S3 bottom end into 2.0tfsi

grainqey

Reaction score
Hello,

It may seem like a bit of a stupid question but can the S3 rods and pistons with the larger gudgion? pin be used to replace the AXX/BWA parts rather than just replacing the rods which will still have the 19mm? pin?

Gone to the K04 turbo in mine and it looks like i'll be doing the rods but it'd make more sense to use the S3 pistons and matching rods - as I understand, they use the same cranks so that end shouldn't be a problem

Thanks
Alex

thanks for the reply but what rods does everybody go for with the standard S3 pistons?
Mines only FWD so I don't really need more than a K04

Thanks

Just to update this, when I get boost spikes i'm hitting approx. 340-365ft.ib / 460-500nm depending how bad it spikes at 4-5500rpm and its not gone bang (yet)
Alex

You probably already know this,but the S3 bottom end is good for around 440lbs,so it's pretty solid.

...this is on the AXX rods Alex - I fitted the K04 and had a map put on it, I get a bit of clutch slip when it spikes so I need to do the rods and have the map tweaked so its a smoother delivery.

By the way Alex, would you go for THS rods or IE?

Thanks

...this is on the AXX rods Alex - I fitted the K04 and had a map put on it, I get a bit of clutch slip when it spikes so I need to do the rods and have the map tweaked so its a smoother delivery.

By the way Alex, would you go for THS rods or IE?

Thanks

Both myself and AMD got the impression a few yrs back when we were building mine,that most of the rods come from the same place,and are finished by individual companies.

Personally now,I would either go for PEC,whose rods I have in the car already,and Wossner pistons,or from IE,who have been superb,and very helpful with parts for my car.

Reactions: grainqey
From what I've read on the Web the rods on axx/bwa ain't that bad they can handle the torque a k04 produces all day long it's the pistons that have failed on the the two big power k04 this is also down to the map. A good map on a k04 tfsi std internals will be fine a poor map on the other hand will destroy the best pistons and rods. As you said you won't be going bigger than a k04 being fwd there are a couple of sets of ed 30 and s3 rods and pistons in the classifieds on here these will be more than sufficient if you feel the need to upgrade from k03 internals.

Reactions: grainqey