S3 clutch

Scottishpedro

Reaction score
hi all

I have a 2007 s3 with 63k on the clock. It has a stage 1 map running around 300bhp. Last night, the clutch started slipping. I have done some searching about clutch options, and seen differing opinions.

I've read new standard clutch +/- a new flywheel should be ok for stage 1? I have also read that a new standard flywheel with a Sachs organic clutch (3000951830) could be better?

I really just want something that will last for some time but don't want the clutch characteristics altered too much (eg a heavy clutch putting my wife off using the car)

Thanks in advance

Pete

A stock clutch is borderline for Stg1/2 and a Sachs plus DMF would work well and feel pretty much like the original.

I had one for a few yrs with no problem at all.

If your clutch isn't slipping, but your biting point is stupidly high, is it best practice to get a new dmf or use the old one?

Was considering going sachs, but a new dmf is pricey on top of that.

Sorry to go off topic.

If your clutch isn't slipping, but your biting point is stupidly high, is it best practice to get a new dmf or use the old one?

Was considering going sachs, but a new dmf is pricey on top of that.

Sorry to go off topic.

Ideally the DMF and clutch should be changed together.

A stock clutch is borderline for Stg1/2 and a Sachs plus DMF would work well and feel pretty much like the original.

I had one for a few yrs with no problem at all.

Thanks for the reply. I think this is the correct Sachs clutch and stock luk dmf that is required?

Amazon product

Amazon product

Are there other parts required for the job?

Cheers in advance

Pete

Hi Pete......sorry, I'm not the guy to ask for part numbers I'm afraid.

I'm good at sourcing new parts,but I have to leave the specifics to my guys or to the supplier.
Someone else will pop along ahortly and confirm I'm sure.

The pedal is stupidly heavy with the organic compared to the original though, so much so that it may put your other half off using the car

The pedal is stupidly heavy with the organic compared to the original though, so much so that it may put your other half off using the car

I never found that problem with the organic,so there may be some variation in feel?

Surely this is a benefit? :wink:

I have to admit after so many people saying the clutch feels barely any different and only slightly more heavy I was quite surprised when my uprated clutch was fitted. Considerably more stiff and less progressive, it's gets to a point where it just springs up by surprise!

If you are planning on tuning I would recommend the upgrade though as otherwise you may be changing the clutch sooner than you think.

I wouldn't, the clutch is awful. I don't expect mine to last much longer and it's only done 4,500 miles. The DMF is knackered too because of the judder on the bite that the clutch creates.

My Sachs organic has been fine so far on 2+, done maybe 6k now, the pedal did feel quite a bit heavier first time i got in it but after a couple of days just got used to it and don't even notice now.

Look at spec clutches they do a range of clutches to suit your torque requirements

Reactions: S3Alex
I can only say good things about the Sachs,as it treated me very well up to way beyond it's rating.
I know some have experienced early failures,and also that this clutch doesn't like drag starts.

The problem with most of the tougher clutches,such as the Spec range is that they use a SMF flywheel,and you will get some ratttling from that at idle.
I've run a Spec Stg3+ for a few yrs,and it's still going strong at 540lbs.

Same experience with Sachs organic and standard LUK DMF, all good and presently holding 397lbft torque just fine. Slightly heavier pedal but nothing worth mentioning