S3 Haldex Issue

szymonkrygier

Reaction score
Hello,

Last month I bought brand new Audi S3 8Y. Before 3000km mileage I changed oil & filters in the engine at dealership. After 3500km mileage I noticed my rear wheels are not engaging (no traction, TC icon on, slippery on acceleration). I contacted my dealership but they can take my car for investigation next week. I connected VCDS and scanned all error codes. There are some errors like:

13:
U1123 00 [040] - received value of fault
U1122 00 [040] - false information

17:
U1054 00 [008] - no communication

22:
C1112 13 [047] - Haldex pump: circuit break
16663 - ROD - unknown error code -00 [047]

23:
U0101 00 [040] - no communication with transmission driver
U14E4 00 [032] - received unknown value
U0167 00 [032] - no communication
C1187 F6 [032] - processing unknown error

44:
U1121 00 [032] - no communication

4B:
U1504 00 [008] - no communication
C118E 00 [008]
U1123 00 [008] - received value of fault
U1504 00 [008] - no communication
C118E 00 [008]
U1123 00 [008] - received value of fault

Can anyone give me any advice what could be wrong in my car?

I removed those errors and took my car for a test drive. Unfortunately, 16666 - C1112 13 [047] is back after 100 meters of driving. Could it be broken pump despite the fact it is brand new car?

I've read of Haldex issues with A3/S3s but it's a shame that happened to your brand new car, especially since you are taking good care of it with the early engine oil change after the break-in. I'd love to know if there are any contributing factors to early Haldex failure. Please report back once you have some news or a solution from the dealer.

I've read of Haldex issues with A3/S3s but it's a shame that happened to your brand new car, especially since you are taking good care of it with the early engine oil change after the break-in. I'd love to know if there are any contributing factors to early Haldex failure. Please report back once you have some news or a solution from the dealer.
Did you have the Haldex oil changed with your break in changes? Could it have been incorrectly/incompletely filled? I once did a 1500 mile "run in" on my 2015 Golf R. Absolute waste of money - the filter will capture everything and there wasn't much to capture - I ran the oil filter contents through a glass fibre filter paper under suction at the works lab and recovered the detritus- it amounted to 0.094g these cars are built to such tight tolerances these days.

Reactions: AdamInKent
Did you have the Haldex oil changed with your break in changes? Could it have been incorrectly/incompletely filled? I once did a 1500 mile "run in" on my 2015 Golf R. Absolute waste of money - the filter will capture everything and there wasn't much to capture - I ran the oil filter contents through a glass fibre filter paper under suction at the works lab and recovered the detritus- it amounted to 0.094g these cars are built to such tight tolerances these days.
The Haldex oil situation is a good question for the OP.
As for the engine oil, I don't see how changing that could have had any negative effect. If anything, it's an economical preventative measure in order to maintain good lubrication and viscosity characteristics of the oil in an already broken in car, plus some peace of mind if you are looking to keep the car after the warranty has expired.

The Haldex oil situation is a good question for the OP.
As for the engine oil, I don't see how changing that could have had any negative effect. If anything, it's an economical preventative measure in order to maintain good lubrication and viscosity characteristics of the oil in an already broken in car, plus some peace of mind if you are looking to keep the car after the warranty has expired.
I was looking to demonstrate the fact that for the engine oil, the 1500 mile oil change was of no benefit - a miniscule amount of detritus in the oil, captured by the filter. £40-60 unnecessarily spent.

Reactions: AdamInKent and vatdim
I was looking to demonstrate the fact that for the engine oil, the 1500 mile oil change was of no benefit - a miniscule amount of detritus in the oil, captured by the filter. £40-60 unnecessarily spent.
Your point is a valid one, but it's still difficult to extrapolate for an entire population based on one data point. My take is that each new car will be different, as the tolerances will always feature microscopic differences, and new owners will not all drive their new performance cars in the same fashion, under the same engine loads, or at the same RPM's. £40-60 is what I would see as some basic level of "insurance" that my newly broken in engine shall be performing up to spec, at least as far as I've been able to help it. However, I can totally see how for many people that would be overkill.

Your point is a valid one, but it's still difficult to extrapolate for an entire population based on one data point. My take is that each new car will be different, as the tolerances will always feature microscopic differences, and new owners will not all drive their new performance cars in the same fashion, under the same engine loads, or at the same RPM's. £40-60 is what I would see as some basic level of "insurance" that my newly broken in engine shall be performing up to spec, at least as far as I've been able to help it. However, I can totally see how for many people that would be overkill.
Don't forget also that my cost was based on doing my own oil change (oil, new sump plug and new filter) - getting the dealership to do it is simply burning money. There will be a few outliers but mass manufacturing has low levels of variation between units. Even worst case, unless you were taking 10s of grammes of detritus, the oil filter would catch it all and keep it in the filter. Avoid the long life servicing regime and go annually will do fine. If you feel the need for extra reassurance, get the factory warranty extension (I got that, adds a lot of reassurance for a private buyer at 4 years old to know they have 1 year of a proper warranty left).

The engine management system limits output for the first 620ish miles (1000km) and also before the oil reaches 70C thereafter - impossible to thrash a new or cold VAG engine these days (you can get the car close to the red line, but not with anywhere near full power in when running in or cold).

Reactions: AdamInKent
I will update soon after seeing dealership on Thursday.

Meanwhile I noticed my Haldex randomly started working yesterday. I didn't clear any errors. After I noticed my rear is engaging I connected VCDS to check Haldex parameters and yes it was working. Unfortunately, today I took my car for a ride again and it's not working again.

Update: It started working again now. Right now I am really confused. I believe I have an issue with electronics, not the Haldex itself. Will update after the visit in dealership.

Reactions: vatdim
I visited dealership yesterday. They checked everything and told me that my pump needs replacement. It has issue with electronics. Turns out I was very "lucky" to have this issue in a brand new. They had similar case one year ago but forgot to ask if it was 8Y too.

They ordered new part from Germany and they will replace it for me next week.

Thanks for help!

Reactions: vatdim
I visited dealership yesterday. They checked everything and told me that my pump needs replacement. It has issue with electronics. Turns out I was very "lucky" to have this issue in a brand new. They had similar case one year ago but forgot to ask if it was 8Y too.

They ordered new part from Germany and they will replace it for me next week.

Thanks for help!
I thought the Haldex pump problem was supposed to be resolved by now. Thanks for updating us!

Reactions: szymonkrygier