S3 spoiler on the A3?

maxpayne

Reaction score
Hi,

This is spoiler on our MY2005 A3 S-Line Sportback:

ef523fcbfcce434ad014257e1f4a7be5.jpg

Saw the following spoiler on someone breaking a MY2006 A3 S-Line:

470399b6d369cb1720b9c43a98c627ae.png

I assume the former is a S3 spoiler? Is it a straightforward swap? In which case I’ll get one

Thanks.

I would imagine the boot lids are exactly the same shape and size, so I would be surprised if it doesn't fit.
I'm sure someone with a definitive answer will be along soon to confirm.

Reactions: maxpayne
Why not just do a quick bit off research ie retrofits section ( might have been done already rather ) . But i would be 99.9% sure it will fit . And if you search u will find how to fit

Seller sent a close up:

96f4766b49716500994375db7e72372b.jpg

He claims it’s the real deal but is it me or the spoiler is not flush fitting and sticking out a bit?

I have an S3 on my 09 sportback and fit perfectly. Obviously mine also came from a sportback.

Attachments

• ACD1D58D-73E1-4EB2-9387-182C60478E55.jpeg
    ACD1D58D-73E1-4EB2-9387-182C60478E55.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 100
  • 9058813E-E0B8-4B5A-911E-A27E1FCFD0A8.jpeg
    9058813E-E0B8-4B5A-911E-A27E1FCFD0A8.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 99
1st pic you put up of your car is without a spoiler, 2nd is the standard spoiler S3's & Slines have fitted, make sure 3 or 5dr suits your car size.

Be careful using sealant as when dry it can suck it down & bow unsightly, hence why I drill & bolt these for clients as per factory.

Make sure they unbolt from breaking car, not cut it off.

1st pic you put up of your car is without a spoiler, 2nd is the standard spoiler S3's & Slines have fitted, make sure 3 or 5dr suits your car size.

Be careful using sealant as when dry it can suck it down & bow unsightly, hence why I drill & bolt these for clients as per factory.

Make sure they unbolt from breaking car, not cut it off.

Thanks for the great tip. Drilling sounds risky since I may not be able to do it properly and let rust in? I was hoping it will be plug and play!

I always rub the metal flat, use rust protection brushed on, then fit with bolts & of course some sealant, never had a leak to date, if done correctly.

Reactions: maxpayne and ch1z64
Update: ordered it. Couldn’t resist at £65 and the colour code matches too.
Once again heart won over head

Last edited:
Reactions: Daveyonthemove
Update: ordered it. Couldn’t resist at £65 and the colour code matches too.
Once again heart won over head
Glad you got 1 now, you should do a picture and text step by step for everyone to use if they decide to this retrofit :thumbs up:

I did this mod last summer. The s-line/s3 spoiler require the s-line/s3 boot lid for perfect fit. The s-line/s3 lid has a lower upper part with the holes for the screws. The SE lid doesn't have it. You don't have to drill the boot lid though. Just glue it on with some windshield adhesive. Before that, cut off the screw fitment points on the spoiler. Youl'll need to buy a s-line break light as yours wont fit. Even when you do everything wright, the spoiler would fit circa 5 mm higher than on the genuine s3/s-line boot lid. Good luck.

S line roof spoiler glued

I did this mod last summer. The s-line/s3 spoiler require the s-line/s3 boot lid for perfect fit. The s-line/s3 lid has a lower upper part with the holes for the screws. The SE lid doesn't have it. You don't have to drill the boot lid though. Just glue it on with some windshield adhesive. Before that, cut off the screw fitment points on the spoiler. Youl'll need to buy a s-line break light as yours wont fit. Even when you do everything wright, the spoiler would fit circa 5 mm higher than on the genuine s3/s-line boot lid. Good luck.

View attachment 161131

Great tips!

Mine is an S-Line Sportback and so is the donor car. The spoiler comes with the break lights (at least that’s my assumption) since it’s a secondhand part and it’s already attached.

Shame about the 5mm discrepancy. Hurting my OCD even before I’ve seen the thing haha!

I’m sure you won’t have a 5mm lip, mine fits perfectly. I’d still go ahead and drill the holes and use adhesive/sealer, then just screw it down and put a blanket over it to stop scratches. Then load it up with a few heavy objects to hold it down firmly while the sealant drys. I wouldn’t cut the screws off the bottom of the spoiler.

How come 5mm hurts your OCD but break lights dont ?. My car has brake lights.

Reactions: ch1z64