1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dismiss Notice

s3 tyres what to choose?

paulo16 Jan 23, 2020

1. paulo16

paulo16 Registered User

Hi guys I know a tyre post was done in 2016 just wanted some recent info and reviews on what tyres to
    choose in the s3 8v
    currently thinking of putting Michelin pilot sport 4s on- think mines 225/40 18
    cheers

2. Avatar

snack-media
    Advertisement

3. Dannymoto

Dannymoto Registered User

Myself and a lot of other people do rate the Pilot Sport 4S but sure they’re only available in 19”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

paulo16 likes this.
  4. sportback A3

sportback A3 Registered User

I had PS 4`s 225/40/18 on my GTD. awesome tyres. I Then put cross climates on again these are superb, especially in the wet, and cold, very litte difference in summer also. Ill certaily put then on my TDI quattro when i need new tyres.

paulo16 likes this.
  5. mfl

mfl Registered User

I've found the Bridgestone RE003 (225/40 x 18) quite good in their handling (wet & dry) and i do the occasional track day which they are suited for. Tried a set of Dunlop SP Max after the original Continentals , but wasn't impressed, wore quickly, soft sidewalls and wet weather traction wasn't the best.

of course my comments are based on Aussie driving conditions.

paulo16 likes this.
  6. paulo16

paulo16 Registered User

thanks mate, iv checked on blackcircles.com and they come in 18s too

7. paulo16

paulo16 Registered User

I had a m7 golf gt tdi and had ps3s which gripped well all weathers etc, that's why thinking of going bk to Michelin and trying the ps4;s

sportback A3 likes this.
  8. Boydie

Boydie S3 8V DSG VCDS Map User

I am on my second set of Michellin PS4S for my 19's - couldnt recommend them highly enough

paulo16 likes this.
  9. wab172uk

wab172uk Now in an X3 M40i

Had them on my S3 Saloon. Great tyre.

TBH over the years, I've found the Michelin Pilot Sport range to be the best tyres for all round performance. Even have the PS3's on my Twingo RS.

10. TonkS3

TonkS3 Registered User

PS4S's are not to be confused with PS4's - they are different. Unfortunately the PS4S are only in 19"+. PS4 is still a great tyre though.

11. quattrorally

quattrorally Registered User

I had contisport contacts when i bought the car. Have switched to pilot sport 4's and the difference is night and day. not sure if thats a testament to how good the ps4's are or how bad the continentals were.

12. Avatar

snack-media
    Advertisement

13. Damo S

Damo S Registered User

Contis are junk I have no idea why manufacturers put them on as standard. I'll be trying PS4s next I think

14. Bells

Bells Registered User

I’ve got P Zeros on at the moment as they came brand new with the 19’ alloys I purchased but I wouldn’t recommend them to be honest, they aren’t terrible tyres but aren’t amazing in the wet.

Much prefer the Michelin Pilot 4S’s I had on my previous S3 they were much better.

15. AWP

AWP Registered User

I use Goodyear eagle f1 asymmetric 5, great all round tyre and excellent stopping power in wet conditions. I would highly recommend them as the wear is good, also not an S3 but thought id throw in my two cents xD

paulo16 likes this.
  16. Mikeso51

Mikeso51 Registered User

AWP. I’ve read a lot of good reports on the Eagle F1 Asy 5, but I can’t find any info. on the rim protection. How good is it on on this tyre?

paulo16 likes this.
  17. ictus_duplo2

ictus_duplo2 Registered User

Been running Michelin Pilot Sport 4 for 18 months and cannot fault them.

paulo16 likes this.
  18. george forbes

george forbes Registered User

from previous thread
    [​IMG]

AWP likes this.
  19. george forbes

george forbes Registered User

20. MikeParkin

MikeParkin Registered User

I’ve got the pilot sport cups and there great.

21. The_Ironist

The_Ironist Registered User

Got to remember when you get a new set of tyres, you’ve done thousands of miles in your old set and your recent memory of them is at their very poorest. It’s hard to compare like for like.

Mine came with P-Zeros, I do find them slightly lacking in the wet but my haldex is also probably due a service.

I had CC4/5 and PS4 on the A3 and all did a good job. Will likely replace mine with PS4S when it comes to the time.

22. Peto

Peto Registered User

If you want to save the money look at these I have them and they are perfect £200 all round 235 35 19
    you can try 255s
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Blacklio...772690?hash=item1a54422cd2:g:YZoAAOSwqm1bKlNI

23. Wibbly

Wibbly Registered User

Amazing rim protection though ;-)

Bells likes this.
  24. AWP

AWP Registered User

Much as George said there is good rim protection sticks out a-few cm or so on them, plus he has better looking rims that mine xD

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

25. Bells

Bells Registered User

Very true, it’s saved me once or twice in a multi-storey :sweatsmile:

26. AWP

AWP Registered User

27. The_Ironist

The_Ironist Registered User

Is it bad practice to change 2 tyres only to a different brand on S3?

When I purchased fronts were 7 and rears 5. Rears down to 3 now and one has a slow puncture so considering a premature pair. Fronts still have 5.

Want to change to PS4S from PZero.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2020
  28. Damo S

Damo S Registered User

my tyres have no rim protection and as a result I've kerbed ALL of my alloys at some point though moments of incompetence. so damn annoying!

Bells likes this.
  29. Dubjam

Dubjam Moderator Staff Member Moderator VCDS Map User

I always buy British tyres, Avon.

Ran them on multiple 400bhp Impreza's (track cars and dailys) and they where pretty much spot on with immense wet weather handling.

Both my A3's came with P-Zero's and Sport Contacts, changed them to Avons and better both times. The additional bonus is helping British business and jobs, and my is logic buying a tyre designed and tested on the same tarmac you will be using it on.

Plus there is no import tax, so the prices are lower.

30. Peto

Peto Registered User

Guys do you think I can run 245 wide tyres all round on A3 or 255 ones?