1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

S4 Replacement tyres

sunshinewelly Aug 3, 2018

1. sunshinewelly

sunshinewelly Active Member

Just wondering what people are replacing the standard tyres once they need to be replaced.

one thing i am slighly confused about is that my vehicle has the 19” x 8.5J ‘5-V spoke’ design alloy wheels

yet on the audi site it says that they have 245/40 R18 tyres

i assumed R18's would not fit 19 inch rims?

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Advertisement

3. cuke2u

cuke2u Well-Known Member TFSI Owners Group saloon Audi A4 S-line owners group

No the won't, have you looked at the tyres themselves that are fitted?
    Any pictures of your car yet?

4. sunshinewelly

cheers for that - i thought it was wrong - looks as if the audi configurator is wrong

heres a quick photo i took whilst i was waiting for my bww to be appraised at the handover last week

i will get some more up on the weekend after i clean the car audi.jpg

cuke2u likes this.
  5. sunshinewelly

if my car has 245 /35 /r19 can i replace with 245/40/19 as i will probably get all season tryes next

6. Daggerit

Daggerit Well-Known Member Team Floret Silver TFSI Owners Group Team V6 Audi S4 Audi Avant Owner Group quattro

Technically you can but your speedo will under-read by about 3.61%. So at 30mph it'll only be telling you 28.92mph and at 70mph it'll only be telling you 67.47mph. Something to be aware of.

7. cuke2u

cuke2u Well-Known Member TFSI Owners Group saloon Audi A4 S-line owners group

Daggerit likes this.
  8. sunshinewelly

Cheers - sounds like i will stick to the OEM size - just cant see any all season in that size

9. desertstorm

desertstorm Moderator Staff Member Moderator VCDS Map User TDi Audi A4 Audi Avant Owner Group quattro

10. sunshinewelly

cheers - is very odd the sizing that audi use as there are no all season tires in that exact size

11. Flowrider99

Flowrider99 Active Member Audi S5

Why would you want all season tyres? They are not as good as summer tyres in the summer and not as good as winter tyres in the winter. In fact they are below average all year round. Best to stick to the correct tyres on a performance saloon IMO.

12. Avatar

Google AdSense Advertisement

13. q5man

q5man Mythos Appreciator Team Mythos TFSI Owners Group Gold Supporter quattro Audi Q5

14. q5man

q5man Mythos Appreciator Team Mythos TFSI Owners Group Gold Supporter quattro Audi Q5

probably as they don't feel they are any good on performance cars

15. A12RNX

A12RNX Active Member TeamMisano Team V6 saloon Audi S4 Audi A6

Also you have Quattro so I’m sure a decent tyre like a Goodyear assy 3 or Michelin pilot sport 4s or even hankooks and the contis will be fine all year around. Just when you get snow you may struggle.

q5man likes this.
  16. q5man

very true, could also get Autosocks if/when it snows, a lot cheaper than a set of winter tyres: http://www.autosock.co.uk/

A12RNX likes this.
  17. psychopomp1

psychopomp1 Active Member

Ermmmmm....have you ever tried the Michelin Crossclimates? Living in North Scotland where the Winters can be pretty harsh, they were 95% as good as my dedicated Winter tyres on my B7 and 100% as good as my dedicated Summer tyres. So yes, the latest all-season tyres are pretty darn good and I would love it if Michelin could produce the Crossclimate in 245/35/R19 size. Otherwise its back to the Nokian A4 winter tyres for my B9, which are brilliant Winter tyres.

q5man likes this.
  18. sunshinewelly

I used to drive a 5 series and had a dedicated set of alloys and winter tyres. However at the same time i had a lovely garage so had space to store them. I moved house into another house that did not have a garage so i built a shed in the garden which stores the alloys that i have not used for 4 years. I managed in my Bmw m135 without winter tres for 2 winters. My wife has been nagging me to get rid of my current spare alloys so she will not be very pleased if i buy another set of wheels. A set of all seasons would therefore be great

Those autosocks look very handy as well. has anyone used those

19. WesT-gefül

WesT-gefül Active Member Bronze Supporter

You don’t tend to get big sizes in these sorts of tyres unless you want to spend stupid money for a set of 19” winter tyres. They tend to be smaller to cut into snow. I will be running 17” in the winter 225/50/17. All season with summer bias because we don’t get bad winters.

On my 19” rims I run 255/35/19. Which is only 1% out

You can get these all season tyres 255/35/19 to use the rims you have. (£150) Vredestein Quatrac 5 reviews http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Vredestein/Quatrac-5.htm

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 3, 2018