Facelift SB: Making boot spring open - possible?

allanmb

Reaction score
I might be making this up but I thought there was a thread on here saying that someone managed to get their Sportback boot to spring open when using the key fob to open. Currently I can open the boot with the key fob but it opens by about a cm at best which makes it pretty useless. Is it possible to get it to open fully? Without adding any C4 preferably ;-)

They probably don't allow this because it would be a bit hazardous. Plus they would need a much stronger mechanism than the saloon.
I don't think I have ever seen a mention of activating this before. I wouldn't think that a suitable mechanism is available.

Someone has done it when the 8v did come out originally. You can replace with more powerful gas struts which will open the boot when holding on the middle button. It will mean its harder to close obviously and if you accidentally trigger it and can catch a low ceiling.

I dont know where the link to purchase the more powerful gas strut, hopefully someone can link you in the right place buddy.

Reactions: allanmb
So taking from that thread it should be a case of adding 2 of these: https://www.assocspring.co.uk/iso-medium-duty/R204305

@Lehn Do you know if the Gas Struts in the S3 are already the required Stabilus 1820BB (495N)?

Here is a video of the opening in action, courtesy of @Lehn

Unfortunately the struts we get are the ones below and not the more powerful Stabilus.

5-door 450N oem part no.: 8V4827552
3-door 460N oem part no.: 8V3827552

Reactions: allanmb
Thanks, so I need to get the Gas Struts and the springs, and then fit them which is probably the harder part!

So what is actually required to do this mod ?

I'm very interested.

Reactions: Tom Shields
As far as I can tell it is simply source the correct gas struts for your car:
5-door 450N oem part no.: 8V4827552
3-door 460N oem part no.: 8V3827552

and you will also need 2 of these springs: http://www.assocspring.co.uk/iso-medium-duty/R204305

Remove old, fit new, voila! I haven't looked into finding the struts but you may be able to use the parts request on this forum

No no, you got me wrong @allanmb - the struts you describe is just the OEM ones but both the 3-door and 5-door would need the same Stabilus 1820BB (495N) struts together with a pait of R204305 Iso Medium Duty springs (https://www.assocspring.co.uk/iso-medium-duty/R204305) to make the boot open automatically.

Check the comment in the YouTube video above.

Reactions: Tom Shields
Thanks for clarifying and thanks for that post. It doesn't sound good if they fail at relatively normal temperatures :-( It's frequently lower than 1C here, I imagine its even more common for you!

Thanks for clarifying and thanks for that post. It doesn't sound good if they fail at relatively normal temperatures :-( It's frequently lower than 1C here, I imagine its even more common for you!

I also got my concerns but at least half of the year I would have an automatic boot which is okay for a total of £50 I think :snowman: