S3 / golf 7 R clutch

prt57

Reaction score
Hi, I normally lurk on the 8P forum where I have an S3 @ APR stage 2+.
My son has a 2016 Golf 7 R with a manual gearbox which will be the same as an S3 8V. The clutch is slipping and it is unlikely that VW will stand by the warranty due to the mileage. As he wants to have a remap he might as well go aftermarket and so he has explored the Sachs route. This appears to cope up to 410 ft lbs.
He told me today that a couple of the higher torque options options including a Helix sintered clutch require the dual mass flywheel from a Golf 6 R which is the same as the S3 8P.
Why will he need this flywheel rather than the original from his car which obviously puts the cost up?
Also, does anyone have any experience of these aftermarket clutches? He is keen to have something that will not slip but be driveable in traffic.
Thanks for your thoughts.

just out of intrest how many miles has the car done

There is a ton of detail on different options in the vwvortex & GOLFMK7 mk7 r/gti forums. Most popular for a daily seems like the rsr clutch

The car has done 7000 miles.
Isn't the rsr clutch from USA?
He is going to the Audi driver event tomorrow to get more information

at 11000 miles on my old a3 8v, my clutch began slipping. Took it to the dealer and they said it could be driver abuse but they will investigate. They found oil was leaking onto the clutch causing it to slip so they replaced everything under warranty. Its worth taking it in as it may jsut be that

The warranty states 6.5k miles. The gamble is that VW tell you that the bill to take it to pieces will be approx £600 and if they find that the driver has caused the damage you can add in the bill for the parts. However, if it is faulty, the bill will be covered. It is a gamble but I think the he will want Rick at Unicorn to breathe his magic on it. In this case the standard clutch will go again.
Maybe the standard clutch is far too weak but it is disappointing. It would put me off a new performance VAG car with a manual gearbox.
I also have a MK 4 GTI 1.8T with a high torque stage 1 map at 110K miles. Clutch is 80K old and is fine.

Back to original question, why does a sintered clutch need the MK 6 R DMF?

That's the first time I've heard about Mk6 R DMF. People use the standard DMF and there is also an uprated DMF and clutch.

Look on VRS Northamptons website it's on there and I believe is a very good option. That's what I'm going for I think once I get round to it.