S3 v TT mk1

ianysm

Reaction score
Had a rather supprising bit of fun with a TT last night. I was driving home from playing fooball along a dual carriageway with numerous traffic light junctions, minding my own business hunting for a vehicle to play with, as always. But it seems this time i was the prey. Suddenly the distinct piercing xenons of a TT are behind. Hmm, could be interesting i thought, he was obviously game.

Lights change and one by one the cars in front pull out of the way. Now i'm thinking, most TT's are standard so i might gradually pull away here...I accellerated passed the slower cars checking to see if i was gaining any distance. He was equalling my pace, hmm, i'm thinking maybe this is mapped too, neck and neck. Then the shock, i pulled back into the slow lane still flat out and the next bit was very impressive, he absolutely blasted passed me like i was stationary, with blue flames as he changed gear and an amazing roar from the overly large exhausts. Wow, that was definately NOT standard.

I tried to give chase but had no hope of keeping up. Luckily he was just toying with me and stayed in touch. I'm thinking, I HAVE to find out what that is!

We stopped at the end of the slip road to briefly exchange words. Turns out it was a 2.1 litre and pushing out 480bhp. WOW, that explains it then!

We agreed to pull over for a chat but unfortunately i took the wrong exit and couldn't find him again. It was getting late and i needed to get home, so carried on my journey.

Completely humbled! But very impressed!

That was the King of sleepers! I bet there isn't much that can keep with it!

Blimey, I bet that went well!.

My other half has a Mk1 TT Roadster (225 Bam engine) and its alright, but to be fair...my poney A3 runs rings around it now its mapped!. But to befair her's is a lot nicer in the bends as mines only FWD. Nice cars though, I keep telling her to get a remap but she's not interested....hurumph :(......cant see her wanting to take that blokes lead and end up with something like he has...sadly!.

On a similar note, I had an experience with an 09 A3 2.0T the other day, knock for knock at the end of it all......I was pleased enough with that. Mine picked up a lot quicker than his did but I think his had slightly longer legs at higher speed. I'd be in front till about 70 before he drew level......good enough I reckon!. I think it made him look twice anyway.

T

erm, Tom your mapped KO3 runs rings around your misus 225? the 225 isnt being driven right :)

Ian, ive been waiting for a TT post mate, went out in the misus R56 cooper S the other day for bit of fun (gone for an hour, she thought i was at my parents for most of it :) ), had a 3.2 TT and 225 TT in two days..... i gave both grief to push, cornering i hammered them both, the 225 seemed quicker but the Mini (turbo model and unmapped @ 175bhp) kept with both....level pegged with both (think the 225 had the slight edge)..... regardless, both of them looked well p**sed that a pansy Mini with a sign 'I love my Mini' in the rear window kept with them haha - thinking back i should have blown them a kiss

Also had a small race with an Astra VXR in it....he managed 2 car lengths then flashed me to pass by when we hit the limit ;)

as a gauge her car tends to lose approx 3-4 car lengths on me in a straight race..... in dry obviously

scary stuff all these new cars out there

keep the stories coming mate

I only ever see things to play with when I'm stuck in traffic or with the mrs! I dont even know if my car can keep up with a metro because I dont get the chance to try.

Oh I did obliterate a clio 182 before my remap :whistle2:

was it the supercharged model or the new one Tom.....big difference...the supercharged one has nothing near the turbo'd one on top end (from 60mph)..... i can only tell you my experiances, and im quite worried for when she gets it mapped.... goodbye to my car when that happens, im pretty certain of it (as much as i hate to admit)

Last edited:
There's a guy in our village with a 58 Cooper S (Turbo). He's abit of a **** too but i doubt he'd ever get it modified as its his girlfriends really! Dying to meet him on the local village lanes for a play. There is a particular place i want to try. Its a bumpy uphill section after a humpback bridge. No powerful two wheel drive car maintains traction under full power, wet or dry. That one's mine!!

haha go get him mate..... any Mini bashing will help me when the misus pipes up..... that said the roads i went on were very well maintained, cornering i almost smashed into the back of the 3.2, he looked to be coming off the road round a roundabout and i accelerated up behind to prove a point (could have gone faster round that bend too)..... wouldnt have one myself but i find myself using it for 2/3 days a week now for work :ohmy:

only tip i can give is make sure your on boost if ever in a drag race, they have virtually no lag at all

The 3.2 V6 TT is utter gash. When I had my Elise and did a Nurburgring trip we had a mate of a mate with a TT 3.2 and it was the only car that came unstuck. They handle like crap and aren't particularly quick either. My old 182 (pictured in my sig) that i'd sold to a friend of mine made the TT look like a tractor round the Ring.

Alot of the guys on the TT forum are running at stages 2. Recently been looking at titties and I really like them.

I love mini's. Tried getting a JCW's before my S3 but the prices are still really strong.

yeah nattie, have to say its more impressive than i imagined, but then its a dif league..i still enjoy getting in mine cos its 'feels' loads faster (even though it isnt)

I lost at pod against a stage 3 TT, had him from start as he had a bad one....then 3/4 down he just hammered me top end, a lot of that had to be down to the FMIC was my guess

If I had the money I would buy a JCW's but only for a few months as it would be a weekend toy. Dont think they are very practical and the ride is pretty harsh sometimes and the interiors is way to fussy but for having fun in they are hard to beat for that price.

Last edited:
yup yup completely agree..... nice cars tho as you say and you ideally need a gum shield

I looked at a couple of JCW's and standard Cooper S's before the S3. (I even joined the Mini forum too) but decided on the S3 as its something i always fancied and the Quattro much better for the roads i frequent. Peak District winter commuting not really the place for a go-kart-Cooper S!

I would have your cooper s Tim as its turbo charged but I love the styling of the JCW's. My friends had a white one with all the carbon fibre bits and I loved it.

I LOVE my S3 though, its being MOT'ed right now fingers crossed. Your previous cars Ian were on my wish list lol. Was going to buy a type R before the S3 and want a M3 after it or maybe a 135i depending on prices in few years :).

Nattie they do a turbo'd JCW mate..... thats the R56 model (the latest shape), stronger internals,brembos,popping exhaust (190bhp i think) etc etc

if i were to go to the old models id have a GP, been to a couple of shows and seen a few of these...no back seats etc, weight saving, no fogs etc, absolutely lovely cars

was swinging to an M3 myself but the S3 is just a nice well rounded package, not tooo big, has everything you could want..... and fast for the weight of the damn thing - no regrets ;)

Ye i meant I would have a old model supercharged JCW's but not a old cooper s. The new turbo charged JCW's are really expensive £21 - £24 depending on options. That is to much for what it is.

A guy as a GP one by me, only one ive seen. It looks so cool. The colour scheme is bit odd but it looks right if you get me.

yeah they are weird, one of her club members has a photo of a meet last year...biggest meet of GP owners in the world @ silverstone, think over 150 turned up....think 900 were made and only 350 made it to the UK ....or near as damn it - the photo was an aerial shot and looked absolutely amazing seeing them all parked up in a square

you can pick up an 07 plate JCW for around the 16k mark if your lucky ;)

A good friend of mine has just part exchanged his Mini JCW for a new Honda Civic Type R GT. It was a 56 plate , supercharged model and they gave him £11,000 for it so in a year or so they will be a decent price to pick up used. Probably the fastest, most exhilarating car ive been in, although the interior is no match for an S3 !

erm, Tom your mapped KO3 runs rings around your misus 225? the 225 isnt being driven right :)

Yep, thats with me driving it too. There's a stretch of national just by her house. My car gets to 60 a hell of a lot quicker than hers, the speed cameras further away by the time I'm at 60, her's reaches it much later down the road (closer to the camera)

I have no doubt that in the bends hers would **** mine and maybe at higher speeds but off the lights the needles swings around a lot quicker in mine. She's no light footed driver either (advanced at work) and I'll show her a clean set of heels away from the lights.

The TT Cabrio's a heavy old beast, plus its stock, so with my 195ish BHP, no haldex, lighter car etc...on paper (as well as in reality) its more than possible ;) She's even cained me in my car when I've been following in hers.

Strange but true!. TT's running alright, no issues with it...just a stock BAM motor in a heavier car running Quattro. If mine was a Quattro I'd imagine it would be different.

Perhaps I'm lucky, but followiong on from the mapping on mine its really quick up through 1st, 2nd and 3rd. I've not had it on a dyno yet though so I'll be interested to see what its putting out.

T

A good friend of mine has just part exchanged his Mini JCW for a new Honda Civic Type R GT. It was a 56 plate , supercharged model and they gave him £11,000 for it so in a year or so they will be a decent price to pick up used. Probably the fastest, most exhilarating car ive been in, although the interior is no match for an S3 !

I might know of someone who wants an S3 over his red JCW Cooper S, its about a 55 plate I think. Nice car with a few pulleys etc changed, goes well.

T

I bet its close between the supercharged S and a Civic Type R. My friend currently has the latest Type R (having had the previous shape before it) and while it handles andfeels better, its definately heavier and slower. I borrowed it for a week (he had my M3!) but i wouldn't buy another. It was wet weather and just too difficult to make any progress!

Yeah Tom there fast but not very practical. I can see why someone would want to swap to an A3/S3 as they are better all round cars. The Type R he has gone for will be a fair bit off the pace but at least it comes with a proper boot .

His JCW had a few changes from the factory and was running at 219 bhp .

Last edited:
the supercharged car isnt as useable as the turbo as it runs out over 60mph....the turbo is definately a faster car.... ive raced a few supercharged ones and completely blitzed them, yet i cant shake the turbo......

Tom, no offence but i do know what a ko3'd A3 can do, and i can state that you wont ruin a 225 thats doing what it should..... no chance, id say stay with it minimum....the quattro losses dont matter as much as it is a rolling race, the linkages will all have engaged..... seriously think you need to get the TT looked at..... you only need to loook at 1/4 mile times and your pretty much neck and neck to a stock S3..... mid range will again be much of a muchness, the weight difference isnt massive enough plus when your rolling the weight advantage diminishes due to the rolling weight..... honestly i dont think for a second a k03 mapped would beat a standard 225 by more than a car length if at all...just doesnt figure, couple that with the fact, my mate had a ko3'd Leon and that matched my 225 unmapped - that has downpipe and loads of extras hes fitted (mechanic)...hes just switched to KO3s to match me now...... just doesnt add up when you look at loads of other stories on here either

wait for prawn to show up...im sure he'll have some sort of data on this.....

the supercharged car isnt as useable as the turbo as it runs out over 60mph....the turbo is definately a faster car.... ive raced a few supercharged ones and completely blitzed them, yet i cant shake the turbo......

Tom, no offence but i do know what a ko3'd A3 can do, and i can state that you wont ruin a 225 thats doing what it should..... no chance, id say stay with it minimum....the quattro losses dont matter as much as it is a rolling race, the linkages will all have engaged..... seriously think you need to get the TT looked at..... you only need to loook at 1/4 mile times and your pretty much neck and neck to a stock S3..... mid range will again be much of a muchness, the weight difference isnt massive enough plus when your rolling the weight advantage diminishes due to the rolling weight..... honestly i dont think for a second a k03 mapped would beat a standard 225 by more than a car length if at all...just doesnt figure, couple that with the fact, my mate had a ko3'd Leon and that matched my 225 unmapped - that has downpipe and loads of extras hes fitted (mechanic)...hes just switched to KO3s to match me now...... just doesnt add up when you look at loads of other stories on here either

wait for prawn to show up...im sure he'll have some sort of data on this.....

I can only base it on what I've experienced. I had a row with an S3 the other day (Dolphin Grey in Solihull if its anyone on here) and it was pretty much knock for knock. Granted the speed had to be kept to under 70 ish but there was nothing in it. The bloke looked a bit ****** off about it too, although had it been wet and the roads a bit more twisty I'd have been going backwards through a hedge long before he was even close. It'll have longer legs that mine I'm sure but we'd be talking banning territory before we got to that.

Bec's TT's running fine, it had a service about a week ago and was all checked out etc and no faults, nothing (apart from a dicky headlight switch)

I can only tell you whats happened. I've driven both in anger and the TT doesnt gain speed as quickly as mine. The 'push in the back' is much less too for some reason too. Sure its quick, but there's much less 'drama' and it cant get to 60 as quick or in as short distance as mine. I'd say its a good 30 yards later down the road.

As I said, its serviced up, no faults, no issues....just not as pokey.

Perhaps its a wrong-un, but nothings ever been picked up on when being serviced etc and there's no signs of anything being wrong.

Superchargers runs out after 60mph? lol first time Ive heard that. It certainly has its positives but also has its negatives such as instant low down torque with no lag but has a service interval usually around every 25k.

Tom, thats all we can quote mate, our experiences....the way i look at it is that the TT 225 does 0-60 in under 7 secs, your 150bhp A3 does it in 8.2....no map will make your car a sub 7 second car...thats logic - mid range may be a different story but it shouldnt be night and day - i had mine go through its main service by a trusted ex Audi chief mechanic when i bought the S3, he didnt spot the boost leaks i had because it isnt as simple as 'it's serviced', you wont know unless you have a comparable or stick it on an RR against some other standard TT's..... im sure you remember my clio 197 run in where i lost - the amount of things identified from that incident has cost me a small fortune to put right, and lots of time and money on diagnostics. What you say in your comparison simply does not add up

Minty, i know the supercharger is supposed to provide power all the time, trouble is the supercharged Mini's just arent as quick as the turbos for some reason....they both quote the same 0-60 times but mid range its a different world....put it this way, i have raced a GTT tuned old cooper S R53 and 'just' kept with it....were this R56 be mapped, im almost certain it would take me..... to get that power out of the supercharger your spending 1.5-2k on pulleys, map, downpipes, converting the twin box exhaust to single box, CAT etc etc, this one requires a £350 p-torque map - another comparison is ive also raced a normal R53 MCS and completely oblitorated it

horses for courses....but the difference is definately there, thats why i talked her into paying the extra for the new model :)

It wouldn't suprise me at all if Toms A3 is quicker than a 225tt in a straight line, my old A3 remapped could keep with a standard S3 and maybe even have the edge, the tt in question would be a bit heavier than an S3, don't get me wrong it wouldnt trounce the tt but I believe it would have the edge...

yup but it would only be an edge, but then from a standing start the figures still dont stack up..... not even close

yup but it would only be an edge, but then from a standing start the figures still dont stack up..... not even close

As far as I'm aware its all OK though, she's crap at telling me if its OK or not so I always give it a once over every so often (I've not seen anything obvious). I dont think the difference between a 225bhp TT Roadster and my FWD A3 is as big as you might think though. Yes, the TT has more power (say 30bhp max) but then there's more weight and how it puts the power down....hence why S3's dont set the world on fire on the 1/4 mile. Sure, they have more power but I'd be happy to say a FWD car with less power would have a better 60ft time etc due to being able to launch properly?. S3's always seem to 'bog down' when I've seen them run...even big power ones.

Pure speculation makes me think if I was to go head to head with a stock S3 you'd be looking at mine being quicker off the mark with the S3 having longer legs and more grunt further down the track.

I really need to get mine on a dyno though as I have no idea what its putting out. The CC agent that mapped it said expect another 50bhp on top, however I find that a bit hard to swallow...more like 40 maybe?. The only other engine mods are a decent filter, a Forge TIP and a decent exhaust (however thats only cat back so no gains there I would imagine).

When she first got it (before any mods to my car) it used to trounce me, no problem what so ever. Mine wasnt very quick off the mark and lacked grunt. The TT was far superior but not now it would seem. It still drives the same as it always did, plus its had a few things changed like the MAF and the duff coil packs it was running etc.

Confused..... I think a run what you brung might be in order...and I'll bring her car along too and rip the **** out of it for a few hours and see what the numbers are :laugh: (and cans of hairspray, nail extensions, make up etc to blend in with the other TT owners ;) )

T

I gave an SLK55 a bit of a shock this morning :)

Kinda on topic, S3 v TiT :)

<tuffty/>

Tom your not likely to find it if its a boost issue, theres plenty of reasons for it losing power and you would have no idea.... i changed a few things then ended up paying JBS diagnostic time to test it, they spotted another leak even though id checked everything....you really coul do with RR'ing it if your oblitorating it with yours...... yes 1/4 mile ours bogs down, but thats better than spinning...fact

but then you have to question what you mean by setting the world alight....a mapped S3 will do sub 14's if pushed, i havent seen or heard of an A3 with KO3S breaking the 14's yet....the quattro aint so bad in that scenario

defo need to get sumat sorted, pod would be good next year if you fancy it..... still dont think you should be beating her off the line though......mapping my car, a mid 6 second car does not make it a nearly 4 second car, thats just silly, same applies to a KO3 A3, 8.2 to 6.6? no chance

PAul thats great mate, i know mapped the S3 will keep with SL500..... (lad at works got one) but an AMG??? good stuff:thumbsup:

Tom your not likely to find it if its a boost issue, theres plenty of reasons for it losing power and you would have no idea.... i changed a few things then ended up paying JBS diagnostic time to test it, they spotted another leak even though id checked everything....you really coul do with RR'ing it if your oblitorating it with yours...... yes 1/4 mile ours bogs down, but thats better than spinning...fact

If you spin of course....depends how much faith someone has in their gearbox (deep pockets if it goes tits up) and how hard they're prepared to launch. A decent prepped track will pull your trainers off (I know, I've done it), add to that a bit of talent and you're fine. I know of a lad with a sub 10 second MK2 Golf, no spinning issues there :)

but then you have to question what you mean by setting the world alight....a mapped S3 will do sub 14's if pushed, i havent seen or heard of an A3 with KO3S breaking the 14's yet....the quattro aint so bad in that scenario

I've always been really unimpressed by them when I've seen them if I'm being honest. I'd have expected a whole lot more from them considering my mates stock Golf GTI (1.8T AGU) did The Pod in 15.1 a few years back. However, they're not built for straight line fun as we both know.

defo need to get sumat sorted, pod would be good next year if you fancy it.....

I'd be up for it for sure, purely out of idle curiosity on my part.

still dont think you should be beating her off the line though......mapping my car, a mid 6 second car does not make it a nearly 4 second car, thats just silly, same applies to a KO3 A3, 8.2 to 6.6? no chance

I know that. ;) :thumbsup: The TT should have a 0-62 time of high 6's (6.8 ish), mine standard would be 8.1 from what I can gather. So I presume mines into the 7's now...so really thats not all that much. Perhaps her TT has got something up with it maybe?. But that wouldnt explain why the dude in the S3 the other day was getting annoyed with me?. The lad who's got the Golf was up for a bit of a play the other week and again.....toast. He even commented when we were on the way back from the pub the other day (he was passenger) stating it pulls a lot LOT harder than his does?.

Hmmm, I think some dyno time with the birds car and mine is in order to get to the bottom of this.

T