Sat nav in an A3 sportback 2016

steviep43

Reaction score
I'm about to buy my first A3 sportback 1.4 tfsi 2016. There are two I'm viewing on Sunday, pretty much exactly the same specs so not much between them - except one states it has sat nav, and one doesn't (the other has electric side mirrors and slightly lower mileage which I'd prefer). They're both 2016 models. I'm a bit confused as to whether sat-nav is standard in the 2016 models. If not is it worth opting for the built in model as I need some form of sat-nav? Or can I use Google maps through the built-in system? I believe the 2016 model doesn't have Apple CarPlay so is this a function through something like the myaudi app instead? Thanks

Steve

I personally find using the inbuilt sat nav via the MMI wheel to be a fiddly process and can never be bothered. And I find the direction arrows on the screen block out the "picture" too much as well, and I don't like that it has a seperate direction arrow in the part of the dash that normally displays the digital speedo.

I would rather have a decent Tom Tom or Garmin portable.....

I personally would choose the car you like best and not place too much value on the inbuilt sat nav....

All my own personal opinion of course.......:smile new:

Thanks but I was trying to avoid a phone holder option if I could have it built in. I assume from the responses that you can't use apps such as Waze through the in-built screen as I was hoping via the myaudi app?

Steviep43

The current Facelift A3 was introduced in the second half of 2016 (2017 model Year). Is either of the cars you’re looking at a FL? Apart from being better looking, it makes a difference to the equipment fitted.

The myaudi app will do nearly nothing for your car. Its only good feature is the ability to send destinations to your car via it. But this is only if oyu have Audi Connect in the car. If you do not have Sat Nav installed then it might be that you have the low system version of the MMI in your car. I had this and also paid 500 ish pounds to activate the Sat Nav. Its great, inbuilt etc etc... But the limitation will always be the screen and its rubbish size. Try to get an A3 with the tech pack or the bigger screen. This enables you to see much more info clearly on the MMI and it might also have more features as standard. If you cant see this before looking at the car in person then see if there is a photo of the car's system turned on. I would always pick a car with the most up to date tech as you will be using it so much and possibly for yrs to come. My low MMI in hindsight was seriously dated.