S3 how much power to rear wheels?

Personally,I would say that having made the claims,the onus is on yourself to prove them.

The "claims" are facts that have been published by Audi AG or Haldex themselves. There is nothing in my posts that is not available from the source.

I understand the differences in preload etc with the later systems.

With load shift(i.e.front end lift and slip under acceleration)it would be possible to direct more than 50% of the torque rearwards,but how a centre-mounted diff of this sort can direct 100% without the front being in a zero-load/100% slip condition I cannot see,but perhaps you can explain rather than simply saying that's it,disprove it.
The claim that the system "can send 100% of torque rearward without being in a 100% slip condition on the front axle" was never made. What I said was that there is nearly always some degree of slip on the front axle due to dynamic weight transfer or road condition and that proportional torque flows rearward to balance shaft speeds. So the claim that Haldex operates as a "fully FWD" vehicle most of the time are absolutely ridiculous. It never operates as a full front driver except when braking, which it does for stability on deceleration.

Having driven cars with diffs made by Haldex,Quaife and Torsen type diffs,I can honestly say that the Haldex even with an adjustable controller,is simply not as good as the Quaifes for instance,but obviously,there is a bias in terms of feel and driving characteristics in that,although the ability of a diff such as the Quaife to find traction is better than the Haldex.

What Quaife diff are you referring to? An LSD? A Haldex with LSDs would essentially be a fairly serious rally-type system, as that is more or less what the current Polo WRC is using -- front and rear axles joined via a solid prop shaft with a front and rear LSD. The eLSDs serve a similar purpose for the road cars, with the latest versions being much more effective (since they now also work at speeds above 100 km/h) and closer in performance to mech. LSDs. Regardless, I don't see what any of this has to do with the differences between a Torsen center diff and a Haldex unit, as both are paired with eLSDs in Audi road applications.

Last edited: