S4 one year anniversary

scotty76

Reaction score
So one year ago today I collected my S4. It was early. I collected it on its "provisional build date". What have I learnt...

First here are the stats:

4189 miles covered
Fuel consumption: 23.94mpg average, 30.60mpg best, 21.48mpg worst. (calculated fill ups, not DIS)

Trips to the dealer:
Oct 2014 - Coolant level below min.
Work done: Coolant system pressure tested. No fault found, suspect airlock from factory. Workshop action: 69K5 setting parameters for airbag control unit.

April 2015 - Coolant level between min and max, boot panel loose
Work done: Coolant system pressure tested. No fault found, suspect airlock from factory. Panel in boot replaced.

Detailing: car coated with CQuartz Finest and happy to report still beading almost 1 year on (applied July 2014). Wheels wearing CarPro DLUX since October 2014 and again still beading well. Conclusion: money well spent! :)

The car:
Everything I hoped it would be. I like S-Tronic, don't miss the manual. Perhaps that's because my car is used for commuting. Can taxi the kids or hoon it round the backroads. ADS makes it all work.

I had an initial fight with the seating position which improved immeasurably when I discovered the vertical adjustment switch twists so that you can alter the seat bucket pitch. So now I'm not falling out of the seat!

Like: Xenon headlights, DAB radio, SD card slot (though very bad at updating the tunes on the card).

Dislike: stop/start - doesn't really work for me.

Don't miss: the many options I could have spec'd. I don't find I'm missing anything.

Regrets: black is hard work to keep clean. Looks awesome for about 30 mins after it's washed. Would have had Sepang but not available when I ordered (expect as a special and I wasn't paying £x thousand for it).

Conclusion: love it! :)

Reactions: Bristle Hound, elpeterol, Keef and 3 others
Pics would be good .. can't have too many pics of S4's :nogarors4:

What was your original spec? Is there anything you spec'd that you feel has been a waste, and is there anything you didn't spec you wish you had? I know you've said you don't feel you're missing anything, but is there anything occasionally you think, oh that would have been useful?

For example, I've spec'd hill hold assist on my S4, my S3 has it and I really missed it when I had an S5 demo for a few days that didn't. Just the ability to pull up at a junction or line of traffic and take all my feet off the pedals without messing around with the parking brake. If you have a light enough touch the stop/start doesn't come into play either, or if you think you're going to be sitting a while, a firmer press and the engine stops. For such a small extra cash I think it's a no brainer.

Reactions: scotty76
The first one was taken as the sun was setting, approaching dusk. I've found the paint gives off a real glow that the camera just can't capture. It looks very liquid and very cool. :)

2015 05 12 200430
2015 05 10 104330
2015 04 05 171015

Reactions: Bristle Hound, Hear-Vier, V6 Quatt and 5 others
Pics would be good .. can't have too many pics of S4's :nogarors4:

What was your original spec? Is there anything you spec'd that you feel has been a waste, and is there anything you didn't spec you wish you had? I know you've said you don't feel you're missing anything, but is there anything occasionally you think, oh that would have been useful?

For example, I've spec'd hill hold assist on my S4, my S3 has it and I really missed it when I had an S5 demo for a few days that didn't. Just the ability to pull up at a junction or line of traffic and take all my feet off the pedals without messing around with the parking brake. If you have a light enough touch the stop/start doesn't come into play either, or if you think you're going to be sitting a while, a firmer press and the engine stops. For such a small extra cash I think it's a no brainer.

Original spec:
- S4 saloon in Phantom Black, Pearl Effect
- Audi Drive Select
- Quattro sports differential
- Hill Hold Assist
- Black styling pack
- 3 spoke flat bottom steering wheel
- Parking system plus
- Year 4 warranty

Mine's not a BE hence the addition of the Black styling pack. The chrome surrounds on my B7 were starting to go milky so hopefully won't have that happen on the S4.

I would have liked Super Sports Seats but didn't have the money for them. I kept the options list short to keep the price down as frankly it was a massive leap in cost from my 7 year old B7 2.0T FSI.

I'm on the fence about damper control. I don't find the standard ride a problem but damper control is a fairly low cost option on a new S4. I still worry it'll be expensive to fix (I know people say it isn't). I have friends with B7 RS4s and the dynamic ride control seems to be the source of many problems and usually gets swapped for more standard shocks. Having said all that I think I would consider spec'ing it if I had my time again.

HHA is probably the biggest revelation is terms of usefulness. It's always on on my car and like you I use it all the time.

ADS is a must IMHO. I think without it the car would have felt disappointing in a lot of circumstances as I believe the default setting if you don't have it is "Auto" which in my experience seems to favour economy. I don't have MMI so can't set "Individual" but nonetheless flicking it over to "Dynamic" makes the car the beast it should be. Sharp throttle response and just generally quick all round. I leave it in Auto for the the trip to work which is fine with early upshifts and general pootling about at low revs. I also tend to flick to Dynamic if I'm going to overtake something as it's a way of priming the car for what I intend. In Auto there'd be extra time as the car adjusts to the fact you plan to boot it and likely a double down shift which can slow the STronic.

More mutterings and pics here:
S4 - 1000 Mile Mini Review

Reactions: TahirS and TheFiftheElement
I've spec'd the dampers, you're right it's a fairly low cost option for what it is ...

£500 seems to be the cut off point for options for me, above that I need some serious consideration if it's worth it or not. Sports differential made the cut but the Super Sports Seats didn't.

I think about £750 and I'd have been tempted but not at £1,500. @Bristle Hound S4 has electric in his standard seats which was a surprise, as I thought that was only on the SSS, but that's made me even more sure, for me, I've made the right decision to stick with the standard leather/alcantara.

Off to read your mini review, this waiting around lark for a new car is seriously frustrating!

@Bristle Hound S4 has electric in his standard seats which was a surprise, as I thought that was only on the SSS, but that's made me even more sure, for me, I've made the right decision to stick with the standard leather/alcantara.

Yep can confirm the standard seats are electric.

2015 05 01 084904

Reactions: TheFiftheElement
I had an initial fight with the seating position which improved immeasurably when I discovered the vertical adjustment switch twists so that you can alter the seat bucket pitch. So now I'm not falling out of the seat!
+1 (I nearly regretted buying the car because the seat felt so uncomfortable until I found that control)

scotty76,

The coolant level on mine also dropped to the minimum level over the course of its first 9,000 miles. Didn't need to top it up or anything but like you I was a bit concerned and asked for it to be looked at when it had its first service last week. Pressure test was done and no leaks found and advised that it's probably just a settling in thing.

Love how shiny your paint is in those pics.

scotty76,

The coolant level on mine also dropped to the minimum level over the course of its first 9,000 miles. Didn't need to top it up or anything but like you I was a bit concerned and asked for it to be looked at when it had its first service last week. Pressure test was done and no leaks found and advised that it's probably just a settling in thing.

Love how shiny your paint is in those pics.

Thanks for the information. It's good to hear other people's experience. My coolant level does seem to have settled finally.

It doesn't stay shiny for long. This time of year you wash it and 1 hour later it's covered in pollen. :)