S3 Suspension advice

S3_Mat

Reaction score
So i'm busy sourcing some H&R ARB's front and rear and i plan on fitting these either with KW v2's or Bilstein B14. Im also considering doing the front control arms as well for the superpro ones. Given all the above work requires some deconstruction is there anything else that is worth changing whilst these parts are going on? Any bushes to replace whilst its all off? Any draw backs of using polybushes?

Also I have a knock from the front that my mechanic couldnt really identify but assures me its not steering rack and suspects, as i do, that its tie rods which will be replaced when the ARB's go on. Im wondering if it could also be the subframe shifting slightly and would the Tyrolsport deadset subframe kit be of benefit and is it an involved install or easily done in the process of fitting the front ARB?

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Hi Mat,

If you're going to have the suspension in bits,it's worth getting things like the bushes upgraded,and the Superpro TCAs would also be worthwhile at the same time.

Relative to the ARB's and decent coilovers,the improvements from those are quite small,but as it all needs to be taken to bits to do the coilovers,it becomes a useful addition.

I had mine done in increments as the parts became available,so really,that approach costs more.

There are no real downsides to poly bushes,apart from a bit more road noise perhaps,but I don't think that counts against the tighter feel,and better feedback.

If you haven't had your engine mounts uprated,that's also worth doing.

Regarding poly - Do they need regular greasing gun/wd40 Alex or is that with certain type or brands? I'm also not able to afford a full poly at the moment and unsure if its the correct thing to do if it requires a lot of maintenance. If I wasn't to fully poly bush the car is there an order of importance bushes with regards to handling. IE replacing certain ones have a greater effect than replacing other ones therefore saving some money. Any problems with this approach?

I can handle some additional road noise bushes may introduce but I'm reluctant to do any engine mounts at the power I'm currently at. I don't have no clutch issues yet but it is only a matter of time and I still need to decide exactly how much power I ultimately want and what i am prepared to spend to get there and that would probably dictate what clutch/flywheel combo I end up getting. I have heard many stories of people with stiff mounts and solid flywheels and the result is a lot of cabin noise!

Id be interested to hear from anyone who has fitted the subframe kit and what if any improvement they had from it or if it was purely a remedy for front end knocking.

Regarding poly - Do they need regular greasing gun/wd40 Alex or is that with certain type or brands? I'm also not able to afford a full poly at the moment and unsure if its the correct thing to do if it requires a lot of maintenance. If I wasn't to fully poly bush the car is there an order of importance bushes with regards to handling. IE replacing certain ones have a greater effect than replacing other ones therefore saving some money. Any problems with this approach?

I can handle some additional road noise bushes may introduce but I'm reluctant to do any engine mounts at the power I'm currently at. I don't have no clutch issues yet but it is only a matter of time and I still need to decide exactly how much power I ultimately want and what i am prepared to spend to get there and that would probably dictate what clutch/flywheel combo I end up getting. I have heard many stories of people with stiff mounts and solid flywheels and the result is a lot of cabin noise!

Id be interested to hear from anyone who has fitted the subframe kit and what if any improvement they had from it or if it was purely a remedy for front end knocking.

Mine is fitted with Superpro bushes all round,and they don't seem to need any sort of maintenance.

I think I'd do the whole lot rather than replacing just some of them,and looking at the state of the OEM bushes that came out of mine below,you'll see why.
These are from an 08 car,that had done around 55 000 miles when they were replaced.

Now obviously they are a bit mashed up from being pulled out,but you can see they aren't looking great after that mileage.

Here's the Supalloy TCA in place,with some of the bushes.

Yeah they do look a bit smashed up even if you had to pry them out! My bushes probably look similar to that then as my 2006 is about the same mileage.

Did you go with the ball joint option on the TCA? Ive just some searching for UK stockists and they mention the ball joint to re-align the the control arm if you have lowered the car. Now i'm not going to be dropping the front much, approx 30mm just to remove some negative rake, rear will probably get a 20mm drop. Is it worth getting the ball joint for drop as small as that?

Oh and what poly bush set did you use? Thanks

Yeah they do look a bit smashed up even if you had to pry them out! My bushes probably look similar to that then as my 2006 is about the same mileage.

Did you go with the ball joint option on the TCA? Ive just some searching for UK stockists and they mention the ball joint to re-align the the control arm if you have lowered the car. Now i'm not going to be dropping the front much, approx 30mm just to remove some negative rake, rear will probably get a 20mm drop. Is it worth getting the ball joint for drop as small as that?

I think we went for the whole nine yards on the front of the car,and ended up also revising the coilovers to Clubsport spec to get some camber on the front.

Mine has a little positive rake,and is around 20mm lower overall.

I think we went for the whole nine yards on the front of the car,and ended up also revising the coilovers to Clubsport spec to get some camber on the front.

Mine has a little positive rake,and is around 20mm lower overall.

Sorry for thread hijack S3_Mat! Alex, as you know ive recently went for the KW V3s. What bushes would you recommend replacing when installing the coilovers? I ask because when the coilovers go in, I dont plan on them coming out for a very long time...if ever! So if there are bushes that you need to take the coilovers out to replace, id rather I got them now and do all in one go! Thanks.

Sorry for thread hijack S3_Mat! Alex, as you know ive recently went for the KW V3s. What bushes would you recommend replacing when installing the coilovers? I ask because when the coilovers go in, I dont plan on them coming out for a very long time...if ever! So if there are bushes that you need to take the coilovers out to replace, id rather I got them now and do all in one go! Thanks.

I'd replace all of the bushes at that point then,if you don't have any plans to change anything after.

The whole package(suspension and bushes) will make a big difference to the handling,and the bushes will enable you to get the best out of the suspension.

Reactions: s3_trev