S3 HPFP cam follower change

sheardowns3

Reaction score
Hi all

I changed my HPFP cam follower today and it was hardly worn at all. The cars done 70000 miles so its been looked after in the past which is good to know :)

Heres some pictures of the old one.

bf63ad0a3389a327e4d0e44e3e9adb00.jpg

59c6809b06e21de5391d49c1fe562db3.jpg

3731b35e825e79e57338b0831020d86e.jpg

Reactions: leshkin
I changed mine at 50k when I bought it and it was like new.
I changed it again the other day after doing 10k on a Loba pump and it was as new too.
I don't think it's much of a problem these days.

What about the cam itself? Have you guys noticed much wear on that? I apreciate that it may not be easy to see without taking it out.

My cam lobe looks like new.
I wonder if some of the issues people have are more to do with the oil pick up being blocked limiting the oil feed to the cam

Yeah, that would be a problem. Hopefuly this is a non-issue for us now, but I will still be replacing my follower once the HPFP arrives some time in the next week or so.

My cam lobe looks like new.
I wonder if some of the issues people have are more to do with the oil pick up being blocked limiting the oil feed to the cam

Not long had my S3 and from searching this topic on Google it keeps fetching up 1.8t engines. Can you give me abit of clarity on this please mate, how can you tell it is blocked and what is the cure?

Thanks in advance,

What about the cam itself? Have you guys noticed much wear on that? I apreciate that it may not be easy to see without taking it out.

Cams on mine have been out a few times for work,and were as good as new at 70000 miles.

Not long had my S3 and from searching this topic on Google it keeps fetching up 1.8t engines. Can you give me abit of clarity on this please mate, how can you tell it is blocked and what is the cure?

Thanks in advance,
The 2.0 tfsi suffers from the oil pickup blocking too.
Seems to be helped along the way with longlife servicing.
I bought mine with 50k on and never had any symptoms but it had been on longlife servicing.
I replaced mine which looked fairly clear but after replacing it my engine is so much quieter!
Anyone with a tfsi with above 50k and been on longlife servicing would benefit.
Also great peace of mind when giving it some.

Cheers Marshy, so I'm guessing your on about replacing cam follower and it ran smoother/quieter?

And what are common symptoms of oil pick up pipe been blocked?

Thanks a lot

No mate the quieter and smoother was after I replaced the oil pickup pipe.
Symptoms of oil pick up pipe blocking up is usually noisy top end or more chattery than normal.
Others have not had any symptoms until the oil lights came on, which can be too late.
Cam follower makes no difference it's just a preventive job.