the SMIC normally sits? Would seem to be a fairly logical place to have an external cooler to me if you cant mount it front and centre. Other option would be to sell it on and use the funds to buy something that's not as tall I suppose.

Didn't think of that, could be a good spot for it though... The whole car is coming apart to make way for a new engine soon so I'll have a better look then. Don't really want to do the oil cooler at the same time as I don't want to add any additional variables durin the running in period

I'm pretty sure it's 3/4-16 from what I have found online.

Also, I can't find a sandwich plate with the 3/4-16 fitting and an10 fittings, hence me going for the inline thermostat

Good find thank you.

However, since I need these http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/AN10-FEM...35?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_15&hash=item35ddb9bd43 to wire in my oil pressure and temp gauges, I think the inline thermostat will makes things not quite so messy. Because if I use the thermostat plate you linked, I will need a convertor from bsp to 10an, then the adapter with the 1/8 fitting, and then the 10an fitting with the hose connected. That will get very messy and I'm not certain it would fit.

I think I might bite the bullet and go the more expensive option (inline thermostat).

So do you think this sandwich plate would fit or is it not big enough for the oil filter?

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/321362797677?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Just looking at the other post, and cos I've removed my air con and sat the intercooler back to keep my fogs, I've got quite a bit of space in front of the IC:

Think I'm gonna try squeeze it in there some how, maybe trim the crash bar a bit....

Good thread karl linked to.

All my kit was from Matt Lewis Racing in Dorking Lewis, go down there to collect and offer cash, I got a cracking deal!

My oil cooler lives in my front left wheel arch, with the arch liner cut to allow passage for the air to escape behind the cooler. This is pretty important.

Good thread karl linked to.

All my kit was from Matt Lewis Racing in Dorking Lewis, go down there to collect and offer cash, I got a cracking deal!

My oil cooler lives in my front left wheel arch, with the arch liner cut to allow passage for the air to escape behind the cooler. This is pretty important.

I like your setup, I think I will put my oil cooler in the same location.

Couple of questions, why the mesh where you have cut the arch liner? To hold it all together?

Also, do you have any photos of your power steering cooler setup, mainly where you have tapped into the power steering fluid. I did a quick search on your build thread without any luck. Here in Australia it gets very hot so I'm thinking I will need it if this car sees much track time haha.